PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Treo Po
Carrier: Sprint

garlic is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Sprint's Treo Pro Tethering/Use as modem

Hi all...this is my first post.

Got a major decision to make: I am on Sprint's SERO plan. I bought an 800w the other day off of Craigslist (to avoid the 2-year agreement) and now I am noticing that I often hear static on my end during calls. So now I am ready to bite the bullet and put out $200 for the Treo Pro but I am extremely concerned that I will not be able to use the phone as a modem. I am quite happy with the tethering ability on the 800w (after I got it to work by deleting one of the registry values).

I just saw someone else's post about a program, wmwifirouter, that accomplishes the tethering wirelessly. Anyone here that can vouch for this? I don't mean to doubt that person...just want to make sure it will work, and that it will work on SPRINT's Treo Pro.

If you have them, please post links or instructions on how to enable tethering for Sprint's Treo Pro! Thanks!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace
Pocket PC: Lumia 635
Carrier: T-Mobile

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to CyberMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to CyberMonkey
Re: Sprint's Treo Pro Tethering/Use as modem

These threads should help you out, all found in this section of the site:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=61292

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=58681

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=61671
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

garlic is a n00b
Um...legal?

Thanks CyberMonkey... but I am kind of confused about the whole is-it-legal-to-tether debate. My 800w came with a little brochure called "Experience SprintSpeed," in which one section is called "Phone as Modem," and it shows you how to use the Internet Sharing application, which comes pre-installed on the phone to - and I quote from the brochure - "Use your device's SprintSpeed rated data connection as a modem for your computer." Is this DIFFERENT from tethering? I thought they were the same thing. If they're the same thing, what's the problem? It seems like Sprint WANTS us to our phones (well, the 800w at the least) as modems.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff
Re: Um...legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlic View Post
Thanks CyberMonkey... but I am kind of confused about the whole is-it-legal-to-tether debate. My 800w came with a little brochure called "Experience SprintSpeed," in which one section is called "Phone as Modem," and it shows you how to use the Internet Sharing application, which comes pre-installed on the phone to - and I quote from the brochure - "Use your device's SprintSpeed rated data connection as a modem for your computer." Is this DIFFERENT from tethering? I thought they were the same thing. If they're the same thing, what's the problem? It seems like Sprint WANTS us to our phones (well, the 800w at the least) as modems.
It is the same thing....but if you talk to most people they will say "Sprint will turn off your service if you don't have the 'Phone as Modem' added to you plan"...while other will tell you "As long as you don't abuse it, like HEAVY transfer amounts, like DLing large 2 gig files all the time, it's all cool".

Me personally, I don't have the phone as modem plan, and the only time I use my phone as a modem is if there is something I need to use my PC to check on the net for something and the cable internet goes out for some reason.....I don't use it often or much transfer amounts, and my service has never been turned off......
Old 04-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

garlic is a n00b

So, "phone as modem" is a separate thing from "vision data"? ugh....
Old 04-13-2009, 08:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC

onetwothree is just getting started

Yes, "phone as modem" is a add on that you can get for like 30 bucks or so, I dont remember what the charge is, you need this on top of the power vision you already have. While using your power vision data that you pay 15 or less depending on what deal you got from sprint you can hack or use wmwifirouter to log in into the internet with out getting the "phone as modem" add on. In other words, using the hack or wmwifirouter goes around paying for the added on feature.

Last edited by onetwothree; 04-13-2009 at 08:19 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Tour/ Treo Pro

integra144 is a n00b

Can someone explain how wmwifirouter, works? My computer has Wireless Lan; why do I need this?

I looked online, and couldn't wife.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra144 View Post
Can someone explain how wmwifirouter, works? My computer has Wireless Lan; why do I need this?

I looked online, and couldn't wife.
In simple terms: it turns your phone into a wireless router.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

temperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stufftemperamentalman knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to temperamentalman Send a message via MSN to temperamentalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMonkey View Post
In simple terms: it turns your phone into a wireless router.
WMWiFiRouter works great. Instead of connecting to your standard router, your phone becomes the router, sharing your internet connection with (I think) up to 4 devices.

Download the trial and check it out.

By request, I have added a "donations" link. If you like my work please donate! It's not expected, but it is appreciated!

or, simply hit "Thanks"
Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

But you dont want to turn wireless on for a long period of time. It will burn up your phone.

For long period, I use the USB.

All in all, its far superior to PDAnet.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro