PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 800w
Carrier: Sprint

treojoew is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Treo 800 hardware hacks

I am looking for a dead Treo 800 to perform surgery on. I am looking into raising the screen or lowering the bevel on the left and right to produce a "flush" screen. I am also going to try and add a 3.5 headphone plug to the side. Once done I will provide photos and how tos' to the community.
PM me if you have one to donate or have already performed work in any of these areas.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:19 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
Re: Treo 800 hardware hacks

Wow, thats quite the undertaking. Have you popped open the case on one or seen the inside? I question whether there's even room to add a 3.5mm. No offense to you but I imagine Palm's engineers are pretty good and stuffed what they could inside the 800w. But if you can do it I'll be the first to send you my phone to have it mod'd.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

treojoew is a n00b

The first step will be to open one and look for space. Right off the bat I am thinking there might be room on the side where the stylus slides in, down at the bottom of the phone. But of course opening one will have to be done... The screen "mod" seems very easy by simply grinding down the bezel on the left and right of the screen. The problem is wht will be exposed and how to cover it but of course it all starts with an autopsy...
Old 01-14-2009, 05:39 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by treojoew View Post
The screen "mod" seems very easy by simply grinding down the bezel on the left and right of the screen.
kwik question, sorry if it seem dumb, but by doing that, that would square the edge, right? Expose more screen, not alot, but more, right?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 AM
I love root

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeegcpp View Post
kwik question, sorry if it seem dumb, but by doing that, that would square the edge, right? Expose more screen, not alot, but more, right?
Yes, probably more of the screen itself but nothing we could actually use. It wouldn't make more pixels visible, it'd just make it flush.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

treojoew is a n00b

Correct. The actual intention of this "hack" would be to simply aid in the ease of use of the Slide them I have and make wiping the screen clean a lot easier. As it is now the corners and edges of the screen are hard to get to and eventually over time the build up in these places could work their way inside the unit and cause problems.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:53 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

Wouldn't grinding down the bezel also void the warranty? I like the idea but not if it would cost me some $$ if I had an issue that would normally be covered under warranty.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

treojoew is a n00b

Of course it would void the warranty! But look at what the finished product could look like...,

Isn't that sweet!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:33 AM
I love root

Quote:
Originally Posted by treojoew View Post
Of course it would void the warranty! But look at what the finished product could look like...,

Isn't that sweet!
Umm....not really, imo
Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
Umm....not really, imo
My thoughts exactely. Sorry.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w