PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 06:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

edub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Good read on how the media feed lies to the public...................

when it comes to Apple and the iPhone. Now I'm no fanboy, and I can agree with people if they are right, but most these so called professionals such as Rngadget, Cnet, and many other sites are feeding consumers bs. I think most of them do it because they know that this phone will sell to the majority and will seem uncredible if they say anything bad about this phone to the mass public, but when you are wrong you're wrong. I ran into this article and thought I would share. Just look at the second pic below and tell me that aint bs. The folks from the Mashable.com even had the nerve to take a shot at android as if they were selling iPhones themselves by saying " Multitasking- That supposedly doesn't drain the battery". Well I just thought I'd share. It's kinda long but it's honest.

" This will be a very cursory over view of the newest IPhone. I have had very limited time with it, and it has been covered ad nauseum in the blogosphere.

What I will do is provide the specs of the new IPhone with its closest and most capable competitor, the HTC Evo, and walk through real life experience with the Android powered Evo, debunking many a myth along the way. These comparisons are all over the web as well, unfortunately 95% of them that attempt any qualitative (or even an extended technical) comparison are biased as hell – extremely so. I leave it up to you to guess whose favor the biased tilts. I wanna be like Steve Jobs….

From Mashable.com:

Now, for those who didn’t pick up the biases, let me point them out. In addition, be aware that this is not just Mashable. Cnet, Wired, endgadget, ZDnet, PC Week, practically every major media tech rag that reported on these comparisons were highly unrealistic in their comparisons if they went beyond a simple table (in the example above even a simple table was significantly distorted), furthering the Apple cult marketing hegemony. Do you want to know what made me counter the noise? I actually spent time with the products.

First, let’s throw some facts at the comparison graphic above:

* To begin with, both HTC phones have more physical presence than the IPhone 4 due to their significantly larger screens, yet the graphic shows the IPhone 4 as larger. Whose marketing who? The color coding also causes the IPhone 4 to stand out demonstrably.
* Ports: What in the hell is a “standard” proprietary jack? The I/O port for the IPhone 4 is the proprietary Apple port, and it is standard only if you have an IPhone or IPod. There are no standards here. Conversely, the author fails to state that the HTC phones do use standard ports (USB 2.0). The author also fails to note that there is significant additional connectivity in the EVO with the inclusion of a micro HDMI port that outputs 720p video to any “standard” HDMI enabled device. Yeah, that term standard…
* Camera: The author failed to note that the Apple phone’s front facing camera is only VGA resolution, giving it about a quarter of the resolution of the EVO’s front facing camera. This difference should be noticeable, but we will have to test both phones in person to come to any realistic conclusion.
* Storage: The author gave the maximum possible storage for the Apple product, while simply quoting +microSD slot for the other products. In reality, the Incredible should read “up to 40 GB” and the Evo should read “up to 33 GB” if they are to be realistically compared to what was published for the Apple product. To be even more realistic and forth coming, it should be noted that the memory capacity for both Android phones can be maxed out (making both more capacity than the Iphone at its limit) and the phones will still be at least $5o cheaper than the IPhone 4.
* Connectivity: The author failed to note that the Evo features 4G connectvity in 32 cities (and counting) which is about 3 to 5 times faster than the 3G signal used by the Apple phone and the Incredible.
* The ability to wirelessly tether for business users has been totally ignored, most likely because Apple can’t do that without 3rd party apps and/or hacking into the OS.
* At the bottom, the author has “Apple debuts….”
o Video chat: It may be a debut for Apple, but other phones had it a long time ago. The Evo has it know, before the Apple was even launched. Why wasn’t this mentioned???
o Multitasking that supposedly doesn’t drain the battery: Doesn’t the Evo have that. With an adjustment of settings and/or the download of a free app, I have achieved 12 to 15 hours on my Evo without the battery going below 47%. This is at least as impressive as the Apple IPad, which admittedly impressed the hell out of me in terms of battery endurance.

