PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

davidck65 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Help!! Locking up

I had some Sprite stuff in my main memory Temp folder. Deleted it all, reset and then ran Google Maps. GPS locked on right away but again after 45-60 seconds it lost GPS signal and now the GPS hardware is not to be found.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidck65 View Post
and now the GPS hardware is not to be found.
even after uninstalling, runnin memmaid again, and reinstalling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by denada777 View Post
which version of what?
stock rom version
Old 11-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: treo pro
Carrier: alltel
Threadstarter

denada777 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeegcpp View Post

stock rom version
says:
CE OS 5.2.20765 (BUILD 20765.1.4.4)
Old 11-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: treo pro
Carrier: alltel
Threadstarter

denada777 is a n00b

So you other guys that are having this same problem...are you guys alltel/verizon too?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Lurker
Carrier: Alltel

mpreece is a n00b

Yep, Alltel/Verizon. As of 2 weeks ago. (Not by choice!)
Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeegcpp View Post

stock rom version
1 - Yes

2 - Sprint Treo Pro with stock 1.04
Old 11-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Lurker

awms1212 is a n00b

I think it is a Radio issue
Old 11-01-2009, 10:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I have done a hard reset to Sprint stock 1.04 rom with the same problems. Also, hard reset and several different Sprite backups from 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month and 2 months ago individually with the same problems. Leads me to believe it is in no way a software issue. I would assume it to be hardware except that it has happened to so many different people all within the past 2-3 days - too much of a coincidence for me considering people report being on different carriers also. So, what's left in common? Either hardware or something wrong on the satellite end?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Lurker
Carrier: Alltel

mpreece is a n00b

GOOD NEWS - BAD NEWS

EDIT: Based on further testing, it looks like "normal" GPS functionality may return on or about Nov. 8, if this is indeed a "date" issue. I was able to maintain operations with the airplane mode on and a manual date entry AFTER November 7. Firmware issue, perhaps?

==============================================

I have continued to fiddle with my CDMA Trea Pro (Alltel/Verizon) and have a probable workaround for this problem. It still needs to be tested for longevity (i.e., how long it works and/or is required) and it results in some loss of functionality in the phone although GPS is restored. THERE ARE NO REGISTRY TWEAKS NOR HARDWARE MODIFICATIONS REQUIRED. See if this works for you, too.

This may not be practical to do, but maybe someone out there will take the knowledge to come up with a real solution.

This is not strictly speaking, a hardware problem. It may/may not be a network problem.

BE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR PHONE BEFORE DOING THIS, just as a safety precaution.

The procedure I used to get the GPS working reliably again (and not timing out after a few seconds):

1. Go into settings and change the device date to October 1, 2009. (I did this for test purposes. Presumably, any date prior to the last part of last week would work.) I suspect, therefore, there is a date-sensitivity causing the problem.

2. TURN OFF the option for "get network time." This will prevent the network from updating your date/time on the device.

3. Go into AIRPLANE MODE. (Turn off the phone and data connections. Yes, GPS will still work!)

4. Soft reset.

5. Open your GPS software. Google Maps or something that requires a network feedback for maps, etc., will not work. I used GPS Test (freeware) for this. It will take many minutes for you to get a successful data lock, but you will eventually get one. Keep in mind, the device has no idea what the real time is. It literally has to hunt for all the satellites.

6. Once you have a 3D lock, you can exit AIRPLANE MODE. Your date on the device will continue to show the altered date, but once connected to the network you can go ahead and open Google Maps, etc.

7. During my tests, I then went in and corrected the date to where it should be, but DO NOT re-enable the network time check.

With this procedure, I was able to open 3 different active GPS applications at the same time and they all worked fine for at least several minutes. I did not try running them at length, because I felt the finding was important enough to get it out here on the forum so someone way smarter than me can take the ball and run with it to find a permanent solution.

A couple questions that came to mind were if there is a specific date that "killed" the operation, which could be discovered by trial and error. Also, if there is a specific future date where the problem will disappear (again, trial and error).

I hope this "solution" helps to come up with something permanent and that is much more acceptable.

Last edited by mpreece; 11-02-2009 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Further testing
Old 11-02-2009, 01:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Can anyone try to verify what I have found? First soft reset, then turn off the cellular radio by holding the button on the top of the phone next to the ringer switch. Then use a GPS program such as Garmin XT that does not require an internet connection. I found that with the radio off I could connect with a GPS signal consisently and quickly with TomTom 7, IGo8, GPS Tuner, TrackyPro, Delorme Street Atlas Handheld, BackCountry Navigator, and Garmin Mobile XT. I tried each one successively twice and locked on to GPS without any reboots or issues. As soon as I soft reset and turned on the cellular radio I was able to lock on with Bing but before I could try another program my phone reset on its own. This happened twice. This would appear to be some sort of network issue since with the radio turned off - not connected to the network - GPS works.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro