PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Lurker

BushmasterSOH is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
need advice

Ok, I would love to get some input on this. I currently have Alltel in rural NE Ohio. I am not sure about the whole merger thing, but am ready for a new phone. I also have one phone still in contract, so there is no switching at the time, not to mention I like the plans and pricing. I am totally new to smartphones and really think I’d like one. I currently have a Razor v3c and get reception with it everywhere I need and that is very important. The biggest need for the phone besides the voice calls is a great calendar and to do lists. I saw someones that had reminders on the home screen. Although it was nice and would be used, I’m not sure it’s needed. It will also be used for text messages and web to kill time working midnights. I get a lot of animated or picture like texts. Email is not a necessity, but am sure I’ll use it from time to time. Sync with pc is not a necessity as I don’t keep a calendar on there. Editing documents is also not a necessity. I doubt it’ll be used for music, but maybe an occasional video and tv on the web. I am sure the videos eats the battery, so what do I have to sacrifice? I have heard about apps available for phones and sure I will venture there too to play around, A LOT. I will have lots of time to play with it. It will be on almost 24/7 (used for alarm clock too), so stability is very important. I understand computers, but am far from an expert, so if there are technical things that may need done, I’m ok with it as long as I can find the answer ok with step by step instruction. I have heard a couple pros and cons for both Windows Mobile as well as BB OS. I just know I need it to work without issues/crashes. I have no experience with either system. I also have no experience with either qwerty or virtual keyboard, but think I’d like a qwerty.

From what I see at Alltel, I have three to choose from: Blackberry Curve 8330, HTC Touch Pro, and Palm Treo Pro. Any suggestion, pros and cons to them?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace
Pocket PC: Lumia 635
Carrier: T-Mobile

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to CyberMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to CyberMonkey
Re: need advice

Not sure about the Blackberry, but I have both the Touch Pro and the Treo Pro.

I like them both actually. I am currently trying to decide which one to keep and which one to sell/give to a friend.

Alll PDA phones will do pretty it all. My Best suggestion is to either find somebody that has each and ask them if you can "play around with it", get a feel for it and stuff. Or go to a store (SPrint, Verizon, AllTell etc...) and play around with the working models on display.

Play around with each, get a feel for each one and decide which one appeals to you more.

Some of the things I like about the Touch Pro: TF3D - I actually like it. THe slide out keyboad is pretty complete and easy to use. It's a bit bigger screen than the Treo Pro. Option to use the on screen kaypad for one handed txting.

Some things I like about the Treo Pro: it's very slim and sleek. Battery life seems to be better so far. the keyboad is right there, no rotating it and can still be used for one handed txting. The physical switch to put it in vibrate only mode or sound ringers.

...see there are things that I like about each one, but that does not mean you will like those some items.....best to play with each one and get a feel for each one.

Last edited by CyberMonkey; 04-07-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

BushmasterSOH is a n00b

I am kinda looking for any other owners/users of all to comment please. I see in some profiles of people that own all, but they have not yet responded.

The whole email push, mp3, editing documents are not big deals to me.
Primarily a phone (w/ good reception), calendar (2nd most important), text message, and toy. Meaning that I will kill dead time at work surfing and playing with applications.
I do not want it to be freezing up on me and from what I read Touch Pro will have that problem as well as it's short battery life. Is the freezing up a Touch or WinMo issue? I can deal with the Touch battery issue, I will be in a car where I can charge it most of the time.

I am still torn between the three: Treo Pro, Touch Pro, BB 8330

Remember, I am a first time smartphone owner and do not want to be dissappointed or totally frustrated.
Thanks for your help!
Old 04-10-2009, 03:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

crashjack is keeping up the good workcrashjack is keeping up the good work

well, i dont know if im the best person to give u advice on which to choose as i am a blackberry hater :P their GUI is just so clustered and there isnt much personalization. also just changing ur ringtone on a BB is like pulling teeth, as well as ur ringer volume. they dont have a touch screen so u have to rely on that stupid ball for everything and half the time it doesnt register the roll. the ball is also white, but i see so many ppl with them and the ball quickly get dirty n turns brown n black. looks pretty nasty. Neway, enough BB hating. as for the Treo Pro and Touch pro, its just a matter of size in my opinion. the Touch Pro is bigger and bulkier, but you get the larger screen, G-Sensor, and there r a whole lot more ROMs and personalization tweaks already out there. the Treo Pro is my personal choice because it is smaller and fits better in my pocket. i also like not having to open the phone every time i wanna send a txt or email, and one-handed txting is easier. the Treo just needs more time to build popularity. there have been quite a few ppl dump their Touch Pro for the Treo Pro and r happier. hope this helps ya
Old 04-11-2009, 12:06 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Palm Treo Pro

shailigum is just getting started

personally I don't like blackberrys...the interface is definately cluttered and I think trackballs are incredibly aggravating.
Windows mobile is great, and you can even customize it be alot easier to use than a BB, the possibilities really are endless with it..
I had the touch pro, im currently moving over to a treo pro instead, just cause I prefer the form factor.
If you have to pick between the two, the touch pro is more powerful (2x more ram) but i've heard that the treo pro seems to be alot more stable.
For media the touch pro is great..you get a decently large VGA screen and the video quality is incredible.
I had alot of problems with my touch pro though..the keyboard wasn't very reliable (lots of lag) and I've had it replaced twice so far but the same issues keep coming up, though not everybody seems to encounter them.
If you're into the whole touch screen thing, go for the touch pro, it's probably (im my opinion) the best touch screen WinMo phone out there. If hardware buttons and overall stability is more important to you though, the treo is probably a better pick, if you don't mind giving up the extra screen size and higher resolution you get with the touch pro.
A friend of mine visited the UK recently and picked up a Sony Xperia X1 which is literally flawless and beats the touch pro all around, but its gsm only so it won't work with alltell..
Old 04-11-2009, 12:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro2/ blackberry bold
Carrier: sprint & at & t

idenkilla is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to idenkilla

So I loved my HTC touch pro a lot that for my upgrade that I ordered a new one. But if you read about the touch pro issues, its ridiculous. The keyboard stops working after some time, and there is a issue with the screen where a rain oil slick looking circle develops and the screen becomes useless. So I am considering the treo pro, I'm actually going to the sprint store tomorrow to exchange, I still have an extra touch pro if I want to use it.

At this point im fed up with the issues on the touch pro.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace
Pocket PC: Lumia 635
Carrier: T-Mobile

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to CyberMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to CyberMonkey

Blackberries are really not bad devices, but me personally I am not too fond of them. My personally feeling about them is that they are more fore the business environment.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

Business environment? I do more with the Touch Pro than my co-workers with BBs.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: The Now Network

rafyrod is keeping up the good workrafyrod is keeping up the good workrafyrod is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to rafyrod

well all 3 are good phone..

for business (email) blackberry is the best on that department
for business and verything else touch pro is the way to go but the battery life is what kill the touch pro in some aspect but everything else the pro is the killer
and treo pro i cant comment on that one cuz i havent seen one yet...

but is all matter of preference best choice is to go to the store and play with them a lil bit and which one you like... hope it help
Old 05-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: treo 800w
Carrier: sprint

player300x4 is a n00b

i had the touch pro for like 3 weeks not a bad phone but the battery life was horrid would last like 6 hours after i did the battery tweaks so i sold it and bought a treo pro great phone battery lasts all day have had it for about 6 weeks now and know issues. go with the treo pro or wait for the pre to come out mid june
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro