PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

reigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Switching from TP2 to EVO

Im about to drop the TP2 and move to the EVO. I can't stand virtual keyboards and really like the physical QWERTY TP2 has, so that has been hindering my decision a lot. I know the hardware specs of the EVO blow the TP2's away but I would like to know what some of your opinions are that have made the switch from TP2 to the EVO.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: at&t:HTC Aria waiting for WP7 to Arrive
Carrier: at&t

Oridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Re: Switching from TP2 to EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reigndropz View Post
Im about to drop the TP2 and move to the EVO. I can't stand virtual keyboards and really like the physical QWERTY TP2 has, so that has been hindering my decision a lot. I know the hardware specs of the EVO blow the TP2's away but I would like to know what some of your opinions are that have made the switch from TP2 to the EVO.
It's a no brainer. I went from a tp2 to an evo. You will get used to the software kb's. There are many available too... like swype and a multitouch keyboard (im using the multi touch one right now and typing as fast as i did on my touch pro 2. The keys are really big in landscape, even bigger than the tp2's. You wont regret your decision.

Sent from my rooted HTC EVO using Tapatalk Pro.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

MidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to MidwestDrummer Send a message via MSN to MidwestDrummer Send a message via Yahoo to MidwestDrummer
Re: Switching from TP2 to EVO

I always told myself that I would never go back to a virtual keyboard, after having so many typing issues on the HTC Touch. But after trading in my TP2 for the EVO, I couldn't be happier. The screen and, by association, the keyboard, are huuuuge, and I have absolutely no issues typing. This is coming from a guy with gargantuan man fingers too!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SPRINT

cmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I actually am typing faster. The spell correction feature of the Evo makes it very easy just to type as fast as you can and as long as you are remotely close to the word, it fixes it automatically. I was a diehard physical keyboard fan as well coming from the TP2. I will never look back!!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

no brainer...

I moved from a history of hardware keyboards...and I don't miss them one bit.

You're talking a leap in specs from the Mogul to the Touch Pro 2. when you have one in your hand...it'll be night and day.

The biggest thing is not the hardware...but learning Android...the terminology, the functions..and just basic getting around the O/S.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO / TP2

OMGWTF_BBQ is keeping up the good workOMGWTF_BBQ is keeping up the good workOMGWTF_BBQ is keeping up the good work

Personally, I think that the EVO virtual keyboard is much better than the typing on my TP2's old hardware keys.
All you have to do is let auto correct do its thing and you'll be typing faster than on your TP2 in no time. The size difference between the TP2's on-screen keyboard and the EVO's is no comparison. The thing is HUGE!!! Like everyone here as said, you'll love it. You have no idea how amazing it is!

Android is an amazing OS. It'll just be a slight adjustment learning the new functions of Android versus Windows Mobile. But first and foremost, you'll see just how buttery smooth Android runs on a 1GHz Snapdragon. No choppiness what so ever. I have never used a hardware/software combo that works as well as my EVO.

Check out this post for some software advice. Just do some XDA and PPC reading and you'll be all set.

This phone is like crack.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Google-Search&Rescue Div.
Pocket PC: MoPho CM9/ MotoACTV / GTab 10.1(I/O LE)
Carrier: PPCGeeks/XDA

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH

Congrats, welcome to android. You won't look back!!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

Iron.Wraith is keeping up the good workIron.Wraith is keeping up the good work

I have a slighty different opinion. I struggle with the virtual kb. At times it's great and other times I hate it. It's my own fault as I'm old school and haven't still adapted to T9 etc. The kb on the TP2 is plain awesome and I prefer being able to actually feel the individual keys.

With that said, I still don't regret the switch at all. The screen responsiveness and speed of the phone still amazes. Touch-it happens. No waiting on a text window to pop up etc. The feel of the phone in general will make it tough for me to go back to a hardware keyboard unless they make a phone as thin somehow....

Will be waiting to hear your thoughts if you switch. cheers
Old 07-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

The evo is amazing and android os is amazing. Most of the evo owners on here came from a tp2 anyway so that should tell you something in itself. I also have preached about needing to have a hardware keyboard but you should get over it and for me personally I don't think I will ever go back to a hardware keyboard ever again. The biggest thing though is learning android like someone else said not to mention the whole root process is far more complicated that running hard-spl on a windows phone in my opinion. Not only that but similar mods on a winmo phone you could do without hspl but with android you would need root access. But to tell you the truth as far as form factor and even hardware, the tp2 was a great device but its obvious main problem was winmo(still has some advantages though).

Old 07-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron.Wraith View Post
I have a slighty different opinion. I struggle with the virtual kb. At times it's great and other times I hate it. It's my own fault as I'm old school and haven't still adapted to T9 etc. The kb on the TP2 is plain awesome and I prefer being able to actually feel the individual keys.

With that said, I still don't regret the switch at all. The screen responsiveness and speed of the phone still amazes. Touch-it happens. No waiting on a text window to pop up etc. The feel of the phone in general will make it tough for me to go back to a hardware keyboard unless they make a phone as thin somehow....

Will be waiting to hear your thoughts if you switch. cheers
I just sold my tp2 but before I packed it up to send it out I turned it on(just to say a final good bye) and I couldn't believe the difference between that and the evo as far as speed. Talk about a world of difference not to mention the difference between a resistive screen versus a capacitive screen.

To the threadstarter, if in fact the keyboard is that important to you, you could always wait for the epic 4g, thats a very nice looking device with a nice hardware keyboard.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison