PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511
thinking about upgrading.... opinions/comparisons

i have a few questions and im the kind of person who likes to get opinions from other people... so feel free to give your personal opinion.. thanks

1. droid x? droid 2? droid inc? which one??

2. theres no roms for any of them so im wondering if my oc'd, rooted droid running simply stunning 4.6 at 1.1ghz is better than a stock droid x or droid 2 or droid inc.

3. do you think i shouldnt upgrade? are the new models not much improved? should i wait for a new droid? or do you think the droid 1 is the currently my best choice?

thank you very much

Old 09-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid 2
Carrier: Verizon

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: thinking about upgrading.... opinions/comparisons

Well, I have only had my D2 for less than a day now, but I can give you my initial opinion vs. the D1.

1.) It is much more solidly built. Tight screen, the buttons aren't loose, the keyboard keys feel more solid.
2.) The keyboard is a bit better. It's not TP2 keyboard, but definitely an improvement. The keys are now raised and you can feel what you're doing.
3.) Motoblur is an adjustment, but can be setup just like vanilla 2.2.
4.) The phone is very fast and smooth. More so than my D1 at 1.2ghz.
5.) The phone is dark metallic blue instead of black like the D1.
6.) The new camera app is more functional and has more features than the D1 has.
7.) The phone feels slightly heavier than the D1.
8.) The facelift is nice with a dark chrome bezel and more rounded edges. Most of the rough/angular edges on the D1 are gone.

Other than that, the changes are minimal. I WOULD NOT personally pay full retail to upgrade to this phone. I was more than happy to accept it as a free upgrade due to the shortage of D1 replacements. For the most part, the D1 can do everything it can do and just as well. The D2 is faster and looks much better, but functionally, there's not a huge difference.

As for the X:
1.) It's f'in huge and I don't like it.
2.) I couldn't get past #1.

As for the DINC:
1.) It's a great looking phone.
2.) It has an optical trackball/mouse that I like.
3.) The phone feels light and cheaply made/plasticy.
4.) The 8MP camera is nice.
5.) The phone is getting a bit dated now.
6.) I have seen many complaints about the "phantom ringer" that many other HTC devices have. My TP2 did this and was ultimately my reason for ditching it.
7.) There are also complaints about the call quality being sub-par.
8.) The battery life sucks. It lasts about half of what the D1/2 last.

As for software and the difference in the OS version, they are all about the same. The hardware is where the differences are.

Last edited by tvandyck7; 09-01-2010 at 11:55 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Threadstarter

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511

hmmm.... well assurian gave me a choice...... im not gonna choose the inc and i kinda like the x... do you not like it because its huge or for other reasons?

are there roms for the droid 2 or x? if not can i still wifi tether?
Old 09-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Yeah, I just don't like the size. The software is going to be pretty much identical to the Droid 2's. The camera should be pretty impressive.
As far as roms go: the X has an e-fuse that trips if an unapproved rom is flashed. You would then have to have it reset by Motorola. This is their way of preventing custom roms from being loaded. The D2 will probably have roms out sooner or later, if it gets enough support. That is the problem. It was released when the Droid 1 is still under contract for most people. Therefore, it might or might not get much support due to this.

Without root and custom roms, WiFi tether will cost $20/mo an any of these devices. The DINC is the only one at this time with root.

If you are lucky like me, VZW will be out of D1's for replacement and send you a D2 under warranty for no cost. If you want an X or DINC, you'll have to pay the $90 for insurance to get it.

Last edited by tvandyck7; 09-01-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800 & Moto Droid
Carrier: VZW

iced98lx is a n00b

the droid 2 and droid x are both rooted, allowing you to wifi tether for free.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Oh. I didn't realize that they'd been rooted yet.
You'll be good to go on any of them then.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Zombway: Eat Flesh
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: VZW

z0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIP

droid x also has a flyx rom out in the beta stages as well.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

Moved to Phone Comparison.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Another few things I just noticed about the D2, it has a video trimmer for MMS, it has City ID caller ID, and a battery and data manager.

The video trimmer is a nice addition because I hated it when I took the video I wanted on the D1 and couldn't send it.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison