PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 01:52 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: palm treo pro

rosebud is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question restoring back up from XDA

Hi everyone, I have just got a Palm Treo Pro, loving all this can do, yet I need to restore all my sms and stuff from my old phone to this one. My old ppc was an XDA 2, now that has xbackup and the Palm has sprite backup, i have put on the xda sprite backup version 3.2.0, build 2487, however cannot seem to load up this backup file which is an exe. onto the palm... any ideas would be most appreciated, am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for listening.

Regards
Rose.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
Re: restoring back up from XDA

A few questions: Is xbackup a PC app or a windows mobile app? I did a quick search and it looks like its a pc app that you use to sync with your phone. Was there a problem with using to sync with the Treo Pro?

So you installed Sprite Backup on your XDA device and did a back up, then tried to restore that back up on the Treo Pro, correct? Depending on what you backed up from your XDA I don't think that will work. If you only tried to back up and restore SMS, contacts, and emails then I would think it should work. But I'm pretty sure you can't restore installed apps or system files because they're different devices.

One more thing, did you try restoring the back up on the Treo Pro from within Sprint Backup or did you just trying running the back up?
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Dashwire?
http://dashwire.com/
Old 02-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

rosebud is a n00b

Dear Dannzeman,

thank you for replying, I really appreciate that. The only help my other half offered was to state there are many sites online to help. He's always bothered that I know about technology as much, if not more than he does, however back to the problem I am wishing to learn to solve.

On the Treo it comes with Sprite backup, so having made a back up of my xda using the 'xbackup', I believed it would be as simple as opening sprite on the Treo and restoring, however it's not that simple is it? They are two totally different programs.

I then installed a Sprite backup for the XDA and backed up again using this backup, that gave me a file which is a exe. file and put it on the sd card. I then put this card into the Treo and opened the Sprite backup on the Treo, when I went restore, the Treo states looking for all backups and finds nothing. I then used file explorer to access the file directly of the card and so far so good.

It opens the exe file and gives the option to restore from several points. I know obviously I dont want to restore any apps or hard stuff from the 5 year old XDA, just the sms and contacts, so I select the following two choices: mail/messages & personal databases, and nothing else.

I then hit restore and the following comes up on the Treo: The backup file was not made on this device or operating system. Restoring from the file may cause significant problems. I then hit 'yes', it then asks 'do I wish to enable Device Upgrade mode?' Not sure what that refers to, so hit I hit 'no'.

So far so good, it takes me to start restore, I hit start and then get 'An unexpected error has occured. Operation failed'. and then have to 'ok' to soft-reset the device.

So that's where I am, lost. There is a small tiny image of the xda on the back up screen, as in from sd card to phone, does this mean it thinks it should be restoring to an xda and not a Treo? What can I do?

Best and thanks.
Rose.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

rosebud is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
Thanks, however I cannot see an XDA 2 on there available XDA'S
Old 02-05-2009, 02:43 AM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
Thanks, however I cannot see an XDA 2 on there available XDA'S
i'd try it anyways...it's pretty WM-generic and even if the graphics are wonky, the data should be saved/stored properly.

ya got nothing to lose really
Old 02-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I love root

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

So you only want to back up SMS, email, contacts, and calendar it sounds like. I use an Exchange server so I've never had a problem with switching between WinMo devices or restoring after a hard reset. I also have never cared to backup sms so that doesn't bother me either. I doubt my situation really helps you.

I would suggest searching for pim backup, or sms backup, or contacts backup. Worst case cenario - you may just have to use several pieces of software to transfer your sms, another for your email, ect.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:52 AM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207

install SPB Backup on your old phone then do a full backup. *make sure in options you uncheck "Stop Procees in the Background".

Load SPB Bakup onto you new phone. Take the memroy card from the old phone (where the backup file should be) and put it in the new phone. Now use SPB Backup to restore. Use "Custom Backup". Uncheck everything but "Email & Text & PIM Data" (make sure you scrool down and uncheck 'system data") then restore. All contacts, email and text will be restored

Old 02-11-2009, 11:15 AM
I love root

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun0207 View Post
install SPB Backup on your old phone then do a full backup. *make sure in options you uncheck "Stop Procees in the Background".

Load SPB Bakup onto you new phone. Take the memroy card from the old phone (where the backup file should be) and put it in the new phone. Now use SPB Backup to restore. Use "Custom Backup". Uncheck everything but "Email & Text & PIM Data" (make sure you scrool down and uncheck 'system data") then restore. All contacts, email and text will be restored
She already tried that with Sprite Backup. Why would SPB provide any different results? (I'm genuinely asking, not try to be a smarta$$)
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro