PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 04:52 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

eagle2222222222 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Evo 4g/Evo 3D

Putting aside the 3D aspect of the new 3D phone, it appears that the hardware and software are much better than we have now. I am about to be eligible for an upgrade this summer. Is there any reason at all not to upgrade to this phone?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

teejay89 is just getting started
Re: Evo 4g/Evo 3D

None at all. My only caveat to that would be that I wouldn't pre-order it, unless you don't want it rooted or are okay waiting a couple weeks before having it rooted. Me personally, I won't be purchasing it until it's been out awhile. Hell, I may even wait to see how I like Sense 3.0 first as well, cause otherwise I might wait even longer for a working non-Sense rom or just upgrade to whatever the next "official" Google phone is.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
I think it will be rooted quick, that isn't even a concern. It seems like most HTC phones are rooted before they even get released.

My concern is for a senseless ROM. I like the vanilla Android. And even now, we can't get 720p recording on senseless ROMs. How will it be when there are dual cameras recording in 3D?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G LTE

Sauske is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSauske is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSauske is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay89 View Post
None at all. My only caveat to that would be that I wouldn't pre-order it, unless you don't want it rooted or are okay waiting a couple weeks before having it rooted. Me personally, I won't be purchasing it until it's been out awhile. Hell, I may even wait to see how I like Sense 3.0 first as well, cause otherwise I might wait even longer for a working non-Sense rom or just upgrade to whatever the next "official" Google phone is.
On the contrary, the earlier the better my brother got the Evo when it first came out and I rooted his phone easily! Then I got mines later on with an different h-boot and then I had to wait for a work around. The longer you wait the more if gives Sprint time to upgrade security, and most people hate doing it the manual way (I prefer this method) and use Unrevoked!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:18 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle2222222222 View Post
Putting aside the 3D aspect of the new 3D phone, it appears that the hardware and software are much better than we have now. I am about to be eligible for an upgrade this summer. Is there any reason at all not to upgrade to this phone?
Yes its a HUGE upgrade..that aid Galaxy S 2 is still better..and by end of ear nvidia and qualcomm promises quadcores...that said we have no clue if thye will come to sprint or not :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDynamite View Post
I think it will be rooted quick, that isn't even a concern. It seems like most HTC phones are rooted before they even get released.
Its a big concern actually..from what the people who rooted the Thuderbolt said..the new HTC devices are locked like Motorola devices and not to be fooled by how quickly they unlocked it...and rumor is its going to get worse...on the other hand motorola is promising unlocked boot loaders lol

Even cyanogen is reconsidering HTC:

Twitter

ATM, HTC and Motorola are the hardest manufacturers to root...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:52 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Its a big concern actually..from what the people who rooted the Thuderbolt said..the new HTC devices are locked like Motorola devices and not to be fooled by how quickly they unlocked it...and rumor is its going to get worse...on the other hand motorola is promising unlocked boot loaders lol

Even cyanogen is reconsidering HTC:

Twitter

ATM, HTC and Motorola are the hardest manufacturers to root...
I'm not concerned. I think Verizon likes their phones locked down and that's why the Thunderbolt was like that. And even then, it was rooted before it was released. Sprint is more relaxed and HTC doesn't seem to mind.

Has there ever been an HTC device that didn't get rooted? I would not worry about it until there is actually a reason to worry.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
I'm not concerned. I think Verizon likes their phones locked down and that's why the Thunderbolt was like that. And even then, it was rooted before it was released. Sprint is more relaxed and HTC doesn't seem to mind.
The team that unlocked it said it was not a Verizon only thing...and the reason why the unlock was fast was due to info gathered from the G2.

Quote:
Has there ever been an HTC device that didn't get rooted? I would not worry about it until there is actually a reason to worry.
Well has there ever been any phone that wasn't rootable? The problem usually lies in custom roms via locked bootloader.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:05 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Well has there ever been any phone that wasn't rootable? The problem usually lies in custom roms via locked bootloader.
I think there are a few Motorolas that never got rooted. I know for sure there are some Motorolas that can't have custom ROMs at least. Pretty sure there has never been an HTC smartphone, either WinMo or Android, that didn't get hardspl or rooted.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
I think there are a few Motorolas that never got rooted. I know for sure there are some Motorolas that can't have custom ROMs at least. Pretty sure there has never been an HTC smartphone, either WinMo or Android, that didn't get hardspl or rooted.
I dont think Apache had hard spl :P..but I think it was just flash and go...

But every single HTC device was harder and harder to unlock from then on...generation by generation. Now with the G2 they have taken things up a notch...and with the Tbolt and the Incredible S they are right now on par with the Motorola phones..aka Signed boot loaders..from what I read only reason they were able to unlock tbolt was because they had a pre-release bootloader that they overwrite the original...so come june anything is possible :/
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 PM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374

Quote:
I dont think Apache had hard spl :P..but I think it was just flash and go...

But every single HTC device was harder and harder to unlock from then on...generation by generation. Now with the G2 they have taken things up a notch...and with the Tbolt and the Incredible S they are right now on par with the Motorola phones..aka Signed boot loaders..from what I read only reason they were able to unlock tbolt was because they had a pre-release bootloader that they overwrite the original...so come june anything is possible :/
The G2 was an F'n pain in the a$$ to root. Then once you have it rooted you can almost forget returning it to stock. Everytime my gf asks me to look at her phone I tell her how much I hate it.

What CM said on twitter is so true. At least Sammy hasn't decided to stop us yet.

Another example would be the month + it took to get the hard spl on the tp2. Let's face it, HTC just does not want us to root, flash or do anything on their phones anymore.

The worse part about it is that it was the modding community that made htc phones so popular.

Remember to clickon those who help! It's right down there.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison