PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Phone Comparison (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   SPRINT TP2 with Sero over EVO (personal experience) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=126320)

sonysw 06-23-2010 01:29 PM

SPRINT TP2 with Sero over EVO (personal experience)

I would like to share this with all of you who curious of the experience of Evo over TP2. I have tried both for 2 weeks and honestly I still like my TP2 with mighty rom over Evo. Here are why:
- Evo is big and heavy. The android os is nice but the phone is just too big and heavy for the most functions that I need to use. Not mentioning there is no keyboard. It is hard for me to text in evo--probably I have to get use to with it but still nothing better than real keyboard.
- I also find the mighty rom (MR) is very stable over sprint 6.5 OEM rom. I have never encountered any problem after flashing it to MR. Thanks for all you guys here.
- The display for web browsing is very nice in evo but I can do almost the same with skyfire.
- The battery is the main problem. It barely last for one day. If you have to stay late until 7PM-- you need to recharge the phone or have a spare battery. If you browse alot during the day, it won't last until 5 PM.
- The saving of $40 a month with sero is hard to beat. This will translate to $960 for 2 years...quit a big saving to me.
- 4G is not available in my area until next year so why waste money ?
- EVO is not worldphone so if you travel to europe or asia :( ??? I prefer the TP2.

So I decided to keep my TP2 and hope for a better device in the horizon. You probably disagree but this is what I felt. Feel free to chime in.....thanks.

Wesley762 06-23-2010 01:55 PM

Re: SPRINT TP2 with Sero over EVO (personal experience)

Nice post, should have gone into the phone comparison forum but none the less nice post.

sonysw 06-23-2010 02:39 PM

I did not know there is such forum. Anyway....the one thing that make me keep TP2 is custom rom. Mighty Rom is great ! I hate sprint 6.5 OEM rom........I have so much problem with it and seems corrected after flashing to custom rom. It just shows how much better we are compare to big company R&D.

AZTECHKA 06-23-2010 03:03 PM

Phone comparison forum??? You didn't know???
You'll soon find this thread there. That'll be a nice intro for you.
I like your writeup. Nicely done bro. I run the stock sprint 6.5 rom and am perfectly happy with it now.
I did have the screen of death and got my phone replaced. No problems since.
p.

rainfreak 06-23-2010 03:12 PM

Like they said, this fits better in the Phone Comparison forum, which is where it has been moved.

muyoso 06-23-2010 04:00 PM

Kind of hard to compare a basic un-tweaked EVO to a HIGHLY tweaked and customized Touch Pro 2.

Flash the basic sprint rom on the Touch Pro 2 for a more accurate comparison. The evo can be tweaked just as much as the TP2 has been. They just enabled Wireless N and over 30FPS graphics today alone.

Mojary 06-23-2010 04:02 PM

nice sum up OP. my bro-in-law bought the evo and he said that battery life did suck. he had to buy an aftermarket back-up. and im in the same boat as you regarding the $$$ going out in buying/owning the evo....and not a worldphone? boo! need my phones to be worldphone since i travel out of the country for months at a time each year.

that's why i decided to just wait 'til my upgrade later on this year instead of paying for the evo out of my pocket. who knows....maybe my upgrade will be for a wp7?

sonysw 06-23-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojary (Post 1832782)
nice sum up OP. my bro-in-law bought the evo and he said that battery life did suck. he had to buy an aftermarket back-up. and im in the same boat as you regarding the $$$ going out in buying/owning the evo....and not a worldphone? boo! need my phones to be worldphone since i travel out of the country for months at a time each year.

that's why i decided to just wait 'til my upgrade later on this year instead of paying for the evo out of my pocket. who knows....maybe my upgrade will be for a wp7?

I probably will try iphone4 next or hope android custom rom to get better. I just hate ATT service with iphone. I wish verizon or others GSM carry iphone. Again for the price I paid for sero $30. I will not complain......

blackangst 06-23-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonysw (Post 1832828)
I probably will try iphone4 next or hope android custom rom to get better. I just hate ATT service with iphone. I wish verizon or others GSM carry iphone. Again for the price I paid for sero $30. I will not complain......

Nice writeup, and although I could bear the size, the other reasons you mentioned especially being a SERO customer are why Im not switching. And in your writeup you forgot the price of the phone in your difference...comes close to $1100 over two years. The EVO is nice, not $1100 nice.

sonysw 06-23-2010 05:56 PM

I agree. It almost $1100 with the unit itself. Not mentioning HTC does not hold in value after 2 years. This is not like iphone that you can still sell it at ebay for reasonable price. The only thing with TP2 is that you have to get stable rom that you can live with it. When I was with 6.1 OEM it seems I am quite happy with it though it is boring but 6.5 OEM really make me nuts.....in term of stability of the phone. Custom rom MR helps and I am sure other ROMs too that suitable for you. That is my 2 cents.