PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 04:42 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Palm Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Epichero is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint's data scam work around?

I have unlimited picture mail, but Sprint is charging me for Internet access. I'm guessing that they measure the amount of data that is sent across port 80 on my phone. The problem is that sometimes accessing picture mail requires me to use the Internet, or does so without my consent.

So the sprint customer "care" representative said I should avoid opening links on my phone, but getting an sms with a picture embedded is no problem and wont run up my phone bill.

I'm thinking that a work around would be to uninstall Internet Explorer or anything else that uses port 80 on my phone.

Any opinions on this?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
Re: Sprint's data scam work around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epichero View Post
I have unlimited picture mail, but Sprint is charging me for Internet access. I'm guessing that they measure the amount of data that is sent across port 80 on my phone. The problem is that sometimes accessing picture mail requires me to use the Internet, or does so without my consent.

So the sprint customer "care" representative said I should avoid opening links on my phone, but getting an sms with a picture embedded is no problem and wont run up my phone bill.

I'm thinking that a work around would be to uninstall Internet Explorer or anything else that uses port 80 on my phone.

Any opinions on this?
from my experianance ie is a core part of the winmo os!! i have tryed to build rom with out it and they worked but other programs didnt work well!!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:09 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Epichero is a n00b

If IE can't be removed, is there any way to block port 80 or prevent them from charging me extra?
Old 04-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Treo Pro, Palm Pre
Carrier: Bell

acidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuffacidhax knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to acidhax

Any time you access their MMS web servers for downloading the pic, it is exempt from being counted against on your account.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:30 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Epichero is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidhax View Post
Any time you access their MMS web servers for downloading the pic, it is exempt from being counted against on your account.
Yeah but here's the thing: for some reason, without my knowledge or consent, it somehow registers as a charge. This has happened to me several times already and I have complained to them about it. They lifted to charges once, but now their solution is for me to add a data plan, which I have no use for since browsing the Internet on my phone is inconvenient.

I'm calling it a scam because they seem to be eager to charge their customers with extra fees. And it's like a trap that I inadvertently fall into. They said to avoid clicking a link that would show me a picture but I don't recall ever doing so, so I'm guessing that the only way to be sure is to block port 80 on my phone.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme

i have unlimited data and if i remember correctly unlimited pic mail is part of that plan so why not switch?

TEAM MiK
Member Since 12/30/10
Old 04-17-2010, 03:54 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Epichero is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooxteme View Post
i have unlimited data and if i remember correctly unlimited pic mail is part of that plan so why not switch?
I pay $39.99 + tax for everything I need. I'm not interested in paying more for something that:

1. I don't really need or will use.

2. Should be included with my phone as per Sprint's advertised package that I signed up for.

Epic
Old 04-17-2010, 04:26 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme

well then if you have that on your plan then you need to let them know and I mean LET THEM KNOW!!!!!!! are you opening pics from the internet maybe????
Old 04-17-2010, 05:12 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Epichero is a n00b

I don't remember ever clicking on a link, but I'm certain that internet explorer never opened when I got a picture mail. I'm well aware that they'll charge me for visiting a web page, so I avoid it.

It does dial power vision, but never went through internet explorer.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:09 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Epichero is a n00b

*Update*

I spoke with a Sprint rep today and he said:

"You are not charged for the picture mail you are charged for the Internet usage.If you did not have the picture mail then it would be $0.20 per picture."

So there you have it - a pure example of a scam. Sprint will sell you on a plan that states "Unlimited nationwide, text, picture and video messaging to anyone on any network.(1)" What they don't tell you is that you have to log onto their Internet first and get charged up the ass.

I just had them completely disable the Internet on my phone.

-Epic

1. "Everything Messaging." Accessed Aprily 19th, 2010.
http://shop.sprint.com/en/stores/pop...ct_popup.shtml
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro