PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

mocheesehead is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Noob wifi question

Hello All,

Brand new WM Treo Pro user. I think I have everything setup and ready to go, but I am having a question with my wifi. First off, I do *not* have a data plan as I really just need the phone and the pda, but wifi was a added bonus!

So...I am trying to login to my work's (a university) wifi. There are two settings BC-secure and BC-unsecure (both come up as "available"). The unsecure is setup is so anybody can get in and get on. I just got on with my laptop and ipod touch...no problems. I try to login and it says "connecting" then changes back to "available"...so I can't get on.

Now I try the secure. Again, it says "available" and I go through and confirm all of the settings (one of the campus IT guys is a buddy of mine) and it proceeds to try and connect. Now usually on my laptop and ipod, it prompts me for a username and password, which then gets me onto the network. I don't get any such prompt from my Treo Pro. But, as soon as it is done trying to connect, I am shown it is "available" again.

Yes, wifi is turned on!

If have not tried to login at home yet, but seriously *anybody* can login through the unsecure setting! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Treo Pro, Palm Pre
Carrier: Bell

acidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to acidhax
Re: Noob wifi question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocheesehead View Post
Hello All,

Brand new WM Treo Pro user. I think I have everything setup and ready to go, but I am having a question with my wifi. First off, I do *not* have a data plan as I really just need the phone and the pda, but wifi was a added bonus!

So...I am trying to login to my work's (a university) wifi. There are two settings BC-secure and BC-unsecure (both come up as "available"). The unsecure is setup is so anybody can get in and get on. I just got on with my laptop and ipod touch...no problems. I try to login and it says "connecting" then changes back to "available"...so I can't get on.

Now I try the secure. Again, it says "available" and I go through and confirm all of the settings (one of the campus IT guys is a buddy of mine) and it proceeds to try and connect. Now usually on my laptop and ipod, it prompts me for a username and password, which then gets me onto the network. I don't get any such prompt from my Treo Pro. But, as soon as it is done trying to connect, I am shown it is "available" again.

Yes, wifi is turned on!

If have not tried to login at home yet, but seriously *anybody* can login through the unsecure setting! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
By any chance, are you turning the screen off? With this phone, if you 'lock it', it will turn off the wi-fi connection... could this be your issue? Or does it just not ever work?
Old 09-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

mocheesehead is a n00b

Thanks for the reply acid!

I don't think that is happening...I just spent an hour on the phone with Palm, I think it is a hardware issue and they are going to send me another phone...I just have to wait 24 bloody hours for my registration to clear...grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

If though anybody has any thing else to try, I am all ears!

Thanks again!
Old 11-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Treo Pro
Carrier: Telcel

estar guars is a n00b

I have the same issue, the phone does not ask for the password and it shows the same on the screen.I try to connect in my work to the secure wi-fi (hotel), I check as well with the IT personal and they couldn't do it either.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro