PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 08:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 800w & HTC Snap (wife's)
Carrier: Sprint

DavidIQ is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidIQ
Re: Got phone as modem to work

No...you have to pre-connect. In other words open Internet Explorer and let it connect to the Internet. Once that's done make sure the network drivers for the phone are installed and you're good to go and connect via Internet Sharing. FYI press the connect button in the Internet Sharing program BEFORE you plug in the USB cable or before you connect via bluetooth.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Lurker

jjwang is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidIQ View Post
No...you have to pre-connect. In other words open Internet Explorer and let it connect to the Internet. Once that's done make sure the network drivers for the phone are installed and you're good to go and connect via Internet Sharing. FYI press the connect button in the Internet Sharing program BEFORE you plug in the USB cable or before you connect via bluetooth.
I did both softset (turning phone off and on) and hardset (taking battery off and putting it back in). However, both times, and then pre-conneced with internet explorer, I saw "Power Vision" back in the "ForceCellConnection" setting registry.

I changed "ForceCellConnection" setting a few times, and now I have three lines of "ForceCellConnection" setting with two renamed to old etc, and the new line re-edited to be "Sprint PCS" (in lieu of the "Power Vision")

Is there something else that needs to be done to make the change to "Spring PCS" stick?

I could not install the Internet Sharing FIX.cab file - it seems to be garbled.

Thanks in advance for some advice.

Jay

Last edited by jjwang; 08-10-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

DavidIQ is a n00b

I'm not sure what you're doing. None of what you've listed as doing is in the first post of this topic... ??
Old 08-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Lurker

jjwang is a n00b

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're doing. None of what you've listed as doing is in the first post of this topic... ??
I did the reg edit with PHM RegEdit and took out "Power Vision" and replaced them with "Sprint PCS", as well as removed the IcsHelper.dll entry in the "Extension" line.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\InternetShari ng]
"LastCellConnection"="Sprint PCS"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings]
"ForceCellConnection"="Sprint PCS"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
"Extension"=""

I don't know what else is missing in action.

Jay
Old 08-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Lurker

jjwang is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by carysb7478 View Post
1) D/l & install Resco Explorer. Make sure you get the registry plug-in also. http://www.resco.net/pocketpc/explorer/
2) Using registry editor......HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing
Delete this string: Extension - IcsHelper.dll
3) Start -> Programs -> Internet sharing -> Connect (I'm using USB cable)

Blazing fast...EVDO rev A = the bomb. I am in Gainesville, FL so not a big city at all

Faster than wireless at home
I am still tweaking registry, but every restart of the phone always brought back "Power Vision".

Would you care to point me to the right directioN?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

DavidIQ is a n00b

You're editing a bunch of registry entries that were not listed even in what you've just quoted...do you not see this? You only have to remove 1 entry from the registry and that's it.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Lurker

jjwang is a n00b

Quote:
You're editing a bunch of registry entries that were not listed even in what you've just quoted...do you not see this? You only have to remove 1 entry from the registry and that's it.
You must be referring to the entry about "icshelp.dll".

This one was changed to "BAKicshelp.dll".

The problem is after reset, the "Power Vision" entry came back in >InternetSharing>Settings>ForceCellConnections line.

Was powering off/on the correct way to reset?

I don't see anywhere on the phone to poke to "soft reset".

Thanks.

Jay
Old 08-13-2008, 07:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

bamrock is a n00b

jjwang: I'm not an expert on this by any stretch (seeing as how I just did it) but I followed the directions exactly as they are in the first post. Use a registry editor (I like PHM) and go to HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing and just delete the ONE string that's there (you don't have to bother with renaming it...it doesn't hurt anything by deleting it and you could just type it back in [I only say don't rename it since you're having issues]). Once it's deleted leave your phone alone for a couple minutes and go grab a drink or something. After about 5 minutes come back and soft reset the phone then just continue to follow the directions. I used software to soft reset because I've read on other forums that you can't pull the battery as the reg edits might not take, I've normally never waited 5 minutes or worried about how it soft reset but who knows...I had a spare 5 minutes. Brief summary again
1) Registry Editor...
2) HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing
3) Delete this string: Extension - IcsHelper.dll
4) Wait 5 minutes and grab a Coke
5) Soft-Reset
6) Establish internet connection (open Internet Explorer etc)
7) Plug in USB cable to computer and phone
Start -> Programs -> Internet sharing -> Connect

And that's it. I followed those steps and it worked perfectly. Here's my speedtest (says file's over the limit. blah:
http://thatsballer.com/2008/08/13/fi...one-treo-800w/

The best in tech and everything else!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 800w

smdjent is a n00b

I must be doing something wrong. I followed all the steps in the first post and when I go to internet sharing and connect, it says connected. The problem is, the computer won't connect; it continues to find the page. I am using usb. Other than plugging in the computer to the 800w and opening up Internet Explorer am I supposed to do anything else.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Lurker

jjwang is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamrock View Post
jjwang: I'm not an expert on this by any stretch (seeing as how I just did it) but I followed the directions exactly as they are in the first post. Use a registry editor (I like PHM) and go to HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing and just delete the ONE string that's there (you don't have to bother with renaming it...it doesn't hurt anything by deleting it and you could just type it back in [I only say don't rename it since you're having issues]). Once it's deleted leave your phone alone for a couple minutes and go grab a drink or something. After about 5 minutes come back and soft reset the phone then just continue to follow the directions. I used software to soft reset because I've read on other forums that you can't pull the battery as the reg edits might not take, I've normally never waited 5 minutes or worried about how it soft reset but who knows...I had a spare 5 minutes. Brief summary again
1) Registry Editor...
2) HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing
3) Delete this string: Extension - IcsHelper.dll
4) Wait 5 minutes and grab a Coke
5) Soft-Reset
6) Establish internet connection (open Internet Explorer etc)
7) Plug in USB cable to computer and phone
Start -> Programs -> Internet sharing -> Connect

And that's it. I followed those steps and it worked perfectly. Here's my speedtest (says file's over the limit. blah:
http://thatsballer.com/2008/08/13/fi...one-treo-800w/

Thanks for the reply.

After I cleared the icshelp, then there is a line saying "Default" with no value. In the "settings", I cleared the "ForceCellConnection", and now it is also "Default" with empty value. -This did not help since it came back with "Power Vision". In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
there is an entry "RegPersisted" with value of "1". I removed it, and after bounce, it came up with the entry - this did not help either. I checked >Comm>ConnectionSharing> there is the entry called "DisableOnBoot" with value "1". I changed this value to 0 and then forgot what else I did on the registry data. I changed some things I feel bothersome. Now, after a soft reset, my BLUETOOTH connection succeeded on the PC. Now I am modifying this post using Sprint's "phone as modem" feature - with BLUETOOTH connection.

After so many tries, I could not keep track as to what I did to make it work. Just hope that it will stick this way. To summarize: In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ there is an entry "RegPersisted" with value of "1". I removed it, and after bounce, it came up with the same entry "1". "ForceCellConnection", was auto-changed back to "Power Vision" - So the claim to change to "Sprint PCS" was not valid. "Status", however, was now auto-added back with "Enabled" and value "1". At >Comm>ConnectionSharing> the entry "DisableOnBoot" remained at value "0" which I changed earlier from "1". Hope this will help some other folks with similar issue. Thanks for the information provided on this board.

Jay

Last edited by jjwang; 08-13-2008 at 07:54 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w