PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Evo 4g/Evo 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Well yeah Touchwiz base roms are non-sense >.> lol jk

I gave you links that backup my claims and my thought process..you can say w\e you want but I presented facts for both sides whether it agreed to what I was stating or hindered..I have no interest in passing lies as reality..if I feel I made a mistake at any point I correct it. Even if I hate something such as say Apple I won't stand for anyone saying things about it that are false..

Listen to what I have to say just for 1 minute without trying to take sides one way or another..
It is not surprising that Samsung has the advantage in hardware..it has nothing to do with which brand is better or etc..it just that..samsung has an unfair advantage...

Lets stop using Samsung as an example to make it easier and use Qualcomm...imagine Qualcomm decided to start making smartphones..starting 2012...they make a new processor and begin to use that processor to make a new phone in 2012Q1..in 2012Q2 they send a sample processor to HTC, Qualcomm completes their phone in 2012Q3..HTC now has a choice..release old processor to compete or wait till Q4 or 2013Q1 to release with new processor.

Samsung has such an unfair advantage its not even funny.. remember when ipad2 was released and it was thinner then all the others? in 3 days Samsung changed their complete design to be thinner then the ipad..also the SGS2 was originally suppose to be 1ghz..once they heard qualcomm plans to release phone in Q3 with 1.2ghz they bumped their entire SGS2 line to 1.2ghz in 2 days...

This has nothing to do with being loyal to a brand..samsung makes like 70%+ of the components inside their own phones..they can swap them easily whenever they please..HTC does not have that luxury..as they make contracts with component suppliers and can't break them even if they wanted to..
1: You do not look at facts unbiased. You said the screens were a tie, even though the Evo 3D has a higher resolution and glasses free 3D. You then said the back cameras were unknown even though the Evo 3D has 2 of them and does 3D pics and vids. You then said the front camera was a win for the Galaxy S 2 just because it has a few more megapixels when you have never even seen a pic from the front camera of the Evo 3D, and the extra megapixels are useless in a video chat anyway. You also said 2 megapixels was the standard for video chat, and that is absolutely a crock of bull. Nobody uses a 1080p video chat on a mobile phone. You then read on qualcomm's website that the Snapdragon is secure, and still refused to accept that as a fact. You are absolutely not unbiased. Get that notion out of your head.

2: Speaking of all of that, Samsung absolutely does not have a hardware advantage, and the Galaxy S 2 is not superior to the Evo 3D. Get those notions out of your head too. The little theory you have about Samsung having an advantage because of their other components is blatantly false. That is absolutely not how business works. If Samsung was giving themselves a competitive advantage then nobody would buy their components. You can't on the one hand say "Samsung is so big their CEO would never address a wireless issue, it would be the person in charge of wireless." And then on the other hand say, "Samsung wireless can easily get components that nobody else can get because they make them." Do you think AT&T wireless has an advantage because AT&T provides the T1 lines in the area? No. Of course not. Sure, wireless carriers need backhaul. But AT&T would never tell Sprint or Verizon, "We can't provide you with any backhaul right now because we're all out of capacity, due to our own LTE rollout eating up all the space on the fiber lines around here." No way. Not only would the federal government flip out if that was happening for antitrust and monopoly violations, but other businesses in the industry would completely avoid doing any business with them at all costs. If a business has seperate divisions like that, they are required to treat each division the same as they would treat any other business. At my job, different divisions actually bill other departments and things like that. it's not a matter of just saying, "throw all of these chips away, stop any deliveries on any new chips, and bring all the new chips here for our own phones." It's more like, "okay, write these chips off as a loss, even though we have already paid that other department for them, and put in an order for a bunch of the new chips. We'll use the new ones in these devices. It'll cost us, but it has to be done." And yes, I understand that Samsung changed the specs on an unreleased device after seeing a couple new devices. But those were unreleased devices. That type of thing happens all the time. now if that Galaxy Tab had a million units manufactured and several stores and carriers waiting on orders to be delivered, there is no way they would have changed it. If they have only made 10 of them and it isn't set to be released for a long time, yeah, it will probably change before release. And Samsung is absolutely not the only OEM that does that.

Last edited by BlackDynamite; 06-08-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:52 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDynamite View Post
1: You do not look at facts unbiased. You said the screens were a tie, even though the Evo 3D has a higher resolution and glasses free 3D.
I said its a tie because while higher resolution is nice..Super AMOLED Plus is just that good..the color reproduction is unparalleled...hence why its a tie...I have seen both for myself in CES2011 and thats my opinion on the matter..there is no "fact" to this to claim it one way or the other..in terms of technology super amoled plus is the latest tech...qhd is latest tech..so now all we are talking about is personal opinions..not facts..hence a tie...

Quote:
You then said the back cameras were unknown even though the Evo 3D has 2 of them and does 3D pics and vids.
But SGS2 has an 8mp camera and one of the best..its an unknown because HTC has a history of sub par cameras..and considering that most people will till take 2d pics over 3d...this may not speak for you in specific..but you know its true...

Quote:
You then said the front camera was a win for the Galaxy S 2 just because it has a few more megapixels when you have never even seen a pic from the front camera of the Evo 3D, and the extra megapixels are useless in a video chat anyway. You also said 2 megapixels was the standard for video chat, and that is absolutely a crock of bull. Nobody uses a 1080p video chat on a mobile phone.
Most webcams these days are 2mp...mobile to mobile 1.3mp might be enough.. that said mobile -> pc is a different story..thats when you cna make full use of 2mp front camera! and considering even laptops come with 2mp frotn cameras its kinda a standard...

Quote:
You then read on qualcomm's website that the Snapdragon is secure, and still refused to accept that as a fact. You are absolutely not unbiased. Get that notion out of your head.
We are not talking about that kind of security..we are talking about encrypted nand..and guess who is the biggest seller of nand? ypu samsung..i bet ya if you open evo3d or your evo it will have samsung nand..and if samsung does not sell these encrypted nand to HTC..there is no way HTC will have it...

Quote:
2: Speaking of all of that, Samsung absolutely does not have a hardware advantage, and the Galaxy S 2 is not superior to the Evo 3D. Get those notions out of your head too. The little theory you have about Samsung having an advantage because of their other components is blatantly false. That is absolutely not how business works. If Samsung was giving themselves a competitive advantage then nobody would buy their components. You can't on the one hand say "Samsung is so big their CEO would never address a wireless issue, it would be the person in charge of wireless." And then on the other hand say, "Samsung wireless can easily get components that nobody else can get because they make them." Do you think AT&T wireless has an advantage because AT&T provides the T1 lines in the area? No. Of course not. Sure, wireless carriers need backhaul. But AT&T would never tell Sprint or Verizon, "We can't provide you with any backhaul right now because we're all out of capacity, due to our own LTE rollout eating up all the space on the fiber lines around here." No way. Not only would the federal government flip out if that was happening for antitrust and monopoly violations, but other businesses in the industry would completely avoid doing any business with them at all costs. If a business has seperate divisions like that, they are required to treat each division the same as they would treat any other business. At my job, different divisions actually bill other departments and things like that. it's not a matter of just saying, "throw all of these chips away, stop any deliveries on any new chips, and bring all the new chips here for our own phones." It's more like, "okay, write these chips off as a loss, even though we have already paid that other department for them, and put in an order for a bunch of the new chips. We'll use the new ones in these devices. It'll cost us, but it has to be done." And yes, I understand that Samsung changed the specs on an unreleased device after seeing a couple new devices. But those were unreleased devices. That type of thing happens all the time. now if that Galaxy Tab had a million units manufactured and several stores and carriers waiting on orders to be delivered, there is no way they would have changed it. If they have only made 10 of them and it isn't set to be released for a long time, yeah, it will probably change before release. And Samsung is absolutely not the only OEM that does that.
Ok..I dont think you realize what Samsung is, let me give you some background...Samsung is a monopoly..to be precise they are a monopoly supported by the federal government..not the US federal government...the Korean government...

They are located in korea outside the control of the US government..they can do w\e they want and korea allows them...HTC on the other hand is a company in china with no backing whats so ever..

Samsung is so HUGE..that if samsung itself was a country they would be the #35th biggest economy in the world..yes they would have bigger GDP then the entire country of Argentina.

They do everything from cellphones to building those giant ships...they even have a theme parks...

And I'll tell you this.. rememberer the AMOLED incident when HTC had problems supplying AMOLED phones..well samsung effectively kept most of the supply for themselves..they even said super amoled they are keeping to themselves for 18 months..and SGS is known to have components that are never before seen in other devices and not on sale...

Why can they get away with this? aside from being a compete monopoly thats also above the law in korea..they are also one of the biggest component manufacturers and many innovations come from them..and their clients are pissed yes..sony got pissed and is trying to break free of their slcd contract with samsung and move in with sharp, Apple is also complaining...but they got no choice but to deal with samsung if they wish t be competitive..its just that :/

I mean look at this:

http://www.switched.com/2008/04/17/s...t-be-arrested/

The Samsung CEO commits fraud..admits he is guilty and won't be arrested..so my answer to you is..yes they can do w\e they want..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

Last edited by gTen; 06-08-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:37 AM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
I said its a tie because while higher resolution is nice..Super AMOLED Plus is just that good..the color reproduction is unparalleled...hence why its a tie...I have seen both for myself in CES2011 and thats my opinion on the matter..there is no "fact" to this to claim it one way or the other..in terms of technology super amoled plus is the latest tech...qhd is latest tech..so now all we are talking about is personal opinions..not facts..hence a tie...
It's not a tie. Clearly, this is a landslide win for the Evo 3D. Higher resolution and glasses free 3D are facts.

Quote:
But SGS2 has an 8mp camera and one of the best..its an unknown because HTC has a history of sub par cameras..and considering that most people will till take 2d pics over 3d...this may not speak for you in specific..but you know its true...
I disagree. There will be plenty of 3D pics and vids taken. Certainly a lot more than on the Galaxy S 2. And that is a fact.

Quote:
Most webcams these days are 2mp...mobile to mobile 1.3mp might be enough.. that said mobile -> pc is a different story..thats when you cna make full use of 2mp front camera! and considering even laptops come with 2mp frotn cameras its kinda a standard...
Nobody cares about what computers use. Computers don't have data caps, tiny batteries, and limited space.

Quote:
We are not talking about that kind of security..we are talking about encrypted nand..and guess who is the biggest seller of nand? ypu samsung..i bet ya if you open evo3d or your evo it will have samsung nand..and if samsung does not sell these encrypted nand to HTC..there is no way HTC will have it...
No we weren't. We were talking about encryption on the phone. BTW, encrypted nand is a bad thing.

Quote:
Ok..I dont think you realize what Samsung is, let me give you some background...Samsung is a monopoly..to be precise they are a monopoly supported by the federal government..not the US federal government...the Korean government...
I know all about samsung, lol.

Quote:
They are located in korea outside the control of the US government..they can do w\e they want and korea allows them...HTC on the other hand is a company in china with no backing whats so ever..
Totally false. They are bound to the rules of the ITC and WTO. Not only that, but if they want to sell their products in the USA, they have to play by the rules set forth by the USA. If the feds say no more Samsung products for sale here, game over. See how large that company is after a couple years of being banned from the USA, watching all their competitors take their market share.

Quote:
Samsung is so HUGE..that if samsung itself was a country they would be the #35th biggest economy in the world..yes they would have bigger GDP then the entire country of Argentina.
They aren't as big as AT&T was when the feds broke that company up.

Quote:
They do everything from cellphones to building those giant ships...they even have a theme parks...
I know about Samsung.

Quote:
And I'll tell you this.. rememberer the AMOLED incident when HTC had problems supplying AMOLED phones..well samsung effectively kept most of the supply for themselves..they even said super amoled they are keeping to themselves for 18 months..and SGS is known to have components that are never before seen in other devices and not on sale...
That is not the same thing as you are describing. If they run out of parts, that is one thing. If they start using a monopoly to gain an unfair advantage that is another thing entirely.

Quote:
Why can they get away with this? aside from being a compete monopoly thats also above the law in korea..they are also one of the biggest component manufacturers and many innovations come from them..and their clients are pissed yes..sony got pissed and is trying to break free of their slcd contract with samsung and move in with sharp, Apple is also complaining...but they got no choice but to deal with samsung if they wish t be competitive..its just that :/
they couldn't get away with it because it is illegal. What they do in Korea is their business. But this isn't Korea we're talking about. If they want to do business in the USA, they have to obey USA laws.

Quote:
I mean look at this:

Samsung CEO Charged With Fraud, Won't Be Arrested

The Samsung CEO commits fraud..admits he is guilty and won't be arrested..so my answer to you is..yes they can do w\e they want..
That stuff happens all the time in the USA too. Nothing new there. If you're rich enough, you can get away with pretty much anything. We just had the biggest economic disaster since the great depression in the USA. Caused by a group of people who knew what they were doing. They all made boatloads of money on it, and not a single one of them was even charged with a crime. There are countless examples of people getting away with obvious crimes when they have enough money. Believe me, it's not limited to the CEO of Samsung. However, that is not the same thing as an illegal monopoly. Bill gates was literally the richest man in the world and the feds still made Microsoft act like a bunch of independent companies.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
It's not a tie. Clearly, this is a landslide win for the Evo 3D. Higher resolution and glasses free 3D are facts.
Super AMOLED Plus has advantages like better black levels, betetr color reproduction, faster refresh...resolution and 3d are not the only spec for screens...

Quote:
I disagree. There will be plenty of 3D pics and vids taken. Certainly a lot more than on the Galaxy S 2. And that is a fact.
Look..I bet ya 90% of pics taken will be 2d..you do know what when you take a 3d pic it will only be 2 megapixels right?

Quote:
Nobody cares about what computers use. Computers don't have data caps, tiny batteries, and limited space.
I am pretty sure sprint said no data caps..I dont see how battery matters in this and 32gb + 32gb is more the enough space..even though again I dont see how space effect web video chat...

Quote:
No we weren't. We were talking about encryption on the phone. BTW, encrypted nand is a bad thing.
um..Ive been telling you from the beginning you misunderstood me and I was talking about different encryption..encrypted nand is what I meant from the beginning..and why is it a bad thing again?

Quote:

Totally false. They are bound to the rules of the ITC and WTO. Not only that, but if they want to sell their products in the USA, they have to play by the rules set forth by the USA. If the feds say no more Samsung products for sale here, game over. See how large that company is after a couple years of being banned from the USA, watching all their competitors take their market share.

I know about Samsung.
The USA cannot break up samsung..they don't have any authority over it..the only thing the USA can control is Samsung's USA branch..even if Samsung is a monoply the USA cant do a thing...and no international organization is going to break up samsung..neither will the korean government..Korea NEEDS samsung...right now korea is one of the only countries that escaped recession...and Samsung and LG is how they did it...

Quote:
That is not the same thing as you are describing. If they run out of parts, that is one thing. If they start using a monopoly to gain an unfair advantage that is another thing entirely.
No..samsung said they will not allow anyone to buy super amoled until 18month after Samsung uses them in their products...

Quote:
they couldn't get away with it because it is illegal. What they do in Korea is their business. But this isn't Korea we're talking about. If they want to do business in the USA, they have to obey USA laws.
The USA does not dictate foreign companies...sure they have to follow USA laws to sell..but being a monopoly in your own country is not against usa law...samsung electronics sells their phones/products here...they sell components in korea..and in korea they do w\e they want...

Quote:
That stuff happens all the time in the USA too. Nothing new there. If you're rich enough, you can get away with pretty much anything. We just had the biggest economic disaster since the great depression in the USA. Caused by a group of people who knew what they were doing. They all made boatloads of money on it, and not a single one of them was even charged with a crime. There are countless examples of people getting away with obvious crimes when they have enough money. Believe me, it's not limited to the CEO of Samsung. However, that is not the same thing as an illegal monopoly. Bill gates was literally the richest man in the world and the feds still made Microsoft act like a bunch of independent companies.
ok see here is the difference..in USA they werent charge with a crime...that guy was charged with a crime, he pleaded guilty..and they just did a slap on the wrist..I have yet to see anyone pull that off...

---

Edit:

Oh, just tuned to engadget and look here:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/s...evs-a-free-ga/

your gonna tell me HTC did this? cause I'm pretty sure they didn't...

Last edited by gTen; 06-08-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:23 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
---

Edit:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/s...evs-a-free-ga/

NICE!

Old 06-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:

I know about Samsung.

I actually agree with most of these points.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:08 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Super AMOLED Plus has advantages like better black levels, betetr color reproduction, faster refresh...resolution and 3d are not the only spec for screens...
All of those are debatable. You may prefer the way it looks, but it doesn't make it a fact. what is a fact though, is the higher resolution and glasses free 3D.

Quote:
Look..I bet ya 90% of pics taken will be 2d..you do know what when you take a 3d pic it will only be 2 megapixels right?
yes, I know they are 2 megapixels. And I can guarantee you it won't be 90% in 2D. I would guess 90% in 3D. Since the phone can convert a 3D picture to 2D whenever you want, I would be surprised if anyone actually took 2D pictures most of the time. certainly not 90% of them.

Quote:
I am pretty sure sprint said no data caps..I dont see how battery matters in this and 32gb + 32gb is more the enough space..even though again I dont see how space effect web video chat...
I am pretty sure most people don't limit their video chats to ONLY Sprint customers. And limited space as in a 4 inch screen. What good is a 2 megapixel camera for video chats if the other poerson only has a 4 inch wvga screen? Again, please tell me the advantage that this 2 megapixel front camera has. You have never seen a picture from the HTC, and gave the sammy a definite advantage based entirely on the extra megapixels that will never be used.

Quote:
um..Ive been telling you from the beginning you misunderstood me and I was talking about different encryption..encrypted nand is what I meant from the beginning..and why is it a bad thing again?
Well then, I guess a so freaking what is in order. I don't want encrypted nand, and neither do all the people who just flooded HTC's facebook for an encrypted bootloader. It's a bad thing, not an advantage.

Quote:
The USA cannot break up samsung..they don't have any authority over it..the only thing the USA can control is Samsung's USA branch..even if Samsung is a monoply the USA cant do a thing...and no international organization is going to break up samsung..neither will the korean government..Korea NEEDS samsung...right now korea is one of the only countries that escaped recession...and Samsung and LG is how they did it...
You are dead wrong. Like I said, if Samsung wants to do business in the USA, they have to follow USA rules. And don;t kid yourself, if the USA told Samsung "We are banning all of your products in this country." Samsung would be on the verge of going out of business. They do the lions share of their business here. And if they were banned, their competitors would pick up that market share. So as Samsung got weaker, their competitors would simultaneously get stronger.

Quote:
No..samsung said they will not allow anyone to buy super amoled until 18month after Samsung uses them in their products...
Again, running out of inventory is not the same thing as using an illegal monopoly to gain an unfair advantage. If Samsung runs out of screens, thats fine. If Samsung tells HTC "We know you ordered a bunch of these chips and we agreed to provide them, but we decided to throw away the million Galaxy S 2 phones we made and use your order in our phones instead, so that way our phone is better than yours..." That is illegal. And if they did that, the WTO and ITC would be all over samsung.

Quote:
The USA does not dictate foreign companies...sure they have to follow USA laws to sell..but being a monopoly in your own country is not against usa law...samsung electronics sells their phones/products here...they sell components in korea..and in korea they do w\e they want...
The USA does not dictate, no. But the WTO and the ITC both DO dictate all over the world. You are totally wrong about this and I suggest you research it a bit before you comment any further. Samsung can be a monopoly in Korea all they want. But as soon as they start selling products outside of Korea they are bound to international laws and rules.

Quote:
ok see here is the difference..in USA they werent charge with a crime...that guy was charged with a crime, he pleaded guilty..and they just did a slap on the wrist..I have yet to see anyone pull that off...
Are you kidding me? That happens like every day in the USA. Get charged with a crime, take a plea bargain, and get a slap on the wrist for punishment. Man, look at pretty much any celebrity that gets charged with a crime. Even Lindsay Lohan got like 10 chances before she finally went to jail. It literally happens every day.

Quote:
Edit:

Samsung shows affection to CyanogenMod, gives its devs a free Galaxy S II -- Engadget

HTC didn't need to do that because they already had official support from Cyanogen anyway. I don't know if you are aware of this (probably are) but Cyanogen ROMs did not have Galaxy S support. HTC phones always have, and always will have Cyanogen support.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:10 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
All of those are debatable. You may prefer the way it looks, but it doesn't make it a fact. what is a fact though, is the higher resolution and glasses free 3D.
There are other things that matter such as refresh rate, color gamut reproduction, total colors, efficiency, contrast..there is mroe to thigns then just higher resolution and 3d that are just as important if not more important...

Quote:
yes, I know they are 2 megapixels. And I can guarantee you it won't be 90% in 2D. I would guess 90% in 3D. Since the phone can convert a 3D picture to 2D whenever you want, I would be surprised if anyone actually took 2D pictures most of the time. certainly not 90% of them.
most people use facebook to post pics..or places like imageshack..do they support 3d image format? and when you convert them to 2d..will it be 2mp or 3mp?

Quote:
I am pretty sure most people don't limit their video chats to ONLY Sprint customers. And limited space as in a 4 inch screen. What good is a 2 megapixel camera for video chats if the other poerson only has a 4 inch wvga screen? Again, please tell me the advantage that this 2 megapixel front camera has. You have never seen a picture from the HTC, and gave the sammy a definite advantage based entirely on the extra megapixels that will never be used.
You do realize skype for example where most of video chatting is done is PC to PC..and Cell phone to PC is going to be like half the convos? not just cellphoen to cellphone..not to mention some people have tablets with higher resolutions too..

Quote:
Well then, I guess a so freaking what is in order. I don't want encrypted nand, and neither do all the people who just flooded HTC's facebook for an encrypted bootloader. It's a bad thing, not an advantage.
*facepalm* Encrypted nand IS NOT bootloader related..what it means is YOUR personal data is encrypted to prevent people from stealing it if your phone gets a virus or is stolen or some app tries to get more info then it should..its is VITAL for all business users..as things like this can prevent your corporate secrets from being stolen! It also helps individuals protect their information..

Quote:
You are dead wrong. Like I said, if Samsung wants to do business in the USA, they have to follow USA rules. And don;t kid yourself, if the USA told Samsung "We are banning all of your products in this country." Samsung would be on the verge of going out of business. They do the lions share of their business here. And if they were banned, their competitors would pick up that market share. So as Samsung got weaker, their competitors would simultaneously get stronger.
First of all..even if the entire USA were to ban every single samsung product..samsung would not go out of business..it would definitely hurt yes...but not out of business..most of Samsungs sales are outside the US...

Now..Samsung is a monopoly outside the US..and have support of their government..this gives them advantages...the US will not intervene in another countries affairs..its not their place to..all US will regulate is Samsung USA branch...this branch does not sell components though..Samsung Korea does..which is outside of their regulation.

Quote:
Again, running out of inventory is not the same thing as using an illegal monopoly to gain an unfair advantage. If Samsung runs out of screens, thats fine. If Samsung tells HTC "We know you ordered a bunch of these chips and we agreed to provide them, but we decided to throw away the million Galaxy S 2 phones we made and use your order in our phones instead, so that way our phone is better than yours..." That is illegal. And if they did that, the WTO and ITC would be all over samsung.

The USA does not dictate, no. But the WTO and the ITC both DO dictate all over the world. You are totally wrong about this and I suggest you research it a bit before you comment any further. Samsung can be a monopoly in Korea all they want. But as soon as they start selling products outside of Korea they are bound to international laws and rules.
no thats not what happens..here is what happens..Samsung invents new technology..makes the chips (these chips ARE NOT FOR SALE) and uses them in their OWN devices..HTC and other OEMs CANNOT buy this component for a few months after..but it takes time to plan..hence they either use older components or order from someone else...either way samsung has an advantage by using unreleased components that no one else can get their hands on.

Quote:
Are you kidding me? That happens like every day in the USA. Get charged with a crime, take a plea bargain, and get a slap on the wrist for punishment. Man, look at pretty much any celebrity that gets charged with a crime. Even Lindsay Lohan got like 10 chances before she finally went to jail. It literally happens every day.
no plea bargain, he admitted it flat out and is not getting punished...hes just above the law there :/

Quote:
HTC didn't need to do that because they already had official support from Cyanogen anyway. I don't know if you are aware of this (probably are) but Cyanogen ROMs did not have Galaxy S support. HTC phones always have, and always will have Cyanogen support.
Ok, your misunderstanding again..

first of all Samsung already had CM support, not as long as HTC of course but HTC was the first device Cyanogen owns hence HTC got support, that said many devices outside of HTC had support as well just lesser known brands, Cyanogen now own an LG phone...

second of all, this isn't limited to CM..they sent A BUNCH of free phones out to developers...so now developers dont need to beg for donations to get their new phone so they can develop for it.. Samsung will provide them with new phones...no OEM did this before...and whats better is if they brick their phones..Samsung has top notch warranty...aka I can take my phone and smash it against the wall and Samsung will replace it to me free of charge...HTC will give me the option of buying a new one at FULL retail value..or hold my phone hostage until I pay them 27$ for return shipping...

And if you read the comments on engadget and the other sites who published this..a HUGE amount of people said they are now gonna skip the Evo 3D to get the SGS 2 when it hits the US because of this...

Last edited by gTen; 06-08-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:47 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
There are other things that matter such as refresh rate, color gamut reproduction, total colors, efficiency, contrast..there is mroe to thigns then just higher resolution and 3d that are just as important if not more important...
Feel free to list them then. Don;t tell me efficiency matters unless you are going to list the efficiency of both devices. We know the Evo 3D has a higher resolution and glasses free 3D. These are big deals.

Quote:
most people use facebook to post pics..or places like imageshack..do they support 3d image format? and when you convert them to 2d..will it be 2mp or 3mp?
I don't know how many megapixels they convert at. But I can assure you it is plenty enough for facebook since you keep saying that is the only thing people use their camera for.

Quote:
You do realize skype for example where most of video chatting is done is PC to PC..and Cell phone to PC is going to be like half the convos? not just cellphoen to cellphone..not to mention some people have tablets with higher resolutions too..
And you do realize skye isn't showing a 2 megapixel video stream, right? So, again, tell me why the front camera is enough for you to label it an advantage on the sammy when you have never even seen a pic from the HTC. You said it was based on extra megapixels, but I have yet to hear os a use case where those extra megapixels will ever be used by anyone. The thing is designed for video chat which doesn't display nor stream a 2 megapixel video stream.

Quote:
*facepalm* Encrypted nand IS NOT bootloader related..what it means is YOUR personal data is encrypted to prevent people from stealing it if your phone gets a virus or is stolen or some app tries to get more info then it should..its is VITAL for all business users..as things like this can prevent your corporate secrets from being stolen! It also helps individuals protect their information..
It is not VITAL for business, lol. Do you even know what you're talking about? Tell me this: if an IT guy has a hundred devices to prepare and hand out to an entire department, and all of them will be identical... Say he gets a nand backup of the first device. He then tries to restore that nand on the other 99 devices. Will this work on the Sammy? Is that a good thing or bad thing? Do you think this would work on the HTC? Is that a good thing or bad thing?

Quote:
First of all..even if the entire USA were to ban every single samsung product..samsung would not go out of business..it would definitely hurt yes...but not out of business..most of Samsungs sales are outside the US...
Maybe not totally out of business, but it would be a huge, huge blow.

Quote:
Now..Samsung is a monopoly outside the US..and have support of their government..this gives them advantages...the US will not intervene in another countries affairs..its not their place to..all US will regulate is Samsung USA branch...this branch does not sell components though..Samsung Korea does..which is outside of their regulation.
Again, please research this before you comment any further. You are dead wrong. Samsung is absolutely under the authority of both the WTO and the ITC. And I am getting tired of correcting your blatantly false claim to the contrary. Again, research it before you comment any further on it. YEs, Samsung is free to do whatever they can get away with in Korea. But once they sell a single product in another country, they are under the authority of the WTO and ITC. Period. This is a fact.

Quote:
no thats not what happens..here is what happens..Samsung invents new technology..makes the chips (these chips ARE NOT FOR SALE) and uses them in their OWN devices..HTC and other OEMs CANNOT buy this component for a few months after..but it takes time to plan..hence they either use older components or order from someone else...either way samsung has an advantage by using unreleased components that no one else can get their hands on.
That is totally fine for them to do. It doesn't give them any advantage though. It's not like Samsung is the only company making components. HTC is free to buy whatever components they want from whoever they want.

Quote:
no plea bargain, he admitted it flat out and is not getting punished...hes just above the law there :/
That is exactly what a plea bargain is. The accused pleads guilty- aka admits he committed a crime. Seriously, every single day countless people in the USA plead guilty and don't go to jail. And the more money you have, the more serious crimes you can get away with.

Quote:
Ok, your misunderstanding again..
I am absolutely not misunderstanding. You clearly don't know what you're talking about. I'll explain below...

Quote:
first of all Samsung already had CM support, not as long as HTC of course but HTC was the first device Cyanogen owns hence HTC got support, that said many devices outside of HTC had support as well just lesser known brands, Cyanogen now own an LG phone...
First of all, CyanogenMod is a TEAM, not a person. There are several people involved that own many different devices. It's not one person who happens to own this type of phone. Secondly, I never claimed that HTC devices were the ONLY devices supported by Cyanogen. I said the Galaxy S was not. As you can see here:
Samsung Captivate First Galaxy S With Official CM7 Nightly

Quote:
second of all, this isn't limited to CM..they sent A BUNCH of free phones out to developers...so now developers dont need to beg for donations to get their new phone so they can develop for it.. Samsung will provide them with new phones...no OEM did this before...and whats better is if they brick their phones..Samsung has top notch warranty...aka I can take my phone and smash it against the wall and Samsung will replace it to me free of charge...HTC will give me the option of buying a new one at FULL retail value..or hold my phone hostage until I pay them 27$ for return shipping...
Again, HTC already has developer support. They didn't need to do this. All of the major devs out there already have HTC ROMs. Samsung is the one playing catch up here, not HTC.

Quote:
And if you read the comments on engadget and the other sites who published this..a HUGE amount of people said they are now gonna skip the Evo 3D to get the SGS 2 when it hits the US because of this...
Care to place a bet on which one sells more? Just because a few people on engadget said they will get the Galaxy S 2 doesn't mean anything. I guarantee HTC will sell a whole lot more phones than Samsung, just like they always do. And there will be plenty of custom ROMs for every one of the HTC phones, just like there always is. Samsung is the one playing catch up here. And how ironic that you said HTC was just catching up, at best, to what every other OEM did several years ago. Clearly, HTC is not the one playing catch up here.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:39 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Feel free to list them then. Don;t tell me efficiency matters unless you are going to list the efficiency of both devices. We know the Evo 3D has a higher resolution and glasses free 3D. These are big deals.
1) prefect blacks
2) 60,000+ contrast
3) 4% screen reflect
4) 69 - 83 brightness contrast
5) 2.36 gamma intensity
6) infinite contrast ratio
7) 0 power displaying blacks
1000x faster response time over lcds
9) better viewing angles
10) lower power consumption on all colors except white
11) can operate and lower and higher temperatures then lcds

OLED is the tech after LCDs...right now you see LCD tvs with 3d and etc..2012+ is gonan be the year of OLED TVs..right now OLED TVs cost too much like 10,000$ for a 30" screen...

Quote:
I don't know how many megapixels they convert at. But I can assure you it is plenty enough for facebook since you keep saying that is the only thing people use their camera for.
I said facebook AND image sites...and as I said HTC has a history of having sub par cameras..where as the SGS 2 has a camera that even beats the iphone 4 and etc..not suprsing as unlike HTC, Samsung actually manufactures cameras!

Quote:
And you do realize skye isn't showing a 2 megapixel video stream, right? So, again, tell me why the front camera is enough for you to label it an advantage on the sammy when you have never even seen a pic from the HTC. You said it was based on extra megapixels, but I have yet to hear os a use case where those extra megapixels will ever be used by anyone. The thing is designed for video chat which doesn't display nor stream a 2 megapixel video stream.
I know skype right now does not use 1080p video but it will in the near future, and there are techs that do support 1080p video, you also can use it for better self portraits and etc..I mean many things dont support 3d and you have no problems touting that...

Quote:
It is not VITAL for business, lol. Do you even know what you're talking about? Tell me this: if an IT guy has a hundred devices to prepare and hand out to an entire department, and all of them will be identical... Say he gets a nand backup of the first device. He then tries to restore that nand on the other 99 devices. Will this work on the Sammy? Is that a good thing or bad thing? Do you think this would work on the HTC? Is that a good thing or bad thing?
First of all its optional..second of all...he is not suppose to do nand backups..you have something called "remote syncing"....no one does nand backups in corporate environments...

Quote:
That is totally fine for them to do. It doesn't give them any advantage though. It's not like Samsung is the only company making components. HTC is free to buy whatever components they want from whoever they want.
Yes they can but you also have to realize that while they can buy components from other sources..other sources dont just go throwing out latest components either..they first release "prototypes" for testing then have the buyers like HTC make orders...Samsung can skip this entire lengthy process and just manufacture it out the gate..thats a HUGE advantage...not to mention Samsung has patents on components they release which prevent others from manufacturing similar new tech unless they are licensed with them.

Quote:
That is exactly what a plea bargain is. The accused pleads guilty- aka admits he committed a crime. Seriously, every single day countless people in the USA plead guilty and don't go to jail. And the more money you have, the more serious crimes you can get away with.
plea bargain means he makes a deal..no deals the politicians jsut are too afraid to touch him because it can hurt the korean economy..as I said before..korea is one of the onyl countries that avoided recession..anyways this is pointless to our discussion.

Quote:
I am absolutely not misunderstanding. You clearly don't know what you're talking about. I'll explain below...

First of all, CyanogenMod is a TEAM, not a person. There are several people involved that own many different devices. It's not one person who happens to own this type of phone. Secondly, I never claimed that HTC devices were the ONLY devices supported by Cyanogen. I said the Galaxy S was not. As you can see here:
Samsung Captivate First Galaxy S With Official CM7 Nightly
Cyanogen is a person..he has a team...but he is the one who started it...when he started it he got an HTC device because at the time HTC was only choice for Android...from then on more people added on..Samsung would have been added either way...them giving the device is an EXTRA..not the deciding factor...

Quote:
Again, HTC already has developer support. They didn't need to do this. All of the major devs out there already have HTC ROMs. Samsung is the one playing catch up here, not HTC.
... your saying giving developers free phones is playing catchup? its a sign of favorism to the community..this act got them a bunch of people to favor the SGS2 over the Evo 3d..read the comments...its not only about having developers..its also about keeping them..and if the other side has better phones and sends you a free phone in the mail while the other guy doesn't..who would you choose?

Quote:
Care to place a bet on which one sells more? Just because a few people on engadget said they will get the Galaxy S 2 doesn't mean anything. I guarantee HTC will sell a whole lot more phones than Samsung, just like they always do. And there will be plenty of custom ROMs for every one of the HTC phones, just like there always is. Samsung is the one playing catch up here. And how ironic that you said HTC was just catching up, at best, to what every other OEM did several years ago. Clearly, HTC is not the one playing catch up here.
ok..I'll take you on this bet....now before anyone cries fowl..I want to confirm...the bet is "Who sells more phones HTC or Samsung?"..I want you to pay very close attention to the wording so that you dont say anything in the future..if this wording is ok with you then my bet is on Samsung.

Last edited by gTen; 06-08-2011 at 05:55 PM.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison