PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 11:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

btrcp2000 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wife's first PDA- STABILITY STABILITY STABILITY!!

I have a touch pro and three other ppc's before that, so I am well aware of the pros and cons of these things. My wife on the other hand, currently has a LG Rumor, which not being winmo, doesn't ever freeze or act stupid. She has agreed to try out an 800w to support my latest geek project, calendar syncing with funambol/scheduleworld/etc. Sprint disables the syncing ability of non-pdas, but we're on sero so not going anywhere. Only choice is WM.

So to my question, what tweaks would 800w users suggest to keep things running as smoothly as possible? She will not likely use it for much more than the built in pda features and email/texting, so no need for fancy browsers/today plugins/etc. I am working on gmail imap, and have already seen it freeze once, but that may have just been because I am still massaging things. All my tweaking thus far has been done over wifi, haven't put it on sprint yet.

I have applied the usb/charging fix, and I thought of using memmaid or something to clean things up and reboot it nightly, and might need psshutxp or something in case of a freeze. The first time she has to take the battery out to reset will be the last. My main goal is to get a stable phone/email/calendar device, all ideas welcome!

tia
Old 03-20-2009, 01:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 800w
Carrier: Sprint

SkipJack is keeping up the good workSkipJack is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to SkipJack Send a message via MSN to SkipJack
Re: Wife's first PDA- STABILITY STABILITY STABILITY!!

First thing i can think of is to replace the Palm threaded SMS. I replaced mine with POutlook. It receives texts almost as soon as they are sent, versus having a lag that the Palm OEM one has. You can find it at the following link:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...rs-needed.html

– Dr. Manhattan.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 6800

hippity.hoppity is keeping up the good workhippity.hoppity is keeping up the good work

Swap the 800w for a Treo Pro. Best tweak EVAR.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:24 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippity.hoppity View Post
Swap the 800w for a Treo Pro. Best tweak EVAR.
snap!
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Just activated the 800 tonight, tomorrow will be day one of the geekification of my wife (or a very rocky time for my marriage...)

Thought about the pro, but picked this up at a price I can get back on ebay (from whence it came). If she likes it and the pro has a good first few months, we'll upgrade.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:50 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

cool beans. speaking of the 800w, does anybody know if that usbupdate cab still needed??? TIA
he might need that for starters if Palm hasnt addressed this issue yet
Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yes, I did the usb update. LEarned about it the hard way, it wouldn't charge. I bought this used, so I am sure it is an older hw revision.

I am still married. Biggest complaint so far is whenever a call comes in, the little incoming notification window seems to linger on the bottom half of the screen long after the call is answered/ignored. Hitting the red button to return to today scn, then scrolling all the way down seems to clean it up, but these are the cute little WM idiosyncrasies that will sink me.

Searching for fixes now, any thoughts are welcome...

P.S. battery life sucks, but I knew that going in. I have been sneaking it out of her purse to charge it every night. I'll have to get her in the habit of it.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 800w

Dex4 is a n00b

To help on the battery. Turn off incoming IR and internal GPS. I am running SPB mobile shell and I don't have man problems. Every once in awhile I will do a soft reset. I also use my phone linked to my outlook for business and recieve emails faster than my computer.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w