PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 07:54 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch
Carrier: Sprint

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Motorola Photon Q ?????

What do you guys think about the motorola photon q that was announced by sprint

RELEASE Date 8/19/12

the specs on the phone dont seem mind blowing compared to the sgs3 or evo 4g lte but will definitely hold its own and most importantly of all it has a full qwerty keyboard not just that crap touchscreen keyboard

heres some specs

Android 4.0.4, Ice Cream Sandwich
1.5 GHz dual-core processor
Rear-facing 8MP camera with 1080p video capture and playback so you can leave your digital camera at home. Plus, those photos can be set to automatically upload to Google+ so you don’t have to worry about accidently deleting them.
Front-facing HD camera for easy Google+ Hangout video chats or conference calls
Mirror mode when connected with HDMI cable (sold separately) to view images, files and movies on a larger screen, like your TV at home.
Sprint ID, offering an innovative way to personalize an Android smartphone with apps, widgets, ringtones and more all, in a single download
NFC support to share links, apps, YouTube clips and more with Android Beam

Im definately getting this (unless htc comes out with something better, and no more samsung for me their radios suck) as i need the keyboard since i use my phone heavily for work and screen keyboards take up to much screen real estate

do you guys think that this is a Epic 4g, shift, and a Touch pro 2 (for those who are still on it) replacement??

Edit: this might be what @gTen has been waiting for to replace his epic 4g if he hasnt already

Last edited by masetas; 08-15-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:31 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint Motorola Photon Q ?????

Well for me personally I am going to decide once we get LTE here in NYC, and see if it reaches my house. In my house I get like 3 bars max for sprint and wimax is 2-3 houses away(grrr lol). So until I can confirm LTE in my area there is not much point in upgrading my sprint line. So far I am using my verizon line more then my sprint line (though I have a keyboardless droid charge and I don't enjoy it as much as I do my epic, using a none keyboard phone kills all the enjoyment other then watching movies on it)

Now as far as the radios go, it depends what your getting. For example, the epic radio and gs2 radio were not that great, the radio on the gs3 I hear is pretty good. Also from what I hear samsung makes the best LTE radios, (my verizon samsung phone does pretty good on LTE).

I think the reason why samsung has poor cdma radios has to do with the qualcomm chipset they use for cdma. Most qualcomm processors have cdma radios built in, but none qualcomm processors have to get a qualcomm motherboard chipset with separate radios. Samsung unfortunately for the Epic and GS2 chose to use an OLD motherboard which probably why the radio performance is what it is.

By the way I posted a much more detailed spec sheet directly from motorola:

Motorola PHOTON Q 4G LTE Fact Sheet - Fact Sheets - Motorola Mobility, Inc.

As far as seeing a keyboard phone for HTC, I kind of doubt it. Sprint plans to release 3 keyboard phones. One from LG, one from Motorola and one from Kyocera. The Kyocera is a low end phone. The LG from what I remember is better then the kyocera but worse then the Motorola. If sprint is dishing out 3 keyboard phones I doubt they will have room for a 4th. Too bad none of the keyboard phones are at galaxy s3/One X level. Though this motorola comes very very close, it fails at battery size and resolution though.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-09-2012, 10:37 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Release date is rumored to be August 19th

Rumor: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE launching at Sprint on August 19 | PhoneDog
Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Pre-orders are up!

Motorola Photon Q - Pre-order

$200. Though personally unless your in a hurry I would wait to see how wirefly, amazonwireless, letstalk price it.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:01 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Sprint is offering 100$ amex if you open a new line.

Cheapest price for upgrades I found at wirefly friends and family for 149.99.

Last edited by gTen; 08-14-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:49 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff

Ive heard that the radio on the og photon was strong so i hoping it will be the same deal with this one..

HTC evo 4g lte is also said to have a good radio signal and the sgs3 is still having issues just like with sgs2

my main reasons for getting this will be the radio (signal) and the hard keyboard
Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
Ive heard that the radio on the og photon was strong so i hoping it will be the same deal with this one..

HTC evo 4g lte is also said to have a good radio signal and the sgs3 is still having issues just like with sgs2

my main reasons for getting this will be the radio (signal) and the hard keyboard
I am thinking of getting one but have not decided. I have an Epic and a Droid Charge and while I like the Droid Charge's screen and fast LTE speeds its not as fun to use as the Epic.

The biggest thing that has me hesitate is I hear LG is going to soon release that quad core S4 on sprint with the new Adreno 320 GPU and 2gb ram. And while it doesn't have a keyboard its specs make me drool...even though I know deep down I'll enjoy using a keyboard phone much much more..maybe I should just get both lol

I guess I'll decide when the motorola phone comes out and I can play with the keyboard to get a feel for it. I am hoping the keys are not going to be a problem since there does not seem to be much spacing in between them. Though hopefully since the phone size is 4.3" in person the keys themselves will be bigger and make up the difference.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

@gTen the LG with specs like that is crazy and the sgs3 is also tempting cause of all the specs it comes with and how nice it looks and i was gonna be one first ones to pre order it but the lack of keyboard its just hard when i have to write long emails/text and when i want to do some work on it the onscreen keyboard takes up to much screen space also i talked to a buddy of mine and he says the signal is not the great on it (which some said it was fixed)

all the glitz and glamour on a smartphone with crazy specs are useless if it doesnt work 100% of the time for its main function which is making/receiving calls instead of them going to voicemail even though your phone never rang

i had og epic (sgs1)/epic touch (sgs2) and wanted to get the sgs3 but oh well..

Does motorola smartphones come with apps to access office word/excel?
video editor/ picture editor?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
@gTen the LG with specs like that is crazy and the sgs3 is also tempting cause of all the specs it comes with and how nice it looks and i was gonna be one first ones to pre order it but the lack of keyboard its just hard when i have to write long emails/text and when i want to do some work on it the onscreen keyboard takes up to much screen space also i talked to a buddy of mine and he says the signal is not the great on it (which some said it was fixed)
I understand as well, as I said using a keyboard phone is important for my work and is much more enjoyable. Have you tried surfing the web with the keyboard out? The experience is on a different level. The problem with touchscreen for web surfing is its too obstructive and hard to use shortcuts.

As far as whether it is fixed or not, don't they all use the same processor with radio built in? So if there is a difference it is either software related like radio firmware or depends on their location. If you remember the good ole TP2 days where people would claim 1 radio is better then another but it would differ for each person.

Quote:
all the glitz and glamour on a smartphone with crazy specs are useless if it doesnt work 100% of the time for its main function which is making/receiving calls instead of them going to voicemail even though your phone never rang
yes...but as a gadget enthusiast it is hard to resist shiny :P. Personally I want a keyboard phone with all best specs..but unfortunately have to settle for what we get.

Quote:
Does motorola smartphones come with apps to access office word/excel?
video editor/ picture editor?
Well sprint is marketing it as a business phone so obviously it does. I don't know if you seen my post in the epic forum but I included the link to the official motorola spec sheet and it lists it having Quickoffice. (Even though I have a free license of quick office from Amazon free app of the day and I also have a OfficeSuite Professional 6 for free too from app of the day and Documents to Go as free app of the day lol).

Motorola PHOTON Q 4G LTE Fact Sheet - Fact Sheets - Motorola Mobility, Inc.

But if you missed all those, there is also Kingsoft Office available for free on google market which people are saying is really good. Has a 4.6 rating by 22,000 people.

On an unrelated note i just found out google bought quickoffice, interesting.

As far as image editing, no clue. I got picsay and picshop for free on amazon free app of the day but never used them lol

If you want something free and have web access and are not editing something confidential there is Adobe Photoshop express for free.

Video editing I have no clue.

--------------

Edit: cheapest price for upgrade I found is now 139.99

Last edited by gTen; 08-16-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

tt C6 is keeping up the good worktt C6 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I've had the phone since Friday.
It's time for a Motorola Photon Q 4g LTE forum.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison