PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Phone Comparison (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   EVO vs Epic.. Thinking of Evo, need opinions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=134208)

Phen0m 09-23-2010 10:55 AM

EVO vs Epic.. Thinking of Evo, need opinions

Well I have the EPIC, and I know this is an EVO forum, but im seeking information.. as im coming up on my 30days.. and want to make a sound decision.

Im really not too disenchanted with my EPIC unlike most people, the biggest issues for me are:
Phone charges slower than any phone ive ever seen, and also drains just as fast.. You can do things to increase standby Battery time, but in-use.. the Battery literally drips away right in front of you(funny because super amoled is supposed to help immensely with batt. life).

EVO Questions:
-How is the EVO's IN-USE battery time approx. I know this will widely vary, but with normal usage(web, IM's, gaming.. what can i expect).

-Gaming, How well do emulators(PSX in particular) run? How are the touch-screen controls?

-Does the EVO have a "sleep" method for 3G/4G(Epic does sleep when not in use)

-Overall performance.. Ive had 0 issue's with my EPIC gaming or in Multimedia.. how does the EVO fare in this arena?

-Lastly.. how is the sound when used as a mp3 player?

Thanks!!

clockcycle 09-23-2010 12:37 PM

Re: EVO vs Epic.. Thinking of Evo, need opinions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phen0m (Post 1953614)
Well I have the EPIC, and I know this is an EVO forum, but im seeking information.. as im coming up on my 30days.. and want to make a sound decision.

Im really not too disenchanted with my EPIC unlike most people, the biggest issues for me are:
Phone charges slower than any phone ive ever seen, and also drains just as fast.. You can do things to increase standby Battery time, but in-use.. the Battery literally drips away right in front of you(funny because super amoled is supposed to help immensely with batt. life).

EVO Questions:
-How is the EVO's IN-USE battery time approx. I know this will widely vary, but with normal usage(web, IM's, gaming.. what can i expect).

-Gaming, How well do emulators(PSX in particular) run? How are the touch-screen controls?

-Does the EVO have a "sleep" method for 3G/4G(Epic does sleep when not in use)

-Overall performance.. Ive had 0 issue's with my EPIC gaming or in Multimedia.. how does the EVO fare in this arena?

-Lastly.. how is the sound when used as a mp3 player?

Thanks!!

The EVO's battery drains faster than the Epic.

The Epic has a GPU for a better gaming experience.

The EVO sleeps just like the Epic does.

The Epic is slightly better at multimedia.

As for use as an MP3 player, it really all comes down to your headphones.

This is coming from me as an EVO owner since it's release.

IMHO your questions about your Epic, actually perform worse on the EVO.

-CC

2k4mach 09-23-2010 12:44 PM

all your questions the epic is the superior device. having both i prefer the evo, and the wife prefers the epic.

using the evo as a mp3 player, i use my etymotic ER-4P headphones and the sound is everybit as good as the epic and only slightly worse than my ipod.

JeffKay 09-23-2010 12:48 PM

I've had a EVO since launch. I got my son the Epic and spennt good time with it. I would choose the epic hands down if I had the chance now. I like my EVO, but the Epic seems superior is every respect. Including build quality. IMHO

rigo 09-23-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffKay (Post 1953745)
I've had a EVO since launch. I got my son the Epic and spennt good time with it. I would choose the epic hands down if I had the chance now. I like my EVO, but the Epic seems superior is every respect. Including build quality. IMHO

build quality I don't think so!
U guys call better multimedia being able to buy 12 dollar movies on a phone
The only thing better of the epic is the screen and that comes down to preference.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk Pro

JeffKay 09-23-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigo (Post 1953874)
build quality I don't think so!
U guys call better multimedia being able to buy 12 dollar movies on a phone
The only thing better of the epic is the screen and that comes down to preference.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk Pro

Sir, are you serious? All the screen separation issues? Cracking in cases? Again, my EVO is my favorite gadget, but I would pick an Epic Now.

Also, the Epic has THE BEST Codec support I've ever encountered on a smartphone. It plays MKV natively. That rocks!

I had three HTC smartphones. All marginal build quality at best. The other Samusung smartphone I have (Old i730) is a tank and still works ( if activated)

But.. to each tis own...

antjones21 09-23-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffKay (Post 1953745)

How is the EPIC better I need some details here? I'm pretty sure the Samsung OS is not better than HTC's Sense. According to Cnet the EVO is better and it hasn't lost a prizefight to any phone yet.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/prizefight-ep...contentBody;1n
Samsung Epic 4G vs. HTC EVO 4G | Page 2

Rager02 09-23-2010 02:49 PM

Battery is ok.dont think you'll get much better results with evo.

Gaming is better on epic.emulators run fine.

I've had zero problems with multimedia.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk.

MikeElGiga23 09-23-2010 03:11 PM

I'm an Epic owner (had the EVO) and honestly I can say that the Epic is superior in almost all hardware aspects, screen, cpu, camera, accelerometer (6 axel) etc. But what I'm starting to not like about it is the stock/like android experience it offers (except the launcher) versus what SenseUI offers. Sense is like a whole new android experience fom the launcher with its widgets to all the core apps, it screams high end like no other Android device can match IMHO and my Epic feels so bland after owning a Sense device (or maybe I just dnt like stock Android)

Anyway, I'm considering swapping the Epic back to thev EVO. But that's just me.

Conclusion:

Epic = hardware
EVO = software

Whichever you prioritize when looking for a powerful device

2k4mach 09-23-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antjones21 (Post 1953910)
How is the EPIC better I need some details here? I'm pretty sure the Samsung OS is not better than HTC's Sense. According to Cnet the EVO is better and it hasn't lost a prizefight to any phone yet.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/prizefight-ep...contentBody;1n
Samsung Epic 4G vs. HTC EVO 4G | Page 2

they both run Android OS, your talking about there GUI's.

personally i like sense better than touchwiz.