PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
compression

when building a rom what does compression do for the actual rom other then make the nbh smaller? does it also make the rom smaller when flashed to the phone? is the any down side to it?

Old 01-15-2010, 03:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid @ 1.1GHz
Carrier: VZW

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to raidzero
Re: compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianh85 View Post
when building a rom what does compression do for the actual rom other then make the nbh smaller? does it also make the rom smaller when flashed to the phone? is the any down side to it?
IMO, LZX compression slows the ROM, since items need to be uncompressed to be accessed, but does decrease size of the ROM.

XPR compression I think is similar to LZX

UPX compression is where it's at in my book. This is done on exe's and makes them smaller AND load faster by the ROM. Only non .NET exes can be UPX'ed. there is a batch script called squeezer that I recommend

CFC - for manila. I do this and for me it makes a big difference in smoothness of manila.

my 2 cents
Old 01-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Threadstarter

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidzero View Post
IMO, LZX compression slows the ROM, since items need to be uncompressed to be accessed, but does decrease size of the ROM.

XPR compression I think is similar to LZX

UPX compression is where it's at in my book. This is done on exe's and makes them smaller AND load faster by the ROM. Only non .NET exes can be UPX'ed. there is a batch script called squeezer that I recommend

CFC - for manila. I do this and for me it makes a big difference in smoothness of manila.

my 2 cents
so where do i find cfc so i can use it with manilla 2.5? and can i use it while using a kitchen?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 PM
N00b

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianh85 View Post
so where do i find cfc so i can use it with manilla 2.5? and can i use it while using a kitchen?
there is a separate version for 2.5, yes it is meant to be used either on manila files on a device, or in a folder to be cooked in. simply open up cfc_gui and point it at each files directory for each of the manila components, what I do is then just click tools patch manila, this will create two new dlls for the system to utilize the compressed files, you only need these in the core directory, the directory where the patched exes reside. You will need to recmod any modules that are to be patched and then it is up to you whether to leave them as files or modulate them.

cfc_gui 2.5:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=95963
Old 01-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidzero View Post
there is a separate version for 2.5, yes it is meant to be used either on manila files on a device, or in a folder to be cooked in. simply open up cfc_gui and point it at each files directory for each of the manila components, what I do is then just click tools patch manila, this will create two new dlls for the system to utilize the compressed files, you only need these in the core directory, the directory where the patched exes reside. You will need to recmod any modules that are to be patched and then it is up to you whether to leave them as files or modulate them.

cfc_gui 2.5:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=95963
yeah please pm me so u can help me with that!!

edit there is a how to

Last edited by Adrianh85; 01-15-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:09 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Carrier: Sprint

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

CFC'd 2.5 is posted @ XDA....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...49&postcount=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarullz
Manila 2.5 VGA Porting Progress & Downloads
You can found all the newest update of ported Manila 2.5 files/packages.
All the porting progress (changelogs) can be found here >>
All the work files can be found here >>

WHAT SHOULD I DO?, WHAT SHOULD I DOWNLOAD?, HOW TO COOK IT?

** Click on the date to know update info for the downloads

BUILD 1921 *

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 01-21-2010, 02:30 AM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

also compressing the png files saves space, a lot of space and makes apps run faster since the png files will load quicker. PNG is the only image type that can be compressed without loosing quality also. Check out PNGMonster http://www.vbgore.com/PNG_Monster
Old 01-21-2010, 10:19 AM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandestroyx View Post
also compressing the png files saves space, a lot of space and makes apps run faster since the png files will load quicker. PNG is the only image type that can be compressed without loosing quality also. Check out PNGMonster http://www.vbgore.com/PNG_Monster
true, but be careful not to compress EVERY png! some look like crap and some just flat out stop displaying. The ones that come to mind are Shared Resource/HTC Framework, any WM theme files..

I png monstered my entire kitchen, took like 2 hours. saved a bunch of space but a few things broke, I recommend compressing a few packages at a time so when something is broken you have a more narrow scope of possible screw-ups to work with
Old 01-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Elite Team Member
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6850, Q, i730, Athena tp2 ++++
Carrier: Sprint and ATT

AstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIP

If you CFC make sure to give credit on your release page to the author of CFC, Chainfire from xda

Donate to TP2 Elite Team: http://alturl.com/5in6
Old 01-31-2010, 05:47 PM
Threadstarter

Wirelessly posted (AdrianH85(TP2): Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstainHellbring
If you CFC make sure to give credit on your release page to the author of CFC, Chainfire from xda
will do!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development