PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 03:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC SuperSonic
Carrier: Sprint

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alrighty then!

I'll create a "proposed process" thread tomorrow to see what kind of feedback we get. If we're lucky, we can have the process nailed by the end of the week. We'll then begin defining the requirements for our first build.

May the wind be at our backs!

Audiovox Thera-Samsung i700-Verizon PPC 6600-Sprint 6700-Sprint Mogul-Sprint Touch-HTC Touch Diamond-HTC Hero-HTC SuperSonic (EVO)
Old 02-21-2007, 04:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

Elbimster is a n00b
Send a message via ICQ to Elbimster Send a message via AIM to Elbimster Send a message via MSN to Elbimster Send a message via Yahoo to Elbimster
Guys, everything sounds great, and I'd love to do what I can to assist with the project. I have little programming knowledge (by little, I mean none). I'd love to throw my name out as a project tester though. Having 2 6700's, I can test experimental versions of ROM's without worrying about messing up my main phone.

Additionally, I'd be thrilled to donate money to be put towards a server for hosting the ROM's, and i'm sure I wouldn't be the only one in the group willing to do so. Just throwin' it out there, but what if we set it up to where you could only access the server if you donate money? Someone could set up a paypal account to handle the donations, have them go towards paying for a server or perhaps it could be divided up amongst the programmers directly, based on how much work each put into it. Any thoughts?

I know people wouldn't be doing this for the money, but sadly some of it is necessary to really get a project like this going, and to make it really work.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Sogarth is a n00b
I speak only for myself, but I would prefer to head off any discussions of money. Some may like getting money out of this, but so far as I'm concerned, we as a community would have a much harder time justifying ourselves and our actions in modifying ROMs (which is a legal gray area at best) if we brought money into the mix. And that's without even bringing up logistical issues (which would quickly become ugly, I'd imagine). I appreciate the sentiment, but from my standpoint, I would vote that any proposed donations go instead towards PPCGeeks itself, since, well, if it weren't for this forum and community, none of us would be here talking about this right now.

All of you may now flame me for my non-capitalist viewpoint. Flame-retardant suit, on!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC SuperSonic

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff
Process proposal has been posted here: http://www.ppcgeeks.com/ppcgeeks-uni...sal-t3007.html
Old 02-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Absolutely agree Sogarth (and Elbimster I appreciate where you're coming from to make that suggestion). Yes, making any of this a paid endeavor greatly complicates the legal situation (and even if it didn't this feels much more like an open source project, with enthusiasts helping out because they want to, and see the benefit of working together). I'm no pinko commie () but with this thing I think everything is kept much more pure (including peoples' motives for getting involved) if we stick to a volunteer effort.

But the idea of donating to Mike (Wideawake) to help pay for the hosting is a great one. For the most part this site has been extremely fast loading (compare that to PDAPhoneHome) and I really appreciate the very minimal advertising placed on the site (eat your heart out PDAPhoneHome). I don't know Mike's costs for running the site, but I really doubt he could be making a profit. For one, he just switched hosts and added FTP hosting, so I'm sure his costs have risen. And if this thing takes off bandwidth and storage are going to keep shooting up.

It's up to Mike if he wants to enforce a donation system, but I for one hope he doesn't. I think it kind of ruins the spirit of a place. Look at xda-dev and what they've been able to accomplish, all with just a voluntary PayPal button on their site. I think that's the best way. There wll always be leachers--but even with pay for access, stuff will get leaked out in the open anyway.

Anyway, keep up all of the good discussion guys. The more we flesh these kinds of issues out now the closer we get to putting this thing into action.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
Thanks for the great idea slogath. Looks like ur ideas gonna take off I will never ask ppl for money. As luv2chill stated we just moved, and this is our "home" now. BW on the FTP is out of this world! But the package I purchased should be able to handle it without BW throttling. Heck there are several ways to support PPCGeeks absolutely free and ur correct I'm not making a profit. Just getting by which is fine. This is my hobby and I love it! Do it out of my own passion for these devices. Now I'm not saying I may turn this into a business adventure.....with a story a what not. But that's probably months from now....if it ever happens. As long as I'm around, PPCGeeks will be, so enjoy....read up, and customize!
~Mike

Old 02-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: verizon

vxspiritxv is a n00b
Hi, long time reader, first time poster (here anyways).

I would suggest doing this app biased rather than web biased, once the vanilla aku is done. Something like gentoo's portage. At least the idea anyways, I'm not saying it has to be anything like portage. I just think it should be done this way, so that we don't rely on a website being up to date every time a little change goes into an addon.

Also make it easier for people to 'try' things with out having to wait for the website to rebuild it and download it. Also an addon could also remove things from the vanilla like help files to save space.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:20 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Should we try and get the OEMs under control, or is having them be "free range" ok?

To me, we could use at least 2 more forums - one for the kitchen development effort and one for oem developers. I don't care if they're open to anyone, but it would be nice to have all the various discussions in their own areas - as it is now things get mishmashed (and I admit, I am the worst offender there)
Old 02-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
Guys let me do some thinking and I will add a development section....any ideas on its structure?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:12 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
I think what schettj stated plus one more:

Kitchen Dev
-development on the base kitchens (3.3 / 3.5)
-tweaks and instructions (hmmm...sounds more wiki-ish to me... )

OEM Dev
-requests for OEMs
-OEM development
-Listing of current OEMs available

Custom ROMs
-koncepts post being stickied and all of the other custom ROM discussions being held here
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development