PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 03:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: sprint tp2
Carrier: sprint

only1penny is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
to evo or not to evo?

i know the evo is the now device and the hardware is great but what is the benefit of android over winmo. i have a tpro2 that's flashed and hot rodded out. i really want the evo to be way better but don't think it is. i was at the store today playing with them side by side and i couldn't see any advantages. besides hardware of course, it is a beast of a phone. the screen is great. but that's where it ends. ya, i know the front camera, 8mp. but i took a few pics of the same thing with both. unless i'm gonna blow the pics up, not much different. one thing i really do like is the flash. i miss that from the tpro1. otherwise i can't see it. i don't watch movies or tv on my phone. sense has what 5 or 7 home screens? right now i'm on nrg's latest & with tf3d2 & there's like 12 home screens. plus, with the cookie add on there's enough "widgets" to go around. i guess i'm asking you to talk me into the evo. or confirm my skepticism. really appreciate it if take the time.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:49 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G Baby!!!
Carrier: SprintPCS

D\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: to evo or not to evo?

I skimmed through you post and roughly what I got is you are in the same situation I was in... Being a WinMo user for years, I knew for sure that my TP2 had everything that I expected in a phone (until I got the EVO). I was concerned that I wouldn't have the same functionality that I have come to expect from WinMo.

The EVo has Surplassed anything I ever expected from my TP2 by a long shot!!!

After having the EVO for a couple of day I told my self there's no turning back!!! No way, no how!!! ANDROID is my new Phone OS of choice. Take Sprint's 30 day challange. Trust me, after 2 days your mind will be made up...

GET THE EVO!!! LOL!!!

~Best of luck on your decision~
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Another former Tp2 user chiming in....

I certainly do miss the extreme customization of WinMo, I certainly don't miss the hardware or certain parts of the OS.

If we were comparing 10 things between Android and WinMO, Android would win 8/10. And the most exciting thing is Google is committed to making Android better. WinMo is stale and dead except for the community.

There are some things I miss about WinMO, but overall Android is hands down better OS, and the EVO is mind boggling good device.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:07 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc incredible
Carrier: big red

quest7 is a n00b

I was also a tp2 users and still like the phone. And I held out too, not being totally sure. But I tried the 30 day test, AND like they said; Android os is my new OS. For me, it just works right out the box. No lag, freezing, batt pull, nothing. Speed and web browser is great. Apps store good and getting better. I no longer think about the next great phone, im happy. AND I dont miss the tp2 kb as much as I thought either. Try it...

Last edited by quest7; 06-12-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

O.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1penny View Post
i know the evo is the now device and the hardware is great but what is the benefit of android over winmo. i have a tpro2 that's flashed and hot rodded out. i really want the evo to be way better but don't think it is. i was at the store today playing with them side by side and i couldn't see any advantages. besides hardware of course, it is a beast of a phone. the screen is great. but that's where it ends. ya, i know the front camera, 8mp. but i took a few pics of the same thing with both. unless i'm gonna blow the pics up, not much different. one thing i really do like is the flash. i miss that from the tpro1. otherwise i can't see it. i don't watch movies or tv on my phone. sense has what 5 or 7 home screens? right now i'm on nrg's latest & with tf3d2 & there's like 12 home screens. plus, with the cookie add on there's enough "widgets" to go around. i guess i'm asking you to talk me into the evo. or confirm my skepticism. really appreciate it if take the time.
I'm in the same quandary as you. Quite happy with my current handset and the price I would have to pay in terms of upgrade to my service agreement as well as the $10 surcharge for 4g which is not even available in my area makes me very hesitant. I use internet on my phone only occasionally, don't watch movies, and rarely take a picture. I do listen to music and audio books, but what is the EVO really gonna do for me there? Google Maps, Bing, YouTube, FaceBook, etc.? Got them now and nice to have in a pinch, but again I only use these occasionally.

At this point my next phone will probably be Android-based, but I don't have a compelling reason to do it now. Maybe in a year when the next new gotta have it phone is out and the EVO doesn't have all the surcharges associated with it, I'll get it then.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:15 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4g

adamw79 is just getting started

Android does out of the box what you would spend hours modding and hacking a TP2 to do.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: sprint tp2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

only1penny is a n00b

i appreciate all the input. i have decided that an upgrade is in the near future, but now every time i get on one of these sites i hear about 3 new phones coming out....chase the rabbit, chase the rabbit, chase the.....
Old 06-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

jdmm72 is a n00b

I went from TP2 to Samsung Moment on 2.1. I love the responsiveness of the phone compared to WinMo. I have had to pull the battery a few times in android (every time due to Sprint TV)
Old 06-13-2010, 05:03 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1penny View Post
i appreciate all the input. i have decided that an upgrade is in the near future, but now every time i get on one of these sites i hear about 3 new phones coming out....chase the rabbit, chase the rabbit, chase the.....
dont hurt to wait and see what wp7 is going to be all about. i had lots of issues with my evo and just wasnt ready to go through all that again like my tp2 which is now nearly perfect so i game my girl the evo and using my upgrade on wp7 when it drops.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

xopher8713 is a n00b

I have 2 android phones at the moment and love both of them I looked at my friends touch pro 2 and found that most of the stuff that I like on that phone are due to HTCs touch sense which is also on both of my phones and also my friend with the tp2 just upgraded to the evo 4g after messing around with my hero (did our upgrades at the same time). In my opinion windows mobile is starting to slack in certain areas like the fact that it took us a couple of hours and a lot of searching to figure out how to sync contacts with windows 7. They did not integrate that into the software and it took some hacking. I think that if you were to upgrade to the evo 4g you would not be disappointed at all. Worst case you buy the phone hate it and use the 30 day return policy. As far as the $10 fee even if you don't have 4g coverage in your area its still worth it because from my understanding Sprint has a 5gb cap on their data plans and paying the extra $10 makes it truly unlimited. But its up to you I say go for it.
All on Sprint The Now Network

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison