PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro
Carrier: Mobifone

camapghe is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS question

We all know that GPS is a big headache for many Treo Pro user. I have some noob questions as below:

- I tried to install Google Map, enable Use GPS function, told the program to use Port COM 4 for GPS interfacing with internal GPS. Even enable aGPS function by changing registry.

- Then, in Google Map, I got a message like "Seeking GPS satellites (406715716)..." and just that all, nothing more happen. I guess the number inside bracket means my Treo was really trying to communicate with some satellite, wasn't it?

- I'm staying in APAC region, and tried to use some local GPS products (Tom Tom alike) but it always tell me the signal is weak, even outdoor. Is that the software bugs, or is there some way to boost up GPS signal for the fone?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: treo pro
Carrier: sprint

josefismael is a n00b
Re: GPS question

Unfortunately its a known issue with the Treo Pro, my friend

Next time you're out in an open area, turn on google maps and wait AT LEAST 5 minutes. If you still don't see a GPS signal then you may have a faulty radio. You might be able to check with whoever you bought the phone from to see if they'll help you out, but that's a BIIIIIG YMMV.

Other people have had luck with an application called "Quick GPS", but it hasn't helped me any. It sounds stupid but usually I just fire up google maps a minute or 2 before know I'll need it

Hopefully someone MUCH smarter than me will have a better answer for you (and me)

Best of luck....
jm
Old 11-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

jesusprice is a n00b

that sucks google maps works fine it can easily find my location via gps
Old 11-26-2009, 05:51 PM
V.I.P
Pocket PC: 3VO for me, EVO for wife
Carrier: on the Now Network™ from Sprint®

00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I don't have any issues with GPS on my Treo Pro either.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

davidck65 is becoming a great contributor

I have had no problems with GPS either. Neither on the stock Sprint ROM or currently on MatBee 6.5 ROM - 5.2.21857. I am currently running Garmin Mobile XT, TomTom 7, iGO 8, BackCountry Navigator, TrackyPro, GPS Tuner, Bing, Google Maps, Sprint navigator, QuickGPS. With QuickGPS my acquisition time is 5-10 seconds. To avoid any priming issues I just fire up and then close either Bing or Google prior to using any of the others. In all of these I set the GPS to com4 at 9600 baud. The only issue I have is that Garmin is not very smooth, jerky movement on the screen - otherwise all of the others work perfectly.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

camapghe is a n00b

As conclusion, I feel this thing is very much like a lottery game. Some got no problem with GPS, and the other (including me) had it.

Thanks to davidck65 for the info, I'll try Matbee 6.5 ROM to see how it works. If the problem still exist, then it's a hardware defect.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

davidck65 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by camapghe View Post
As conclusion, I feel this thing is very much like a lottery game. Some got no problem with GPS, and the other (including me) had it.

Thanks to davidck65 for the info, I'll try Matbee 6.5 ROM to see how it works. If the problem still exist, then it's a hardware defect.
Have you checked to see that your location service is also turned on? I have seen where this can cause GPS issues if it is turned off. Go to Settings>Personal>Phone and on the Services tab highligh Location Setting and click on Get Settings. Also make sure in Settings>System>External GPS on the Programs tab set to COM4, on the Hardware tab set GPS hardware port to NONE and baud rate to 9600, and on the Access tab Manage GPS Automatically should be checked. My GPS programs are set as follows:

Google Maps: Managed by Windows
Bing: GPS Intermediate Drive
TomTom 7: Built-in GPS Reciever
iGO 8: GPS enabled, Port = 4, Buad Rate = 9600
GPS Tuner: Port = COM4, Buad Rate = 9600
Tracky Pro: Port=COM4, Buad Rate =9600
same for Backcountry Explorer and Street Atlas Handheld.

Hope this helps and that it is not a defective unit.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:47 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

camapghe is a n00b

Very strange ... My phone doesn't have Location Setting in Service tab. I'm currently using the stripped 6.1 ROM. I'll try to update to 6.5, then re-check and update the situation soon.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro

AsItLies is just getting started

Using the oem 6.1 rom and google maps works great. It's set to be managed 'by windows', and just acquired 8 satellites in less then 10 secs, and that's indoors.

Don't think I've ever set a specific com port anywhere... ??
Old 11-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

camapghe is a n00b

Anyone who have a OEM 6.1 ROM please send me so that I can test the GPS. Thanks in advance.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro