PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Lurker

ksmithinny is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Treo Pro reception issues

All,

My work purchased me the Treo Pro from Sprint about 2 weeks ago. Since that time i have missed 2 calls (that i know of) without the phone even ringing and dropped 3. The reception (radio) on this thing is laughable.

(all of the below is typical reception at my house) I have a BB Curve for my personal phone which gets about 3 to 4 bars of EVDO and have never dropped or missed a call. My girlfriend has the Samsung Rant which gets about 4 bars of EVDO and again has never missed or dropped a call. We just disconnected an LG Rumor (she upgraded to the rant) and that consistantly received 5 bars of 1XRTT and never dropped or missed a call. I also own a Sprint Sierra Wireless broadband card which gets a respectable 3 bars of EVDO. After all of that, my Treo Pro gets typically 0 bars of reception, has missed 2 calls without ringing and has dropped 3 calls.

I called Sprint CS and without hesistation they shipped me the Airave free of charge and also are providing free monthly Femtocell service. While on the phone the CS rep also mentioned "I have heard a lot of complaints about the radio in that phone".

The Airave is an "ok" solution. It will provide me with a decent 1XRTT coverage but not EVDO and only at my house. The Airave doesnt fix when im in the office, or out walking around. And besides that, to me its like putting a band-aid on a gaping wound.

What I am asking from this community is does anyone have any suggestion (mods/tweaks/hacks) to improve radio reception on this phone? I don't want to get too crazy because this is, afterall, a company phone, but i also dont want to constantly worry if my phone is getting the reception all my other Sprint phones are.

Also, before anyone suggests its a problem with my specific handset, please read the other threads from other Treo Pro users about this same exact topic on other forums. This is not an isolated problem.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Lord Bricks is just getting started
Re: Treo Pro reception issues

do the sci and accolc "hacks".. my treo pro holds a better signal at my office where my lg lotus had absolutely no service. i have had no issues at all missing calls or having calls drop on me...
Old 04-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace
Pocket PC: Lumia 635
Carrier: T-Mobile

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to CyberMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to CyberMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bricks View Post
do the sci and accolc "hacks".. my treo pro holds a better signal at my office where my lg lotus had absolutely no service. i have had no issues at all missing calls or having calls drop on me...
I know how to the the SCI "hack" (just haven't done it yet), but the ACCOLCL "hack", what's the procedure for that?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ksmithinny is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMonkey View Post
I know how to the the SCI "hack" (just haven't done it yet), but the ACCOLCL "hack", what's the procedure for that?
information for both can be found at http://www.howardforums.com/printthread.php?t=1484010

My only problem is this is a company phone so i cant call Sprint and get my MSL. Only the manager on mobile telecommunications can access the account.

Pocketputty.net is not working and i dont feel like reading 1,000 pages to figure out how GetSPC works.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmithinny View Post
information for both can be found at http://www.howardforums.com/printthread.php?t=1484010

My only problem is this is a company phone so i cant call Sprint and get my MSL. Only the manager on mobile telecommunications can access the account.

Pocketputty.net is not working and i dont feel like reading 1,000 pages to figure out how GetSPC works.
I have an MSL grabber that should work. It's free, I will post the cab here when I get home from work.
It worked on the Touch Pro, but it should work on any WinMo device, I haven't tried it on the Treo Pro, but next smoke break I take I will test it (I have the cab file on my mem card).......
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ksmithinny is a n00b

Quote:
I have an MSL grabber that should work. It's free, I will post the cab here when I get home from work.
It worked on the Touch Pro, but it should work on any WinMo device, I haven't tried it on the Treo Pro, but next smoke break I take I will test it (I have the cab file on my mem card).......
That would be awesome!!! I got GetSPC to work but the MSL it gives me is obviously not correct because it wont let me into the edit screen.

I will be eagerly awaiting your post of the .cab. I will be sure to give thanks when its posted.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ksmithinny is a n00b

After reading CyberMonkey's post (thanks man) i did some research and found a nice way of getting my MSL on my Treo PRO that actually worked. Keep in mind i have tried EVERY OTHER SOLUTION POSTED ON THE NET BEFORE THIS!!!

1. Download and install the version of .net posted here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=43560 in post #5
2. Download and install BAF MSL grabber http://www.baf.cc/bafmsl
3. Put your phone into airplane mode
4. Soft reset your phone
5. Run BAF MSL Grabber

Viola!!! i FINALLY got my MSL. Hopefully the SCI and ACCOLCL changes i make will improve my situation.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmithinny View Post
After reading CyberMonkey's post (thanks man) i did some research and found a nice way of getting my MSL on my Treo PRO that actually worked. Keep in mind i have tried EVERY OTHER SOLUTION POSTED ON THE NET BEFORE THIS!!!

1. Download and install the version of .net posted here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=43560 in post #5
2. Download and install BAF MSL grabber http://www.baf.cc/bafmsl
3. Put your phone into airplane mode
4. Soft reset your phone

Edit by Big D5: Removed cab file
5. Run BAF MSL Grabber

Viola!!! i FINALLY got my MSL. Hopefully the SCI and ACCOLCL changes i make will improve my situation.
I just run BAFMSLGrabber, and it puts the phone in airplane mode automatically and I never had to reset it....

Last edited by Big D5; 05-22-2009 at 07:05 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ksmithinny is a n00b

Quote:
I just run BAFMSLGrabber, and it puts the phone in airplane mode automatically and I never had to reset it....
Yeah i saw some people saying that it ran no problem, i unfortunately, am one of the ones that had a hell of a time getting it to run.

My first error was a .net error which was corrected with the .net file BAF posted.

Once i got that error to go away i got another error "waiting on MSL please contact BAF to report this error". After reading a thread on it someone said they had luck putting the phone into airplane mode, soft resetting, then running the MSL grabber. I tried those steps and it finally worked.

FYI - My whole intention of getting the MSL was so i could change sci and accolc to help with my reception issues. Well obviously neither would really help with reception BUT i do feel like my signal strength indicator is more honest now. My Airave arrived today while i was at work (the girlfriend called to rub it in my face it arrived!!) now tomorrow morning i get the pleasure of setting that up.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D
Carrier: Sprint

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

Quote:
the author doesn't want the attachment posted, on his site, http://www.baf.cc/bafmsl he requests not to post the cab anywhere 'sides his site..

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro