PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 10:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

linzgeneral is keeping up the good worklinzgeneral is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Super amoled screens not very sharp? Don't want on EVO.

Is it me or are the super amoled screesn simply not as sharp as normal lcd screens such as the EVO or Droids? I am a stickler for a sharp screen and looking at the super amoleds seems like looking as font constructed from lego blocks. The resolution grid, if you will, is very obvious/visible and not very impressive. I noticed this first on the Droid Incredible and to a worst extent on the Samsung Galaxy S which I looked at yesterday. I am simply not very impressed at either of these screens and wonder if we will suffer the same visual fate in the event that a future superphone or even subsequent revisions of the EVO switches to the amoled screens. Sure the colors are great but if that means blocky font then I am not willing to take one step forward and two backward. To be honest I am completely satisfied with color on my EVO, just wished resolution was higher.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:33 AM
adam12

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Super amoled screens not very sharp? Don't want on EVO.

It's you.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

forcelite is a n00b

I think your on to something as my mom just got the brand new Samsung Android slider, the one that replaces the moment, and it doesn't look sharp at all compared to the evo.

Force
Old 07-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

Altimate_Dream is a n00b

A buddy of mine got the vibrant on tmobile and Im not that impressed with the screen at all. Its nice but, its not that much better than my evo screen.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

linzgeneral is keeping up the good worklinzgeneral is keeping up the good work

People have got to understand, there is a big difference between bright and vibrant as opposed to sharp and clear. the Iphone 4's retina display is sharp and clear. The Amoleds are not sharp and clear but rather blocky and pixelated. The EVO screen is sharper than the Samsung in terms of obvious pixels.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:28 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE

subzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to subzero1313 Send a message via MSN to subzero1313 Send a message via Yahoo to subzero1313

Definitely you. When Sammy announced the Epic, 2 DMs were in my store with the phones, the screen was amazing.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

gutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuff

I read the amoled screens use subpixels not full RGB pixels! Probably to keep costs down. I wonder if samsung will do the same with the epic? If they do...The epic will look good from far but far from good.

Last edited by gutrrob; 07-25-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:09 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The reason why it seems blocky is the PenTile Matrix display with the sub pixels..aka you have less effective pixels...this in turn saves battery life

This is a reglar AMOLED..not Super AMOLED but similar concept:

that said you generally would not notice it unless you look REALLY closely...

That said I do not see a reason to want more resolution on the EVO...the resolution is ok...it actually is missing A LOT of colors...if you look at gradients they look completely unnatural...

I think if anything Super AMOLED needs more resolution to be perfect..sub pixels are not that bad if you consider the fact that even the creator of square pixels criticized their existence...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

I'm rocking a really good/stable Froyo ROM on my HD2 and I have to say comparing it up close to the Vibrant with that Super AMOLED 4" screen is just better for the saturation and brightness it offers. Watching Avatar on that phone was pretty awesome, and you guys are also neglecting the fact of the Hummingbird owning the Snapdragon as far as GPU goes as well, which is a factor.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison