PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Phone Comparison (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   My personal opinion: Droid vs. Incredible (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=120588)

tvandyck7 05-09-2010 03:01 AM

My personal opinion: Droid vs. Incredible

I went to the VZW store today and played with the Incredible for a while. It's an awesome device with many great features. That being said...
I don't think that it's that much,if any, better than a rooted and OC'd Droid. Of course it is very similar like all Android devices.

Some of the pros:
1.) Sense is nice
2.) It's a very lightweight phone
3.) It's attractive.
4.) The trackpad is cool.
5.) It has several HTC unique features/apps.
6.) It's super fast out of the box.

Some of the cons:
1.) The camera did't cut it for me. It is pretty much a remake of the iPhone camera. The pics turned out washed out (worse than the Droid when compared side by side but might be due to the screen).
2.) The screen is not as vibrant as the Droid.
3.) The phone feels very plasticy and doesn't feel durable. It almost feels hollow.
4.) The glass screen already had scratches on it when the Droid sitting next to it was still scratch-free and has been there much longer.
5.) The lack of a physical keyboard is a bummer. I don't use mine much but I quickly realized how valuable it is (for ex: typing this post).
6.) The lack of a physical camera button with focus sucks.
7.) The charger port was already very loose and floppy.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an awesome device, but I'm not sure it is a MotoDroid killer (knowing what the MotoDroid is capable of after root). Stock vs. Stock, the Incredible definitely has it beat. The camera, screen, and build of the device are a bit dissappointing to me. Preference of features would rule in a decision between the two. I'll put it this way... I'm not going to go out and pay full retail to get one to replace my Droid. It would actually be a hard decision if I were in the position to choose between them with an upgrade. Just my .02.

davidetkin511 05-09-2010 09:23 AM

Re: My personal opinion: Droid vs. Incredible

Thanks! Great Comparison!
android in general blows wm and the tp2 away
IMO the droid kills the incredible. I dont like sense. I need a keyboard. and sense phones will not get updates right away. The droid and nexus one will be the ONLY phone to get full flash and the first phones to get android 2.2
And with rooting the possibilities are endless. roms and overclocking. the incredible is not match for the droid :evil4: :evil4: [-( [-( [-(

the only thing i dont like about the droid is that stupid people dont understand it:

person 1: OH YOU HAVE THE DROID
me: YA BUT ITS ROOTED, OVERCLOCKED AND I HAVE A CUSTOM ROM ON IT
person 1: UUUUMM....WHAT!!!!?????
me: I DID SOME SIMPLE "HACKS" TO MAKE IT FASTER AND TO MAKE IT LOOK NICER
person 1: OHHH I GET IT! CAN YOU DO THAT TO MY RAZR???

uggggggggg whats wrong with people

Dmordarski 05-09-2010 03:25 PM

The incredible is what the eris should have Been

phoenix316 05-09-2010 04:56 PM

Just from touching a phone in a store does not really allow you to make a valid comparison.

The camera on the Incredible is much, much better than the Droid's, especially in low light.

I owned the Droid for 2 months and have owned the Incredible from launch date.

I gave my Droid to my wife cause she needed a new phone and I wanted the incredible.

The Incredible Pros:
Lighter
Faster (than no OCed Droid)
More social networking integration (I don't use it, but other people may find it useful)
Much better camera (especially in low light)
2.1 with Live Wallpapers out of the box
Sense has some cool features such as a lot of information at the lock screen
The HTC keyboard works great with multi touch in landscape mode
Better multi touch

Cons:
Not rooted yet (will be done soon, hopefully, but may not be able to run unsigned ROMS.
No keyboard (i never used the physical keyboard, so didn't matter to me)

The incredible will be a much better phone than the Droid if the community gets behind it, otherwise the Droid will always be a better phone.

tvandyck7 05-10-2010 12:53 AM

That's what I was getting at. Support and development make all the difference. I just don't see a big enough benefit to drop my Droid and spend $600 on it full retail. And not having a keyboard is a bigger issue than I figured it would be. I'm in no way knocking the Incredible. I'm just used to running a custom rom at 1.2ghz. Stock for stock, there's no comparison, the Incredible wins.

breakmyfootoff 05-10-2010 06:53 PM

Id say you guys are correct. Right now, the Droid is the better phone, but only because of the modifications available for it. If you're the type of person that doesnt want to root your phone then the incredible would be a better choice. I really dont care for HTC's Sense UI though, I believe it can be turned off on the phone but you still wont get updates as soon as a phone that doesnt have Sense on it. Right now I still prefer the MotoDroid over the Incredible, but that will most likely change if they OC that bad boy to 2GHz and put out some nice custom ROMs.

tvandyck7 05-10-2010 08:08 PM

I was reading that battery life was already an issue because folks are already trying to use Imagio and other HTC batteries to get more/better life. 2 ghz would be amazing, but I bet it would eat batteries for lunch. It might even catch on fire. LOL

banden 05-10-2010 08:17 PM

I was very impressed with the Incredible. The touch aspect of the touch screen was far better; more precise and the multi touch was WAY smoother. Go to a store open up a browser on both phones and try the pinch zoom. It's crazy the difference. Also the onscreen keyboard is much easier to type on than the droid because of the multi touch and the accuracy.

I definately use my Droid for playing NESoid and Gameboid so the keyboard is a must have for those... mind you the new app in the market that allows you to connect a WII-mote for gaming is beyond epic, but I don't want to carry a wiimote with me everywhere so... still not enough.

The incredible's size is nice, smaller. And it is lightweight without feeling cheap; although if you're used to the weight of the droid it's an adjustment.

- I want to wait and see how people report on the physical wear and tear.
- I want to see what the development community churns out once a custom recovery is installed.
- I want to see what kind of development community forms around it... the Moto Droid has a pretty big following.

So I would say that if the Droid Incredible gets rooted and rom'd and seems to hold up well to normal wear and tear, I'll buy one in the next month or so.

tvandyck7 05-10-2010 10:00 PM

Yeah. For some reason the Wii mote apparently doesn't work with sense. I'm sure they'll get around it.

ukyfan 05-11-2010 12:07 PM

My wife just bought a new Droid for me and the Incredible for her (FedEX should deliver sometime today), and one of the reasons she got the Incredible was for the camera. She loves the idea of just using her phone as a camera so she doesn't always have to carry around another thing around. Of you guys who actually have what is the picture quality like?