In looking at reviews of the IPhone, it is near impossible to find an objective review. People are either Apple fanboi slave fanatics, or geeky Apple haters, with the vast majority (including both the MSM and the independent channels such as blogs, I’m talking to you Mashable, Wired, Cnet and ZDnet) falling into the fanboi camp. This is a good thing for Apple. Apple product ownership, particularly the mobile computing product ownership, is akin to belonging to a cult and seems to be considered a status symbol. I have everyone from the CEO’s of financial companies, to customer service reps in cell phone retail outlets to little bratty kids in the hood saying, “Hey, is that an Ipad, it’s so cool!” “Let me see it”. They don’t even identify it as a tablet computer, they refer to it by the Apple brand name. Kudos to Steve jobs in achieving marketing nirvana. He’s going to need it though, because I think Google is about to get in that ass! Below is a pic to illustrate the relative size and screens of the ITouch 3G, the HTC Touch Pro2 (Windows 6.1) and the HTC Evo w/Android showing that cool investment website.

Itouch, HTC touch2, HTC EVO

Here are a few things that I have not seen on the web regarding the HTC Evo should be of interest to users and those who have an interest in the space:

1. There is an OS refresh coming right around the corner (later this month) and the flash is available for download now. It includes a capable looking 3D interface and many new features, namely the ability to play full Flash video without compromise. Take a look at Froyo for Geeks or if you don’t speak Geeklish, in plain English.
2. The HTC has tight integration with Google’s killer apps, namely;
* Google Docs: It’s not Microsoft Office, and it does have its shortcomings, but it does work. You can also open word docs natively right in the Android OS. We use Google Docs here to embed live spreadsheets, like the illustration of the lies coming out of Europe’s indebted sovereign nations.
* Google Voice: VOIP done correctly, Google literally frees your from your carrier’s overpriced SMS, voicemail and long distance services by routing all through the web, mostly for free. You also get an alternate phone number that you choose, automated message transcription, and recording. Carriers should be shuddering if they haven’t invested heavily into their data networks and/or are relying on voice margins to remain where they are.
* Google Tranlsate
* Google Maps and Google Earth with intuitive use of the integrated GPS that makes these apps very, very useful and utilitarian, and allows them to serve as helper apps to 3rd party applications such as Zagats guides, yellow pages, etc..
* Voice activated Google Search throughout the vast majority of the phone features/apps – Now, most of these apps (save the most groundbreaking, voice which is just available on the Blackberry as far as I know) are available on other platforms but they are not as tightly integrated as they are in the Android system. In addition, the voice recognition on this phone is amazingly accurate.
3. HDMI out: this actually works, but only on 720p output, and there are some glitches. The video quality of both the IPhone 4 and the Evo are wanting in terms of videophile needs, but they stand head and shoulders above most of their competition (except maybe the 12 megapixel Nokia phone) and their predecessors. The problem is the sensors are still just too small.
4. 8 gb camera takes respectable pics, alas still with some noise – still amazing for a camera phone (and significantly better than the IPhone 4 pics that I have seen, although I haven’t personally compared side to side). The IPhone does seem to have marginally smoother HD playback, potentially due to the slightly higher frame rate. In any event, the HD video in both of these devices is technically in name only, and pales if compared to any dedicated HD recording device of decent caliber. In other words, don’ t get your hopes up, but realize that this is probably the best videography that you will always have in your pocket – at least for the time being. Below is a sample of the 8 megapixel pic taken outdoors with the Evo.

This is a pic taking indoors with similar settings, both without the aid of the double LED flash… htc indoors

5. 720p HD video: technically, and in name only – video is very noisy due to tiny sensor. The IPhone 4 is marginally better due to a 5 fps higher frame rate
6. The Evo appears to have a higher definition video call due to a much better quality front facing video camera.
7. Qik video conferencing, LIVE video broadcasting and sharing to nearly any client. This is a game changer, with widgets to automatically embed real time, live video in any web page and/or sharing to friends and contacts. This is heralding a paradigm shift in media, broadcast and publishing. Now, anyone can literally implement their own eyewitness news program, live and in real time. This technology actually works, and without many geeky tech glitches either.
8. The Evo allows streaming music from Rhapsody, et. al., all you can eat music for $10 per month. Apple finally caved on this as well, but there goes those margins in ITunes if this catches on, and how could it not? Apple has a heavy fan base, but this is a very, very big difference in costs here.
9. Battery is quickly consumed by all of the myriad features running simultaneously, not the power. The flexibility allows you to turn off the options a la carte to conserve power significantly. This entails going through the settings or reading the directions. As stated earlier, with about a minute or two of tweeks, my phone goes the entire day without breaking the 40% mark, rivaling the IPad in its miserly qualities.
10. The Evo is MUCH more of a micro ultraportable/tablet with full communication capability than a mere phone. This is a very powerful, very fast and very capable device with tons of expandability. I expect much of the same out of the Apple, but not all of the same. The Apple has a more refined, albeit significantly smaller screen (the IPad screen will be of a lower resolution than the IPhone 4, but movies will look better on the IPad due to the larger screen), and much less flexibility and expandability. On paper, it appears to be lesser powered as well, but the only way to find out is a real world test with some time spend with each device, something that I did not have opportunity to do.

While everybody is celebrating the Ipad and the IPhone 4, pushing Apple stock through the plasmoshere (I actually like Apple as a company, a literal marketing market – what Microsoft use to be), Google is quietly creating a technological, business model and strategic advantage wherein there will be no way in hell Apple will be able to keep up if things continue to progress at the current pace. In essence, Apple will be relying more and more on marketing prowess and less on capability and competitive technological innovation to maintain margin and revenue growth. That is a dangerous place to be. Simply observe the speed upon which the Google/Android/HTC ecosystem has developed and the power, flexibility and usability of this early product after just two years on the market. I am confident there will be a major Droid update way before Apple can get an IPhone 5 to the finish line and if they do get it, they will alienate their customers with near real time obsolescence. As it stands now, the current iteration of the droid appears to stand materially superior to the IPhone, albeit many of the advantages are in the eye of the beholder. Those who want status symbols and ultimate ease of use may prefer the IPhone. My time with the IPhone is non-existent, but from what I have seen, heard, experienced and according to the specs – it is totally outdone and there is an Android OS refresh coming out at the end of the month that will allow full flash (as compared to flash lite now, think Hulu on our cell phones) and additional power saving features – just in time for the official IPhone launch. Now, the chances of Apple sitting on their hands are close to nil, since they are well aware that handsitting is how THEY ate the previous handset hegemony’s lunch. The battle is on, and the end users are the ultimate winners through comptetitive innovation.

The latest technology released in the months of May, June and July show that Apple truly is an engineering, UI design, and marketing genius of a corporation, and more importantly that Google is increasingly well poised to knock Apple off of its perch.

For those of you are not yet aware, the Android is no joke. One reason why retailers such as Best Buy love to sell Apple products is because Apple kicks back some of the largest retail margin in the industry. One of the main reasons why the smaller but more prolific retailers dislike Apple but are forced to sell their products is because Apple’s retail store gets preference with products and product placement. Since Apple controls the entire channel, the only way to make money with Apple is to be a supplier or a retailer. Enter Google, who has created an open source OS that runs on a very wide variety of hardware. Yes, open source, as in free. From Wikipedia:

The unveiling of the Android distribution on 5 November 2007 was announced with the founding of the Open Handset Alliance, a consortium of 71 hardware, software, and telecom companies devoted to advancing open standards for mobile devices.[12][13] Google released most of the Android code under the Apache License, a free software and open source license.[14]

According to NPD Group, unit sales for Android OS smartphones ranked second among all smartphone OS handsets sold in the U.S. in the first quarter of 2010.[15][16] BlackBerry OS and iOS ranked first and third respectively.[17]

… With the exception of brief update periods, Android has been available as open source since 21 October 2008. Google opened the entire source code (including network and telephony stacks[32]) under an Apache License.[33]

With the Apache License, vendors can add closed-source extensions without submitting those back to the open source community.

This a potentially lethal threat to the Apple hegemony. For those who believe the Apple myth, drink the Kool Aid, or have just never tried a recent Google device such as the Nexus One with Froyo or the Evo, here are some findings from Nielson.com (be aware that Apple had a material head start over Google in the handset space):

Androids are being used more as actual computing devices than Apple, and both are more diversified in use then the rest of the smartphone community. Since Android users are younger, they rely much more on social media than the older audience of the IPhone whose users are heavier email users. This means that sticky social media apps will most likely proliferate.

Android is by far the newest OS out and has already claimed market share and is growing like a weed. Apple and Android are taking share from the others, but if Microsoft drops the ball with the V. 7 release of Windows Mobile, it will be Apple vs. Android! Palm, Symbian and RIM don’t stand as much of a chance as I see it, and RIM has a lot to lose!

… and that market share is growing faster than everybody else! Apple’s market share is three times that of Android, RIMM’s is 3.5x and MSFT’s is twice, but remember that Android is brand spanking new and has gained faster than ALL of those phones – all of them. The open source environment leaves fodder to go viral and the cost structure to handset makers and can’t be argued with – free is free. Admittedly, it has been my experience that open source is not truly free, it is just that the up front licensing costs have been shifted around to maintenance and customization costs, but it appears that this still may be cheaper than the Apple/MSFT/RIM solution. Look at the success of PHP, MySql, Joomla, etc.

Android also shares that damn near cult status loyalty found in the Apple lover’s crowd…

Next up, we attempt to sum this up in terms of business models, margins and most importantly potential valuation scenarios." - by Reggie Middleton

From http://boombustblog.com/reggie-middl...ner-takes-all/

Last edited by edub186; 06-24-2010 at 09:56 AM.
This post has been thanked 18 times.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:29 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Good read on how the media feed lies to the public...................

We've seen the media bias every time the elections roll around. They pick their pet politicians, and then lead the masses by the figurative nose to drink the Kool-Aid
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: sprint

*king* is becoming a great contributor

Wow that is alot, and i agree with most of what you posted but google voice is not a viop service.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

edub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I was looking at a news clip and the new broadcaster said that multitasking was revolutionary. I could not believe she said that, it kinda pissed me off. I could multitask on my Moto Q from years ago. It's crazy how the media can brainwash people. I was at work and people was swearing that Apple invented touch screen phones. It just amaze me.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:41 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

Great write up. I find it funny that Apple is getting all this news coverage for the iPhone 4 release on both national and local news. They're showing all the lines @ the Apple Stores, talking about the 600,000 pre-orders (a lot of which are being cancelled by Apple from what I hear) - yet the EVO had the biggest release Sprint has ever seen (or at least the biggest in a very long time), had long lines forming outside Sprint stores, etc, and not a peep on any MSM outlets that I know of... Just goes to show how Apple feels the need to say "hey look at us!" and Sprint/HTC are perfectly content to fly in under the radar - I didn't even see TV commercials for the EVO until a couple of days after launch
Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Well, AT&T is the old dog on the block. Sprint was, after all, an offshoot of a railroad company (Sprint stands for "Southern Pacific Railroad Intelligent Network of Telecommunications"), so they aren't doing too bad.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:15 AM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrigham View Post
Just goes to show how Apple feels the need to say "hey look at us!" and Sprint/HTC are perfectly content to fly in under the radar - I didn't even see TV commercials for the EVO until a couple of days after launch
i dont really like apple but seriously, of course they feel the need to say hey look at me, they are a business. more publicity means more products sold which means more money, lol i dont understand how that would be a bad thing for a company to get more coverage. and as far as sprint being content "flying under the radr" well if thats their plan is pretty stupid for lack of a better word. why would a company that has been bleeding customers/profits for a couple years now want their flagship product to be under the radar. the fact that you didnt see commercials till after release is really poor marketing thats not something they should be proud of. maybe they shouldve left the evo in a bar
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I just got banned at Engadget because of this. LOL, threatening paul lilly was fun! I run my own servers and I'm starting an Engadget BASH site. Nothing will be posted that's not true, I mean I won't have too because just about everything they say is BS.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4g
Carrier: SPRINT

wchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Good read. But its the public's fault, they dont take the time to research. They see a shiny phone, and they have to have it.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
they are a business. more publicity means more products sold which means more money
Sure, but word of mouth is just as good if not better than news coverage. Main Stream Media didn't cover any of the EVO launch and they're STILL sold out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
and as far as sprint being content "flying under the radr" well if thats their plan is pretty stupid for lack of a better word.
well, I was mostly referring to the news and main stream media radar... again, the fact that they continue to be sold out everywhere is a testament to how well they're doing even while the media is worshiping at the Altar of Jobs...

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison