PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx
Carrier: Sprint

French700wx is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
700wx Owner looking to upgrade to 800wx

If this thread or something along the lines of it exists elsewhere feel free to remove it.

I have a 700wx, and I'm happy with it. But, today I started to look into the 800w, and it's very nice. I'm just getting mixed signals, and I'm wondering if anyone could put simply whether or not to make the move from my current phone to the 800w. I'm mainly concerned with battery life and if its buggy at all. I've heard that the battery life isn't very good, and even after looking through various other threads about it, I can't seem to figure out if it's really that bad or not. As for problems with it, I read something about a backlight issue, whats that? And are there any other problems with the phone?

tl;dr, switch from 700wx to 800w, wise or not?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 800w

wooster019 is a n00b
Re: 700wx Owner looking to upgrade to 800wx

If you are relatively satisfied with your 700 and not in a huge rush, I'd wait and get the Treo Pro when that arrives on Sprint. It should have much better battery life (though my 800 is on par with other WinMo phones, I always welcome improvements to battery life). I have not found the 800w to be any more or less buggy than other standard WinMo phones on the market (and I've owned many of them).

Last edited by wooster019; 11-03-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

French700wx is a n00b

Thanks for that, I think I might take that advice, since I've had my 700wx for awhile and I like it a lot. As for the backlight issue, have you (or anyone viewing this thread for that matter) experienced that?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

Kamzilla is a n00b

I went from the 700WX as well, and have mixed feelings about the 800. First off, I'm about to be on my third one - the first was had horrible call quality, the second's rinder would work only when the sun, moon, and stars were in perfect alignment, and the third caught the blue screen of death. While I'm waiting for a third replacement to come in, I'm using my 700WX. WHile it's slower, doesn't have GPS and WiFi, and the screen quality isn't as good, I feel like the leap between the two isn't all that major. THe 800 feels like an upgrade of the 700, but not much else. For me, it lost the wow factor really quickly, and I'm already thinking about asking Sprint to switch me to the HTC Touch Pro. With the 700, I didn't feel ready to switch until way later.

Batterywise, the 700WX wins hands down. WIth push mail, texts, and calls throughout the day, my 700 lasted at least two days. The 800 has to be charged each night. Call quality sounds muffled too. The 800 feels better built, but for a phone that took so long to bring to market, it shouldn't have so many shortcomings, IMHO.

Haven't had the backlight issue, but wondering what will go wrong with phone #3....
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 800w

wooster019 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzilla View Post
Batterywise, the 700WX wins hands down. WIth push mail, texts, and calls throughout the day, my 700 lasted at least two days. The 800 has to be charged each night. Call quality sounds muffled too. The 800 feels better built, but for a phone that took so long to bring to market, it shouldn't have so many shortcomings, IMHO.
Did you ever try tweaking the settings on the 800w to extend battery life (like turn GPS to 911 only, turn beam off, etc.)?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 800w

wolfiered1 is a n00b

I have gotten a lot happier with my 800w after installing a number of free applications and hacks. Solved my battery issues (turned off GPS and auto e-mail sync), now waiting to see who is going to delivery a microUSB to 3.5mm headset adapter for my Shure headset.

Still looking for hack to resolve low volume for headset, Palm must have turned it way down so it wouldn't damage the crappy headset that comes with system? I also see there is a microUSB adpater for 2 microUSB into the microUSB on the 800w.

Haven't tried the RealVGA yet, but probably soon.

My unit has been pretty stable so far, even with a number of 3rd party apps and all the hacks I have done to make the phone better. There are some great people on all the Treo/WM/etc forums giving great help, info and hacks/apps.

I am very interested in the Lakeridgesoftware.com WizBar, this app has some very cool Today screen mods. Can make your 800w look like an IPhone.

good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by French700wx View Post
If this thread or something along the lines of it exists elsewhere feel free to remove it.

I have a 700wx, and I'm happy with it. But, today I started to look into the 800w, and it's very nice. I'm just getting mixed signals, and I'm wondering if anyone could put simply whether or not to make the move from my current phone to the 800w. I'm mainly concerned with battery life and if its buggy at all. I've heard that the battery life isn't very good, and even after looking through various other threads about it, I can't seem to figure out if it's really that bad or not. As for problems with it, I read something about a backlight issue, whats that? And are there any other problems with the phone?

tl;dr, switch from 700wx to 800w, wise or not?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

Kamzilla is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooster019 View Post
Did you ever try tweaking the settings on the 800w to extend battery life (like turn GPS to 911 only, turn beam off, etc.)?
Yes, I did all of that the very first day I got the phone.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

The Lance is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to The Lance Send a message via MSN to The Lance

battery life on the 800w was great when I had it.. I went 4 days with normal usage and it worked fine for me.. I am not seeing all these battery issues that people are talking about.. just make sure you don't have programs running in the background that drains battery.. thats the same on any windows mobile phone though
Old 11-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

French700wx is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzilla View Post
I went from the 700WX as well, and have mixed feelings about the 800. First off, I'm about to be on my third one - the first was had horrible call quality, the second's rinder would work only when the sun, moon, and stars were in perfect alignment, and the third caught the blue screen of death. While I'm waiting for a third replacement to come in, I'm using my 700WX.
Oh wow, that's lousy, I hope for you that the third time is the charm. At any rate, an account of usage like that is what I've been looking for, and that doesn't seem promising to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lance View Post
battery life on the 800w was great when I had it.. I went 4 days with normal usage and it worked fine for me.. I am not seeing all these battery issues that people are talking about.
This is weird for me to read, I've seen a couple people saying that the battery is great, while many others say it sucks.

Bah, with all the negative things floating around about the 800w, I think I may not get it. Over the past couple days I've really been looking into the HTC Mogul, and I like it a lot so far. Any thoughts on that?

By the way, I really appreciate the help I'm getting here, these forums rock.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:54 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

French700wx is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfiered1 View Post
I have gotten a lot happier with my 800w after installing a number of free applications and hacks. Solved my battery issues (turned off GPS and auto e-mail sync), now waiting to see who is going to delivery a microUSB to 3.5mm headset adapter for my Shure headset.

Still looking for hack to resolve low volume for headset, Palm must have turned it way down so it wouldn't damage the crappy headset that comes with system? I also see there is a microUSB adpater for 2 microUSB into the microUSB on the 800w.

Haven't tried the RealVGA yet, but probably soon.

My unit has been pretty stable so far, even with a number of 3rd party apps and all the hacks I have done to make the phone better. There are some great people on all the Treo/WM/etc forums giving great help, info and hacks/apps.

I am very interested in the Lakeridgesoftware.com WizBar, this app has some very cool Today screen mods. Can make your 800w look like an IPhone.

good luck.
As for this, that's awesome that yours is working well, the thing for me is, I'd rather not have to install a bunch of applications just to have the phone work, I just want a phone I can activate and basically just use, like I did with my wx.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison