PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 02:01 AM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 View Post
I'm a Windows fanboy and probably will be for a long time. If and when Windows Phone 7 (or changes, I might go back but after having the pleasure of using the Epic and Android, it is obvious that Microsoft dropped the ball big time with Windows Phone 7. Plain and simple, Microsoft's slogan for the WP7 should have been as follows:

"The simplicity of the iPhone with the versatility of an Android."

The problem is, they only followed the first half of the idea but did not complete the second half.

I believe Microsoft Windows Phone 7 will be a distant 3rd (or 4th) for years to come until they adapt to today's market. I really hope they do, Windows Phone 7 is a good product, but it could be a GREAT product if Microsoft had a greater vision....
I agree. Appealing to the average user and the geeks who like to tweak their phones alike.

Tapa tapa tapa
Old 04-15-2011, 05:36 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Re: How Microsoft could have overtaken the Smarthphone market....

now that the thread was moved to its proper place, i can respond and stay on topic. MS won't go wrong with wp7 as long as they stop treating their products like little children with toys...MS will come out with something because the other guy is doing it, make it nice...but then just up and pull the plug and does something different. as much belly-aching i read about winmo, if MS would've kept development coming and updated winmo regularly...it would've been a beast out there.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 2032/6700/6800/Arrive/Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

I really hope the programmers at Microsoft have their eyes open to this Windows iPhone 7 nonsense. They had a really good product, but locking it down and forcing users to use their propriatery software is ridiculous. I used to love Windows and that is why I took a chance on Windows iPhone 7, but now it seems that Android will be the standard and hopefully Microsoft can adapt.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:24 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

-Enkidu- is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Since we're sharing, here's my humble opinion;
If you want an extremely versatile & customizable phone; get Android or stick with 6.5 for a while until wp7 (hopefully) grows up.

I was worried I was going to be locked in my apt the first few days of ownership, nope. Is it Iphoney, perhaps. Maybe that's why I am still experiencing customization withdrawals, dunno.

In the end wp7 makes my girlfriend happy, just like the commercials said =)

YouTube - Bedroom Really | New Windows Phone 7 Official Ad
Old 04-16-2011, 01:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

InsomniacJedi is keeping up the good workInsomniacJedi is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Just my two cents, but...

I completely disagree with the people who are crying out about "customization." I loved being able to tweak my TP2 and change all sorts of things about it to suit my own liking. But the reason I loved that was because it was the only GOOD thing about Windows Mobile 6.5.

I owned an HTC TP2 before I went over to the HTC Arrive. That thing was customizable to the nth degree, but it would also crash twice a day, not allow me to answer calls, would lock up when opening a text, go into the dreaded "sleep of death" and had numerous other flaws. It basically got to the point where it was almost un-usable. It was to the point that my phone wasn't even working as a phone at all. Granted, I was running the stock Sprint ROM, but the fact of the matter is that I should NEVER have to install some other unofficial ROM to make the phone work "better." It should work right out of the box.

That's what the Arrive does. It works. I have not run into a single problem with the phone. It fetches e-mail, it browses the internet, it doesn't freeze when I open up my text messages, and it actually works as a phone, which was hard to say for my old TP2 on some days. If it means I can't tweak some things so that the phone can work, then I can live with that sacrifice. People love the iPhone because, if you will excuse the phrase, "it just plain works." That is what people want these days. Something that works, not something like WM6.5.

Windows Phone 7 is stable. It works and that is more than I can say for my old TP2 with WM6.5. I will always forsake those little tweaks that can be made for something that delivers a solid performance that I can rely on.

That's been my experience anyway. Take from it what you will.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:13 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsomniacJedi View Post

That's what the Arrive does. It works. I have not run into a single problem with the phone. It fetches e-mail, it browses the internet, it doesn't freeze when I open up my text messages, and it actually works as a phone, which was hard to say for my old TP2 on some days. If it means I can't tweak some things so that the phone can work, then I can live with that sacrifice.
android has "just worked" for 2 years now and is still fully customizable. wp7 is a little late to the perty.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work
Wink Re: How Microsoft could have overtaken the Smarthphone market....

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin420 View Post
android has "just worked" for 2 years now and is still fully customizable. wp7 is a little late to the perty.
Late to the party and completely unprepared. Microsoft could have hit a Grand Slam with this new iperating system, but instead they grounded out.....
Old 04-17-2011, 01:14 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
I owned an HTC TP2 before I went over to the HTC Arrive. That thing was customizable to the nth degree, but it would also crash twice a day, not allow me to answer calls, would lock up when opening a text, go into the dreaded "sleep of death" and had numerous other flaws. It basically got to the point where it was almost un-usable. It was to the point that my phone wasn't even working as a phone at all. Granted, I was running the stock Sprint ROM, but the fact of the matter is that I should NEVER have to install some other unofficial ROM to make the phone work "better." It should work right out of the box.
Having a custom rom work better does not mean it does not work out of box...just means that it can get better..for example..if you overclock you phone to 1.2ghz..it would obviously work better...no matter how good the manufacturer makes something, there will aways be room for improvement....

Another example is things like wireless tether where they want to charge you 30$ a month extra..using modifications you can get that for free...or when carrier pre-loads carrier IQ on your phone you can get that removed..so there is always room to make something "better" no matter how good it initially is...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 04-19-2011, 11:29 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Epic 4G

gjhuff is just getting started
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Just my two cents, but...

I completely disagree with the people who are crying out about "customization." I loved being able to tweak my TP2 and change all sorts of things about it to suit my own liking. But the reason I loved that was because it was the only GOOD thing about Windows Mobile 6.5.

That's what the Arrive does. It works. I have not run into a single problem with the phone. It fetches e-mail, it browses the internet, it doesn't freeze when I open up my text messages, and it actually works as a phone, which was hard to say for my old TP2 on some days. If it means I can't tweak some things so that the phone can work, then I can live with that sacrifice. People love the iPhone because, if you will excuse the phrase, "it just plain works." That is what people want these days. Something that works, not something like WM6.5.

Windows Phone 7 is stable. It works and that is more than I can say for my old TP2 with WM6.5. I will always forsake those little tweaks that can be made for something that delivers a solid performance that I can rely on.

That's been my experience anyway. Take from it what you will.
Good points all. I have tweaked my TP2 often resulting in having to do a hard re-set. But I like to tinker, I like to tether when WI-FI isn't available and most of all, I like to experiment with different apps. Ballmer said it all when he said that WM 6.5 was for computers with phones and W 7 is for phones with computers. I like the former, you like the latter. That is what makes America great. I will vote with my feet and go to an Epic unless W7 evolves to my preferences.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I apologize. When I stated "customization" I meant simple things such as a choice in how to transfer files, background photos, applications in different pages, multiple home screen pages, etc... NOT flashing or hacking the device to get things to work....

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Tags
android, htc arrive, iphone, windows phone 7, wp7