PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Treo Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Fix for Sprint Treo Pro missing calls (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69719)

Malatesta 05-25-2009 08:27 PM

Fix for Sprint Treo Pro missing calls

[By zbop; Originally posted at TreoCentral]

Description of Problem:

The Sprint Treo Pro will sometimes send calls directly to voicemail in areas of low signal even though you are able to place outgoing calls from the same location just fine. In this instance, your phone will NOT ring and you will NOT get an incoming call notification. The cause of this problem is that the parameters that defines the receiver gain offsets are set too low by default.

Note: this should not be confused with the silent ringer problem which is a known issue with SPB products such as SPB Mobile Shell or SPB Phone Suite, see this thread for details and a solution to that problem.

Solution:

The solution is to bump these values up and allow incoming calls to go through despite a low signal. This may not fix all your reception issues, but if you are on the fringe of reception, it should make your phone useable again. Even though several people have tested this hack without any side-effects, there are always risks involved, so use your own judgement. If you aren't having problems with missed calls, I'd suggest leaving well enough alone.

Tools Needed:That's an intimidating list I know, but it's really much simpler than the list might imply.

To apply the hack:
  • Install QPST.
  • Connect your phone to your PC, make sure you have a good connection.
  • On your phone, go into the dialpad and dial ##DIAG# (##3424#).
  • You should see a program named DMR v2.31 running that shows Port, Handle, Tx, Rx
  • You should be prompted for several (three) hardware installs. All three times point the installer to the location where you placed beezlewaxin's 800w Diagnostic Driver.
  • Once installed, run QPST Configuration.
  • Click Add New Port...
  • Here you will see a list of comm ports. Don't worry about most of these, the one we want is labeled USB/QC Diagnostic. If you see more than one, that's okay, just add all of them (I had two).
  • One of the comm ports will list a phone. Mine displayed SURF7500A. Simply make a mental note of the comm port number for this one.
  • From the QPST tools, launch QPST Service Programming. (Warning: This is an incredibly powerful tool, and it has the capabilities to completely brick your phone, rendering it useless. If you do not know what something does, don't touch it!)
  • Make sure that your phone is selected, and click OK.
  • Click the Read from Phone button. This is where you will enter your MSL/SPC code.
  • If you were able to successfully read your service programming values from your phone, you're ready for the next step.
  • From QPST tools, launch RV NV Item Manager. Click File -> Read From Phone. If that doesn't work, you can try Setting -> Comport and select the same port you used in QPST.
  • Next, back up your original settings which you just read. Do this by clicking File -> Write Only Listed NV Items to QCN and give it a filename when prompted to save the settings.
  • Now, there should be 4 values in NVRAM for gain offset, mine were originally:
    NV_C0_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 1980
    NV_C1_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 2660
    NV_C0_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 2222
    NV_C1_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 2911
    (your values will be slightly different, don't worry about that)

Change these values to:
    NV_C0_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 3229
    NV_C1_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 3362
    NV_C0_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 3074
    NV_C1_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 3326
  • After you've edited those values, select File -> Write Changed Items to Phone.
  • Then do a File -> Read From Phone, and go back and verify the modified values are still there and are set correctly.
  • Disconnect your phone and Soft-reset.
Disclaimer:

This hack is provided for use at your own risk. Exercise caution and use your own judgement. The hack can be undone by restoring you original values or via a ##RTN#.

Credits:

Malatesta, Ebag333, Beezlewaxin, Baffles

jswizzle 06-12-2009 09:59 AM

Re: Fix for Sprint Treo Pro missing calls

I haven't had this phone long enough to make some good benchmarks for my low signal issue, what kind of difference could I expect to see from this mod? If there are too many factors to really nail it down I understand but maybe other users experiences could help.

JonAllen816 07-14-2009 03:49 PM

Can anyone verify that this actually works? because this happens to me quite often (in downtown Boston) and I dont want to eff my phone up with this hack if its benefits are marginal at best... thanks in advance.

iLLa 07-19-2009 01:37 PM

this is a good *** post.

skeegcpp 07-19-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iLLa (Post 1045582)
this is a good *** post.

ur post

or this thread??? :scratch:

lol..j/p

brianlp518 07-19-2009 08:33 PM

I believe Palm released an all-encompassing update here:

TreoProRingerUpdate.CAB (2MB cab file)

You can check out the palm website for more info:

http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/com...e/4335_en.html

petrafan007 09-24-2009 11:05 AM

This does not work with windows 6.5 installed. any workaround? ##3424# does not work.

avd 10-11-2009 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrafan007 (Post 1190242)
This does not work with windows 6.5 installed. any workaround? ##3424# does not work.

sorry for the thread resurrection but try ##3424 instead, it works for me in 6.5.1 (no trailing '#')

easyinstall 10-23-2009 10:21 AM

Sorry for the noob ? but is
.NET Compact Framework 3.5

(alot of what cfay has fixed in his release 6.5 1.54)
the same one that you can dL of mr softys website released on 1/3/2008?
or is there a updated 3.5 that someone can point me to?

kaossyphany 10-23-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianlp518 (Post 1046109)
I believe Palm released an all-encompassing update here:

TreoProRingerUpdate.CAB (2MB cab file)

You can check out the palm website for more info:

http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/com...e/4335_en.html

Thanks!