PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2 (R.I.P) / htc EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premuim
Threadstarter

aedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Thinking about moving on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
i was a samsung hater and i even posted my views about it in my wp7 thread but after talking with gten he made me give them a chance and that was for original epic and i loved that phone and still do but i sold mine but friday im getting another for 50$ but new touch is just amazing and is even better than "old" epic and as far as shift goes reception was great and i liked seeing sense again since its been awhile (tp2) since i used it but phone is way too small and not much development going on imo. i guess for a daily driver its fine but i like to tweak my devices and it just wasnt there for me.
Ya, I know for a fact that my area wont have great reception because there are 2 3g towers down and I only have open space reception for 4g

I love sence, and your right, the looks I have given into the shift threads are dead..
There isnt much of anything going on

Good news is tho, Sharkie Is working on trying to make an EVO rom.
From what I see the EVO and the EVO shift are very similar as far as files and such

Now Im not saying that if he finishes his evo rom that id try it on my shift (assuming i get it) cause I know it wont work, but maybe he could let me in on what to do to make my own rom

But i can GAURENTEE that if I get a shift, I WILL be developing for it lol
Ive not seen any dusk style taskbars or keyboards
I actually supplied a guy with images and he was working on a taskbar.
I dont know how far he got but he told me that he would let me know as soon as he finishes it.

If he doesnt I'll just make my own
I just know that the little bit I have looking into android development (cause of my brothers android) gave me rediculus headaches.

Idk..
I'll look into the samsung again.. But ive never really liked them
thanks for your insight
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

my friend owns a sprint store and im there now and shift is like tp2/epic 4g next on sprints list of dead phones so there making room i guess but its next to die. looks like iphony is coming in oct. though. lol
Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedon View Post
@eric

Well I knew you would say that lol.

But the truth is.. I havnt seen a single thing on from the wp7 that I find appealing..

I mean ya.. the keyboard as almost exact and I do really like the phone from physical appeal.

The issue is that I havnt found anything appealing about the device when I used it at my sprint store..
I have grown really acustomed to all the flashy apps and mods. I mean I made my keyboard and messaging skins on windows mobile.. It feels like home...

Its just that all the videos I have seen over the arrive.. well any windows 7 phone for that matter.. Theres just no appeal to me because of its simplicity.
I love the HTC sence interface.. the vedios I watched had mentioned that Microsoft said that HTC had to use the overly generalized and simplified home screen..
That and I just bought a 16gb sd card and the arrive doesnt hold card >.>

I dont like that at all
And I havnt really been able to find anything on the mango you keep talking about.
If you can give me some better insight I might reconcider.

@darren
Thanks for the input but you really havnt told me anything about the phone.
I was looking for some insight and description rather then "I hate it" lol

Could you at least tell me why?

As far as the photon and the touch, could you just run through a few things you like/hate about them?
I know I can go watch an untold amount of youtube videos, but truth is that they arnt always telling the full story or dont really go off personal experience.

Thanks

Overall to anyone else
Ive grown to like HTC, they are veeeery good quality phones in my opinion.
Samsung on the otherhand... I personally think they are reminisant of the roman empier in that they have their sights set waaaay to vastly in the electronics department. They make way too many thing so to give full attension to just phones.

Ive had alot of samsungs, and my brother still uses samsungs.
And Im fed up with them. My brothers phone is leterally garbage. it has android 2.1 and since he bought it it has been screwy.

Now im not saying all samsung phones are crap, Ive just had nothing but bad experiences with them.

And I read up on the fact that Sprint will be getting iphones. Im not to thrilled about the idea of having an iphone.. I mean it seems like everyone I know has one and I just cant really tolerate them..
But who knows.. maybe by the time It is released I'll find something about the i5 I like.

Does anyone have any info on that?

thanks
my wife has the evo shift and she is not a fan. Of course she hates the screen keyboard and refuses to use the slide out.....woman.... jk

truthfully its not a bad device. As much as I've heard the gpu is better due to the higher processor, the evo is definitely quicker in most situations. But all in all the shift is not too shabby, but there's got to be some new stuff coming out that's better. good luck bro.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

aedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
well as for the SD card situation the arrive can take them but it requires some surgery to be performed. a couple of members @steveo70 and @dtrush have performed this operation and have had success. as for mango it brings tons of new functionality and improvements to wp7, built in Facebook chat,built in Facebook news feed in the people hub,group mms, IE9, Bing vision,Bing audio (like shazam), improved keyboard,improved battery life, full control over which apps can run in the background and which can't,DLNA,Zune smartDJ. really can't get a feel for how a device is by just watching a video
I know that very well, thats why I ask darren to give me more info

But I dont want to do surgery on the phone lol

I just cant get past the simplicity of the device. Thats my issue..

Im not tooo interested in random programs to run in the background like that.

I pretty much just go online, text, and listen to pandora
I almost never get on facbook and I like google over bing lol

But if there would be a way to rewrite the home screen to look like sense and then re skin pretty much EVERYTHING then i might be insterested lol
Old 09-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
my wife has the evo shift and she is not a fan. Of course she hates the screen keyboard and refuses to use the slide out.....woman.... jk

truthfully its not a bad device. As much as I've heard the gpu is better due to the higher processor, the evo is definitely quicker in most situations. But all in all the shift is not too shabby, but there's got to be some new stuff coming out that's better. good luck bro.

Thanks for the insight.
What would you say are the downsides to the phone istelf?
Ive seen alot of complaints about the gingerbread update.. have you seen anything buggy about the phone after the update?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
my friend owns a sprint store and im there now and shift is like tp2/epic 4g next on sprints list of dead phones so there making room i guess but its next to die. looks like iphony is coming in oct. though. lol
Well any good phone will eventually die.
But the shift is conciderably newer then the tp2

the tp2 was released in 09, as far as I remeber the shift in like a year old now right?

Even if its gana die it shouldnt be within the next year Id assume

But Im not 100 percent about the phone yet. It was just the first thing to relly catch my interest, I just needed more information about it

I mean, the evo 3d just came out..

and if you look at history...
it was
EVO
then EVO Shift (pretty much a EVO with a keyboard)

Now its an EVO 3d
so im thinking.... maybe an EVO 3d shift.....?
Idk. that be nice. I dont care about 3d capabilities but I dont wana go buy the shift and see a 3d shift the next day

As far as the Iphony goes.. I have a buddy who is an iOS guru. He knows the ins and outs and can pretty much do whatever he wants with it.
He was one of the first guys to jailbrake 4.2
Hes made alot of themes and skins and apps for the iphone
hes just not an artist so he had me do all the graphics lol

So I know I could get a great head start there IF i decide to go with that

what is the latest samsung droid with a physical keyboard?
is it the epic touch?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedon View Post
Thanks for the insight.
What would you say are the downsides to the phone istelf?
Ive seen alot of complaints about the gingerbread update.. have you seen anything buggy about the phone after the update?
actually the gb update for the shift didn't appear to break anything as far as I can see. best feature is the hibernate feature which allows you to power down and power up in under 15 seconds. like I said not a bad device, just doesnt feel as quick as my Evo but that could be because I'm rooted with custom roms. I think for modders like us its a solid device.

btw, moving this to phone comparison so others can chime in with their take.

Last edited by Riley; 09-19-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
actually the gb update for the shift didn't appear to break anything as far as I can see. best feature is the hibernate feature which allows you to power down and power up in under 15 seconds. like I said not a bad device, just doesnt feel as quick as my Evo but that could be because I'm rooted with custom roms. I think for modders like us its a solid device.

btw, moving this to phone comparison so others can chime in with their take.

Alright thanks. I didnt know this area existed.
But ya there are lots of people that said it bugged out.

I assume it would be the same as a bad rom flash where something random glitches for different people at different times.

But since its an update I sapouse noone can really do anything about it lol

But ive read different things from gps to lockscreen to texting. It was allover the place for different people, there were actually less people saying that the update made the phone better rather then being better then prior

But in any case, On alot of the things ive read and seen say that the shift should, for all intent and pourpose be faster then the EVO.

But then again thats from a stock rom either way.
Im sure your custom rom your running took away ALOT of heavy apps and misc files that might have help the EVO back.

Im sure that a good custom rom for the shift will do the same

I just might have to figure android out and make that rom myself lol

Last edited by aedon; 09-21-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
thats exactly how i feel , i need something to hack ;P i am a ppcgeek ya know proud of it too !
fa sho
first thing id do is make a dusk keyboard for droid.
I worked hard on that sh*t for my tp2 and I hate the plain look of the droid board
Old 09-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive 32GB MANGO (Sprint)
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular (Verizon)

dtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

I think it is fine that people move to other platforms if that's what works for them. You really have to define what it is that you're using the phone for.

Yes, if you like to have all of the eye candy, customizable, stare at the home screen and marvel how pretty it looks, go Android or iOS.

WP7 is designed for the communication & information power user which I happen to be. I don't spend much time on the home screen so it doesn't need to be pretty. It gives me the info I need via live tiles and allows me to use it as a quick launchpad into the next communication task if the built in integration doesn't already support the numerous ways to communicate.

Sure, there's games and other things I could do with my phone but choose not to. Why? Because I'm too busy using the phone for it's primary intended purposes coupled with the sweet PIM functionalities!

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison