PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

raptors2k is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Photon or Evo?

I'm coming from a htc touch pro using Energy.. very good chef I loved his ROM. I am Kind of new too this android thing.. I had a Touch 4 and love it.. (jailbroken ofcource).

So how customizable is this Photon or Evo?.. I need something that I can customize the home screen to my taste. and most important steal tethering.

Any advice guys? thank you

Last edited by Riley; 08-08-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Re: Photom or Evo?

Moved to phone comparison. You will get more insight and views there. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:25 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptors2k View Post
I'm coming from a htc touch pro using Energy.. very good chef I loved his ROM. I am Kind of new too this android thing.. I had a Touch 4 and love it.. (jailbroken ofcource).

So how customizable is this Photom or Evo?.. I need something that I can customize the home screen to my taste. and most important steal tethering.

Any advice guys? thank you
Its Photon, not Photom..lol

Homescreen can be customized on any device..as for rooting and tethering, tethering (wifi) requires rooting..and at the moment the rooting method for photon requires buying/using the dock...(it came out less then a week ago)..Evo 3d should has root...Evo3d will most likely have more custom roms...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

raptors2k is a n00b

Yes it's the Photon...sorry..
which one is better?.. or should i just wait for the Samsung Galaxy 2?
Old 08-06-2011, 05:41 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptors2k View Post
Yes it's the Photon...sorry..
which one is better?.. or should i just wait for the Samsung Galaxy 2?
Well Galaxy S2 destroys them both in terms of raw specs..but its your call...at the end of the day..what do you use your phone to use the phone for? If its just tethering even a single core phone with 1ghz processor you can get cheaply may do..
Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

The GS2 does not "destroy" either phone in raw specs, it does however, get better scores in benchmarks on stock ROMs. All 3 have comparable specs, unless you want to get into pedantic arguments about things most users don't care about.

Between the Evo3D and the Photon I'd go Evo3D all the way.

The Evo3D gives you more customizing options because you can choose to have Sense3.0 which you cannot get on the GS2 or the Photon, you can however run touchwiz and motoblur respectively on the Evo, so you do get more choice in UI.

As gTen says, you can tether with a Touch Diamond if you want, lol. Or get a Hero or Evo. Unless you want to record in 1080p or run some crazy ass games then a dual-core phone isn't really what you need.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro

acts is just getting started

I actually own a Photon 4G and I love it. I got tired of waiting for the SGSII on Sprint in the US and bit the bullet about a week ago (actually it was more of a birthday present bribe). I have two sisters, both of whom have Evo3Ds (as well as 2 co-workers, and two good friends that have them), and having played with them, I think both are great phones, but I like my Photon 4G better.

The Evo3D does feel snappier with Sense 3.0, but the new revamped MotoBlur is not as bad as people make it out to be. I like the webtop, and got the HD Dock Station for my birthday, and I have plans on putting full ubuntu on there. Rooting is unbelievably easy, you could probably walk into a Sprint store and "borrow" their display HD dock to root your phone in a matter of minutes. XDA has people "renting" out docks to help others obtain root.

With JuiceDefender alone, and conditioned battery on medium to heavy use, I can get about 13 hours before my stock battery is fully dead. Kickstand is a plus. Sound quality is great. I tested my signal strength against my sisters Evo3D, and I get consistently better signal strength at the same exact spots @ my parents house and my own.

If you really don't like the motoblur lite, you can alway gets launcher pro, or but a new ROM on it (hopefully sooner than later when the unlock is given by motorola, I'd hold off on it until bootloader encryption is broken).

While I appreciate the 3D on the evo, I probably would not get as much use out of it as I do with the GSM capabilities of the Photon 4G, as I like to go overseas.

Also, I appreciate having 16 GB internal storage (about 8 usable, 3 gb for applications on phone), and I recently added a 32 gb class 10. That's a BIG plus over the Evo3D in my opinion.

I'd say go to a sprint store and check it out, compare the two. The only thing I wish my Photon 4G had was a better front facing camera.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts View Post
Rooting is unbelievably easy, you could probably walk into a Sprint store and "borrow" their display HD dock to root your phone in a matter of minutes. XDA has people "renting" out docks to help others obtain root.
Also, to give you an idea of how easy rooting would be (and not needing to buy the HD Dock):

This is from XDA, but I've shortened it to what you need to do @ the sprint store.

At Home:
1. Install Superuser from the Market
2. Install SSHDroid from the Market
3. Open SSHDroid, and make sure it is listening on port 2222

At Sprint Store:
4. Go plug your Photon 4G into Sprint Store HD Dock
5. If someone asks, say you're testing and have interest in purchase
6. Open Firefox in webtop
7. Go to http://higgs.cygnusx-1.org/~edgan/pulse.tar
8. Open it instead of saving
9. Extract pulse.tar to /var/tmp

At home, or wherever:
10. Connect to phone via ssh at ip address mentioned in SSHDroid and port 2222
11. Type /var/tmp/pulse/pa_race
12. Type /var/tmp/pulse/install-su.sh
15. Type rm -rf /var/tmp/pulse*

Root.

You could literally do the dock file download @ the Sprint store in about a minute. Nobody would bother you while you test your phone on the dock.

Last edited by acts; 08-08-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: fixed grammar.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:35 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
The GS2 does not "destroy" either phone in raw specs, it does however, get better scores in benchmarks on stock ROMs. All 3 have comparable specs, unless you want to get into pedantic arguments about things most users don't care about.
um..yes it does...notice I specifically use the term raw specs...

Let me explain it like this..one thing I noticed among notebooks is if say your playing a game and have a ok GPU..and if you took a core i3 pc and a core i7 pc...which one would play the game faster? you would think the core i7 would completely dominate but in reality the difference is marginal..I mean like 10%...max...

In terms of practical specs, dual-cores are overkill unless you do heavy multitasking alot...at least for now..once apps come out that take advantage of dual cores it will be a different ball game..
Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

It all comes down to value added in the overall offering of the phone, no matter what the specs. You can have the best desktop specs on a computer but if all you do is use it for spreadsheets and notepad, what's the point?

One, do you really need a new phone ASAP, or can you continue to wait on getting a SGS2 from Sprint (and by the time it comes, we'll probably all be waiting on the Nexus Prime, or SGS3)? If you can't wait, biting the bullet now and getting a Photon, or Evo3D means you'll sooner be out of contract for your next phone.

Two, are you going to take advantage of your phone's features? If you get an Evo3D, are you really going to take advantage of that 3D capability? 3D games? 3D movies (perhaps HDMI out)? Taking Videos/Pictures in 3D? Converting your old movies to 3D?

With the Photon, you have GSM capabilities for overseas (do you travel? Would you take advantage of that?). You also get to use webtop (assuming you get an HD dock, or root so that you have the capability). Maybe they'll come out with a laptop dock, is that something you'd be interested in doing with your phone? I like the idea of combining my overseas Phone with laptop capabilities. In fact, I'll be heading out to Asia again in January, and will be able to take advantage of popping in a sim card on my Photon and using it in a couple countries without my phone feeling like dead weight.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison