PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   ROM/Kitchen Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Virtual machine (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=116444)

gokudre 03-31-2010 12:51 PM

Virtual machine

I have a new 27" Imac. I have the parrells program installed. Im running windows 7 through parrells. Parrellels still treats windows 7 as a virtual machine. I having major issues trying to flash custom roms through this set up. My girlfriend just lent out the laptop we had that was running winxp so now im screwed. Is there a workaround to flash this through parrelles on windows 7 virtual machine....

lioncat55 03-31-2010 02:34 PM

Re: Virtual machine

Why are you no not using bootcamp? From what I know about macs is that bootcamp is what you are looking for not parrells

gokudre 03-31-2010 06:21 PM

nope... i use windows sparingly and im not in the mood to completly shut down my mac to log into windows. parrellels does exactly that. runs windows parrellel to mac os at the same time. Theres even a slider you can adjust how much resources you wanna dedicate to the windows side of things when its running.

Zaphod-Beeblebrox 04-03-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gokudre (Post 1672097)
I have a new 27" Imac. I have the parrells program installed. Im running windows 7 through parrells. Parrellels still treats windows 7 as a virtual machine. I having major issues trying to flash custom roms through this set up. My girlfriend just lent out the laptop we had that was running winxp so now im screwed. Is there a workaround to flash this through parrelles on windows 7 virtual machine....

Why not flash from the Storage Card?

alinosa 04-05-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gokudre (Post 1672863)
parrellels does exactly that. runs windows parrellel to mac os at the same time.

This means that you *ARE* running a virtual machine with windows as a client OS. You might try virtual box from sun or even vmware to get better options for interfacing with your phone. By far the safest way is a native windows box or a windows partition on your mac.

GL

LinearBurn 04-06-2010 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alinosa (Post 1682635)
This means that you *ARE* running a virtual machine with windows as a client OS. You might try virtual box from sun or even vmware to get better options for interfacing with your phone. By far the safest way is a native windows box or a windows partition on your mac.

GL

vmware alowes direct usb access so be a much better prog i have flashed my touch with it before on a xp load

gokudre 04-06-2010 08:16 AM

Thanks guys for all your help!! i did a lot of research before i purchased this and found that parallels was the better of the two (vs vmware) I really didn't weigh in that i would be flashing a phone. Its not really a priority. but i have figured it out. Appreciate all your help.

gokudre 04-06-2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaphod-Beeblebrox (Post 1678979)
Why not flash from the Storage Card?

PERFECT!!!! all set. Thanks a ton

piranah 04-06-2010 05:08 PM

wouldnt virtual box work too?

gokudre 04-06-2010 10:18 PM

Im not sure but copying the files toi my sd card and going into bootloader mode works just as easy and means i can flash while away from a pc completly.