PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Treo Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Comprehensive Treo Pro Free Software/Hacks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=75329)

brianlp518 07-19-2009 07:20 PM

Comprehensive Treo Pro Free Software/Hacks

Here is what I have added to my Treo Pro and feel that it is a nice start to any new TP user. Unfortunately, things are WAYYYY too spread out over multiple forums, so I have tried to make things easier by linking everything together. You may need to sign up for accounts at PPC Geeks, TreoCentral.com, xda-developers.com, and others.

eBag's RealVGA (Ref):
  1. Install Mortscript.
  2. Install Smartphone2003Testcert.cab (This must be installed first.)
  3. Install Ebag RealVGA.cab
  4. Install Install Ebag RealVGA 96DPI Resource Pack.cab Alt 1 Alt 2
  5. Replace battery indicator w/ sound icon (Ref). Place file in \windows via AciveSync. Delete file and soft reset to remove.
  6. Install Batti 2.4 (Ref 1 Ref 2) or ArielBattery 2.1 (Ref)
Cody's PPC Hacks (Ref):
  1. Battery and Preformance Hack = changes "powermanagement" settings in the registry. saves battery life a little.
  2. IE6 Downgrade = make PIE like it use to be on older devices.
  3. Wireless Today Plugin removal = removes that pesky plugin from the today screen
  4. Wireless Today Plugin Controller = alows you to control the plugin like all the other plugins
  5. Date and Time in Title Bar = puts the date in the title bar over the time. (Doesn't work well with realVGA so I don't use this.)
  6. Force Roaming = Forces Roaming. An option left out lately
  7. Ebag WM AlarmNotification Hotfix = Fixes the alarm so it will work.
  8. Push Side Button = allows you to asign the side button to a "Press" and not just press and hold. I set mine to WMP.
Palm Ringer Update (Ref) - The root cause of the Treo Pro No Ringer issue is related to a rare corruption of the Treo Pro’s registry key. This can lead to the smart phone not ringing and causing the user to miss an incoming call. This update corrects the registry if it finds it is corrupted and helps prevent further registry corruption.

Pocket Digital Clock(Alt 1) (Ref) - Who can't use a giant clock on their Today Screen (similar to HTC Touch).

nueNullKB (Ref) or NullKB (Ref) + SIPChange_2 (Ref) - Get rid of those annoying on-screen keyboard popups, even after a soft reset.

QuickGPS (Ref 1 Ref 2) - QuickGPS downloads current orbital satellite locations from the Internet, helping the GPS get its initial (cold) lock faster.

tnyynt SD TuneUP (Ref) - Make access to your SD card up to 3x faster.

QuickMenu 2.8.414 (Ref 1 Ref 2 Ref 3 Ref 4) - QuickMenu is a(nother) Task Manager, but has a neat Start Menu.

WkTask 1.2.0.2 (Ref 1 Ref 2) - VERY nice task manager (desktop-like taskbar). Swipe motions for Today and quicklaunch.

rk-SMSSwitch 1.0.4 (Ref 1 Ref 2) - Forward your IMAP/POP3 to your Sprint phone via text message (your phone number@messaging.sprintpcs.com). This program will intercept the text message and auto send/receive that account in pOutlook. Really only works with one e-mail account. Beware if you receive web text alerts as this program intercepts/deletes any incoming texts from an e-mail address sender. I use this with my Gmail account and set the Pocket Outlook scheduler at manual. Can be binded with rk-OSR (see Ref 2) to auto-send receive all accounts (if you have multiple forwarding), but there was too much of a battery drain for me send/receive all three e-mail accounts I have every time I had one e-mail from one account.

Opera 9.7b1 (Ref) - Mobile browser I use 90% of the time.

Skyfire (Ref) - Supports Flash which comes in handy.

Google Maps (Ref) - Determine your current location with or without GPS. Get driving and transit directions. Get phone numbers and addresses for local businesses.

PHM Registry Editor (Ref) - Simple and free registry editor.

Funky 320x320 Treo Pro wallpapers (Ref) - Nice 320x320 wallpapers. Using Vector Abstract.

Handmark Pocket Express - As much as I hate this program, it has the best Today Screen stock app; and I've tried them ALL. Use it for weather and news on Today as well.

Other paid applications I have installed that work with RealVGA:
  1. Garmin Mobile XT - Works okay. Bottom 1/4" of screen and speed limits cut off.
  2. CorePlayer Mobile - Better full screen video over WMP.
  3. Omega 1-Calc - Best calculator for WinMo. Period.
  4. PDANet 2.0 - Using it for my internet connection right now. Not blazing fast, but functional. You can also use this free work around: PAM Work-Around for Sprint Treo Pro
:angry7: The boys over at ppcwarez.org think it's a good idea to share the above software for free, but in no way do I condone this behavior. :angry7:

I have tried to link, reference, and give credit where credit is due. Please donate to the appropriate developers to keep the software flowing! Please PM me if I have linked your hack/software/etc. without giving credit so I can fix it/take it down.

Also let me know if there are things I should add to my list!

budney 07-19-2009 09:00 PM

Re: Comprehensive Treo Pro Free Software/Hacks

Nice work, even though a good portion of it can be found in the stickies already. :)

The WMP skin didn't work for me. Dose it need RealVGA?

brianlp518 07-19-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budney (Post 1046160)
Nice work, even though a good portion of it can be found in the stickies already. :)

The WMP skin didn't work for me. Dose it need RealVGA?

Yeah, I found the sticky after I posted, but I think what I've put together will help quite a few n00bs or people who have just hard-resetted right off the bat.

I'm using realVGA, so I couldn't tell you. Did it not detect or not load? If it's the latter, did you go to WMP >> Options >> Skins >> Wait 5 seconds >> click Next?

budney 07-19-2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianlp518 (Post 1046174)
Yeah, I found the sticky after I posted, but I think what I've put together will help quite a few n00bs or people who have just hard-resetted right off the bat.

I'm using realVGA, so I couldn't tell you. Did it not detect or not load? If it's the latter, did you go to WMP >> Options >> Skins >> Wait 5 seconds >> click Next?

WMP did not detect the skin in the options menu after its search. I even moved the skin files to the WMP program folder where the default skin is located.

info[]box1 07-19-2009 09:32 PM

what are the benefits of real VGA vs the normal stock QVGA screen..?

brianlp518 07-19-2009 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by budney (Post 1046192)
WMP did not detect the skin in the options menu after its search. I even moved the skin files to the WMP program folder where the default skin is located.

Actually, I think I may have linked the one that never worked for me! Attached is the version I have (not sure of the source, but will update the OP)

brianlp518 07-19-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by info[]box1 (Post 1046220)
what are the benefits of real VGA vs the normal stock QVGA screen..?

If you check the (Ref) next to RealVGA, it is thoroughly discussed. You get more working space, although everything is smaller. Instead of pixels being stretched/shrunk (from QVGA 320x240), they are at their native resolution. This means cleaner font rendering, better video display, etc. I tried using both for about a week (stock 128dpi and realVGA 96dpi) and I would never go back.

You can try it, if you don't like it, it's easily removable (be sure to change it back to 128dpi before uninstalling).

budney 07-20-2009 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianlp518 (Post 1046230)
Actually, I think I may have linked the one that never worked for me! Attached is the version I have (not sure of the source, but will update the OP)

Still did not work. Must be compatible only with RealVGA.

iLLa 07-20-2009 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
mccune did a great job on realvga. one cab only. its over on xda.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=443385&page=4

or you can just dl the attachment.

i think you should also add tethering hacks. ive seen a few dif ones.

brianlp518 07-21-2009 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iLLa (Post 1048483)
mccune did a great job on realvga. one cab only. its over on xda.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=443385&page=4

or you can just dl the attachment.

i think you should also add tethering hacks. ive seen a few dif ones.

Thanks for the addition... Not sure if this is all-inclusive... Would you still need to download the http://forum.xda-developers.com/images/attach/cab.gif DK96dpiResPack.cab (1.28 MB) or http://forum.xda-developers.com/images/attach/cab.gif sdkcerts.cab (4.6 KB) from the OP of your XDA link? The file you uploaded is only 676 KB. It would be great if it were only one file. Once confirmed, I will edit my OP.

As for the tethering hacks, most of the programs are paid. Personally I prefer PDANet. The new version 2.0 allows you to receive calls while tethered, which I think is a great feature. Any free ones that are comparable that I should add to my post? TIA.