PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

terra_angel is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone coming from Touch Pro

Hi! I'm new here and hubby and I are trying to find the perfect phones. Hubby currently has a Touch Pro that I've been able to play with but I'm not sure about the thickness of it and he complains that it lags and locks up a lot. Now, he is not a techie and hasn't tried to use any fixes or tweaks but I'm planning on trying some for him. But we were looking at the Treo Pro. I realize it's no longer new but it's on the phones we can switch to without having to upgrade to an Everything plan. Anyway, has anyone who had a Touch Pro switched to the Treo Pro? Why? Thoughts/ comparisons? Any help I could get would be great! Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Treo Pro, Palm Pre
Carrier: Bell

acidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to acidhax
Re: Anyone coming from Touch Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra_angel View Post
Hi! I'm new here and hubby and I are trying to find the perfect phones. Hubby currently has a Touch Pro that I've been able to play with but I'm not sure about the thickness of it and he complains that it lags and locks up a lot. Now, he is not a techie and hasn't tried to use any fixes or tweaks but I'm planning on trying some for him. But we were looking at the Treo Pro. I realize it's no longer new but it's on the phones we can switch to without having to upgrade to an Everything plan. Anyway, has anyone who had a Touch Pro switched to the Treo Pro? Why? Thoughts/ comparisons? Any help I could get would be great! Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Although I'm not a Touch Pro user, some gripes for me would include the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack, whether you want to flip the phone sideways and slide the keyboard out to type... Things like that.. Although the Touch Pro has TouchFlo3D -- With WM6.5, do we really need it?

The Touch Pro DOES have a tendency to have some keyboard-wobble, since it is a slider.

Anyways, here's a good link: http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sma...o_pro_and.html

The Treo Pro CPU is listed wrong, it is actually 528mhz.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney

Also you will want to look here :

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ight=touch+pro

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020923.gif http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020658.gif
Old 09-29-2009, 03:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

fakeguy is a n00b

I came from a touch pro and I'm happy. The Touch Pro broke like every week. Me and my friends have been through at least 8 of them since May. I hardly miss the VGA screen and flashing the latest ROM (Ill try later once the re-locking instructions come out). At least my keyboard still works.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

I cam from a Touch Pro, then a Diamond, and now here and I am happy with the choice. I do miss the bigger screen, but other then that I am very happy. You always have 30 days to return it don't you? If so try it and if you don't like it get something else
Old 10-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

GreekCapri is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to GreekCapri

I came from a Touch Pro to the Treo Pro. I LOVE the Treo Pro, the battery life on it far out does the Touch Pro. You can do all the same customizations on the Treo Pro that you can on the Touch Pro, I myself have ran both the touch flo that the Touch pro has and windows 6.5 on the Treo and it worked fabulously. I would DEF say go with the Treo
Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC One

kaossyphany is just getting started

I came from a mogul all in all the Treo is a decent phone, my biggest complaint is how the screen size interferes with numerous programs working correctly. I am however going to switch to a TP although I like the size of the Treo better, because of the screen size issues. I will say it can be convenient to have that keyboard on the front though.

If by some miracle I actual help you, please don't forget to thank me!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Cricket

chrisjh18 is just getting started

The Treo Pro is possibly the best choice I've ever made.

As an earlier poster said the Touch Pro is prone to breaking quite frequently. I only had 4 of them myself but out of those 3 the screen went out on 2 and the keyboard went out on the other.

It got on my nerves. I'm not saying the Touch Pro isn't a good phone, it is. Huge screen, great keyboard (that CTRL key was awesome) and just an all around amazing device.

Battery life was a terrible problem though. My first 2 months with one the phone would only last 4 hours on a full charge (I am a power user though). I ended up buying a 3600mah extended battery for it which allowed my phone to go 12 hours with heavy, constant use. It made the phone HUGE though. It was like I was carrying a 6700 again lol.

The Treo Pro just 'works'. No need to continiously flash roms or anything like that. The keyboard on the front of the device is very useful. Like earlier posters I'm just a little bit annoyed by the screen size, but that's not that big of an issue after a while. The battery life is also tremendously better on here. I get a good 8 hours out of it.

Idk what else to say really. I probably sound like an Apple fanboy right about now. LOVE THIS PHONE. Wouldn't mind trying a Touch Pro 2 or Diamond 2 though.

Just my two cents
Old 10-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touchpro

mwrob is a n00b

I tried the Touch Pro but returned it before my 30 days was up. Then got an 800W which has peen replaced by the Treo Pro.

I timed myself on some tasks and could do everything faster on the Treo. Battery life is better, I love the 3.5mm jack, and the alarm works properly. The alarm on the Touch Pro was always an adventure for me. I do miss the larger screen though.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:55 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

I went from a 6800 (Mogul) to a Touch Pro, to a Treo Pro, back to the Touch Pro, back to the Treo Pro, and now to a Touch Pro 2.

I love the from factor of the Treo Pro -thickness, weight, feel in the hands, etc. You can't beat it IMO. It's a beautiful device!

I really did like the idea of a forward facing keyboard, but for me, and I'm not fat fingered even, I just had problems typing. My biggest problem seemed to be that the space bar was just slightly more raised than the other keys and I constantly hit it instead of the actual keys I was aiming for around it. Perhaps that was just my device??? I hated the keyboard on my TP, possibly because of the way the keys were not offset, no real spacing, etc. I absolutely love the keys on the TP2 though. Best out there, again IMO. But it's a slider and you have to know which you're going to want or be able to live with.

My real gripe was the screen size on the Treo Pro. Perhaps if I hadn't come from a 640x480 VGA TP I might not have been concerned with the 320x320 SQVGA on the Treo so much, but it just wasn't the same having used the TP. I also had issue with certain programs / games not playing well with a square screen (320x320 instead of the traditional 240x320). The screen on the TP2 is better than the TP, so enough said about that!

Reading your original post though I don't think the form factor of the TP or TP2 is going to work for you. They are, as you noted, considerably bigger than the Treo Pro, length and definitely thickness.

If you're okay with the screen on the Treo Pro then I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's an awesome ond-handed device too with the extra hard buttons.

Good luck with which ever way you go.

Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro