PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: What Mobile OS should I choose
Andriod 4 80.00%
Windows 7 1 20.00%
blackberry 0 0%
lol iOS 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: USCC

Grafton is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Next Mobile OS?

I am frustrated by the new mobile OS's, mainly because none of the ones I've used have had the basic feature set that my windows mobile 6.5 tp2 has.

iOS - not a big fan of apple and I'm not switching to AT&T

Blackberry - I hate how the email is handled, and there aren't that many touch screen options.

Andriod - I'mn dual booting it right now and apart for the number of apps I don't care for it. It lacks the basic functions That i use all the time in winmo.

Windows 7 - han't used it but it seems vastly different than 6.5

right now the features i use the most on my winmo phone are:

tethering via usb, Bluetooth or wifi depending on the situation, all for no extra fee or extra apps* (wifi is from htc)

Spreadsheets, I use excel on my phone to keep track of gas purchases I don't want to have to loose or re-enter all that data.

E-mail, I like hows it's nicely separated by account and has exchange support that i use with my school's email system.

Calendar, again it's exchange support, i enter it on the phone or computer and volia it gets updated to tinehe other no manual syncing or extra programs needed

Contacts, see calendar

web browsing - opera does everything fine no gripes

So when the time rolls around and i can get a new phone I have no clue what direction I am headed in the only time I boot andriod on my phone now is if i want to show off dual booting other than that it's just taking up space :/

suggestions? Honestly I just want a faster winmo 6.5 phone
Old 12-20-2010, 03:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: sprint

john80hotkey is becoming a great contributor
Re: Next Mobile OS?

you really should use a REAL android phone and not just the dual boot port on your tp2 before you really pass judgement as far the what OS to use out of the ones you named I would go with andriod. I have owned an EVO but im back on my tp2 it does what I need for now and will wait for something else to come along. as far as the functionality you are looking for its all there in android spreadsheet and doc editing can be accomplished with google docs. tethering can be accomplished for free after rooting with wifi tether or similar option, but hey even winmo needed a few registry tweaks and cabs to accomplish this. email is seperated by accounts gmail, yahoo, etc. cant comment on exchange never used it. I know it does support microsoft exchange just dont know how effectively it does. lastly the android stock browser is extremely good .. just as good as opera and I wouldn't worry so much about that Im pretty sure opera is working on a solution for andriod now. plus the ability to run flash video on 2.2 and up versions of android. 6.5 is a dead dino that we are keeping resurrected as soon as wp7 drops for cdma development we almost cease on 6.5 there will be die hards but understand no operating system out is as old or mature as windows 6.5 iphone and android are developing rapidly so in just a little more time there won't be anything one can do over the other. but if you are determined to stay with 6.5 get a HD2 from tmobile has the beefed up specs of the latest phone but kept the 6.5 software
Old 12-20-2010, 04:20 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafton View Post
Andriod - I'mn dual booting it right now and apart for the number of apps I don't care for it. It lacks the basic functions That i use all the time in winmo.
As the guy before me stated..a port is no where close to true representation of Android...

Quote:
Windows 7 - han't used it but it seems vastly different than 6.5
Yes its a completely different OS...

Quote:
tethering via usb, Bluetooth or wifi depending on the situation, all for no extra fee or extra apps* (wifi is from htc)
The HTC wifi tether did not come from the TP2, it came from the Topaz, people just included it in custom roms..ICS was locked by default...There are plenty of apps on android to make it tether all ways once you root...(2.2 came with it by default but carriers removed it as always)

Quote:
Spreadsheets, I use excel on my phone to keep track of gas purchases I don't want to have to loose or re-enter all that data.
There are plenty of implementations of office for Android, Androffice, Documents to Go, Thinkfree..my Epic came with Thinkfree office by default.

Quote:
E-mail, I like hows it's nicely separated by account and has exchange support that i use with my school's email system.
Not a problem, and if you dont like the default email client, unlike winmo there are actually decent alternative email clients...

Quote:
Calendar, again it's exchange support, i enter it on the phone or computer and volia it gets updated to tinehe other no manual syncing or extra programs needed
Also not a problem..

Quote:
Contacts, see calendar
same, not a problem..

Quote:
web browsing - opera does everything fine no gripes
We have many choices for web browsers, including Opera, Firefox and Skyfire..

Quote:
suggestions? Honestly I just want a faster winmo 6.5 phone
I think you should give Android a shot, there are faster winmo phones ofcourse like the LG Fathom and HD 2..but trust me if you try an Epic for example..there is no going back..its that sweet >.> lol

If you want to stay with USCC, then Samsung Mesmerize is the cousin to the Epic..

PS dont take using extra apps outside of the default as a bad thing..everyone has their preferences and thats where choice comes in...just like you choose to use Opera over IE on winmo

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 12-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ipad
Carrier: AT&T

fredycleark is a n00b

I am currently using Samsung Galaxy S which best phone to use.Because of the Google Android 2.1 OS.This is the best Operating system to use on mobile phones.I am used Nokia Symbain phones but I don't like symbain OS.Google Android Os is best OS to use.Now a days more leading mobile manufacterers like HTC , LG , Samsung ,Micromax and manymore are using Android OS to create best smartphone.Other OS are not give you choice like Android.So go with Google Android.Thanks

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison