PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Treo Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Treo Pro and WM 6.5 ? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73609)

lowspeed 07-03-2009 09:18 AM

Treo Pro and WM 6.5 ?

Are we going to get an update ?

--

chong67 07-03-2009 09:37 AM

Re: Treo Pro and WM 6.5 ?

I read somewhere that the hardware will not be able to handle it.

PedroDaGr8 07-03-2009 01:54 PM

Who ever said that is lying. Windows Mobile 6.5 runs PERFECT on an HTC Touch and I think I have seen it on the Mogul as well. Your phone will EASILY handle it. Now will Palm or HTC pay Microsoft the cost to upgrade? Not likely. So unless you get someone who will unlock your phone (HardSPL or Cokeman Unlocker etc.) to allow custom ROMs, you are not likely to see WM6.5 on your phone.

lowspeed 07-03-2009 01:56 PM

Wait... i thought the principle was if the phone was released with 6.0 you would be eligible for 6.1 and and so on...

PedroDaGr8 07-04-2009 12:53 PM

I know that phones that run WM6.5 are REQUIRED to have a start key. This means my HTC Touch will never have official support (no problems I am VERY happy with the unofficial versions that are out right now). You guys on the other hand DO have the start button, but time will tell if you guys end up getting an official 6.5 rom or not.

shailigum 07-05-2009 03:36 AM

The treo pro meets the minimum requirements for 6.5 and considering the hardware start key it should be eligible for an upgrade to 6.5 eventually, the only question is whether or not Palm will choose to continue to support Treo Pro customers considering their release of WebOS.
Windows Mobile 6.5 is a different operating system than Windows Mobile 6 or 6.1 even though its technically only an incremental update, so that means there will be a different licencing policy for 6.5 than for previous versions.
Even though the Treo Pro can handle it that does not mean it will receive it, the HTC Touch and Mogul both have it because they have both been unlocked/cracked, so their lower stature has no impact on whether or not the Treo Pro will get 6.5, but considering how well it does run on the Mogul/Touch (although there are many different factors to take into account), hypothetically speaking it should run just fine on the Treo Pro as well.
I just hope either we get an official 6.5 release or HardSPL.

chong67 07-07-2009 03:05 PM

I think WM 6.1 is free right? Why not 6.5 is free?

thacounty 07-07-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chong67 (Post 1020149)
I think WM 6.1 is free right? Why not 6.5 is free?

Not free, comes with purchase of phone. Someone is paying for this! It is probably Sprint or your service provider I would say.

polobreaka 07-08-2009 01:10 AM

i have wm 6.5 running on my mogul and i feel like the treo pro do not need wm6.5. wm6.5 is very finger friendly and it works best for phones with no keyboard or slide keyboards. even though wm6.5 is nice interface and all but with treo pro, we have the 5way to navigate around and the front exposed keyboard use as shortcuts is a lot quicker than just using your fingers to swipe around on this little screen. just my opinion.

shailigum 07-08-2009 01:11 PM

Agreed. Honestly, I don't even see a great need for Treo Pro roms. It would be great to see, but either way its very very stable. Probably the most stable Windows Mobile phone i've ever owned. 6.5 would be nice to have and probably look pretty good, but most of the advancements from 6.1 are for touchscreen devices and I don't know about you guys but I dont use the touchscreen as much as the hardware buttons..the Treo isn't really a 'touch phone' if you know what I mean.