PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   ROM/Kitchen Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Acer Tempo M900 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148420)

bob6137 12-18-2011 10:07 PM

Acer Tempo M900

I plan on a custom WM 6.1 rom for my acer M900.

detailed stats on pdadb: Acer M900 / Tempo M900 Detailed Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Smartphone, Tablet, Netbook, PDA, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications Database

The rom wil be kept on a spare sdcard (my preferred flashing method; usb method not working, WinMo Device Center working tho) for flashing in case of need w/o pc acces - emergency or other reasons.

I also plan to remove some of the Acer bundled apps in the extrom; keep the ones I need and add some others that I use. extrom dir shows acer bundled apps in 'cab' format with xml using ''wap provisioning' method; I'm thinking of making use of this to add my own apps to extrom for initial device setup install. however I also noticed a "master installer" exe in there that does all the installing (I am given some choices on what I can/want to install from those extrom cabs during device setup).

I'm also considering adding the FPU accelerator if possible to auto start as a 'service' (or not be visible in task manager) so it wouldnt close if I choose to "end all tasks" from task manager.

using official acer rom : OS_ACER_0204.WWE_WM61_M900
[CE OS 5.2.20772 AKU:1.4.7]

Q: do cabs in extrom need to be signed to be correctly installed during initial device setup? if yes is there need for a specific certificate?

breaking down the temp.dat / temp.bin gives dat (assuming nb format?) files: os / boot / usbdl / knight / ipl / logo.
Q: what does the boot.dat and ipl.dat contail?

also I assume the USBDL is something responsable for the actual firmware update (firmware loader with core files necesarry for the procedure). during flashing I get a USBDL plus a version number. then details on flashing various parts of the firmware.

there is no "radio/gsm" file/component in the wwe0204 official rom and from reading on the subject I assume that its simply not included in the respective rom version. I also noticed a few updates including only radio, for an orange spv m3100

[B]Q: are rom files 'modulary' in structure? would it be possible to flash only extrom or radio or several components while ommiting others?

Q: would not including the USBDL file in the resulting cooked rom save me from posibility of bricking my device by not flashing the 'firmware-bootloader' or on the contrary result in a bricked device?

Q: is ervius visual kitchen a good idea for the acer m900?

O could use some help/advice on what tools would be better suited for this. I am also reading up on the subject but most links seem dead and little activity on the subject (wm 6.1 cooking and acer wm devices)

I am using kva's tools; the archive was labeled with acer dx900,which is dual sim - should I worry?

also splitting the rom seems to yield correct files, but thats based on assumption. extrom folder for example shows up right after split/unpack. I get no errors. but I understand the component sections start at specific offsets. is there a way to be sure? (apart from leap of faith flashing)

is using "imgfstools" from the old Htc hermes 100 kitchen ok?

what other tools should I look for?