PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 03:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

dmc1068 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to dmc1068 Send a message via MSN to dmc1068 Send a message via Yahoo to dmc1068
Re: 800w Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser_osu View Post
Another few quick things. I don't like the stylus.. It's flimsy. I hope a company comes out with a solid pen/stylus soon.

Google Maps won't work with either EVDO or Wifi.. says it can't connect to network.. Live Search works fine...gets GPS lock in about 10 seconds in the house. That's on the first lock. Haven't tried it again yet. I don't have a miniSD card to try other GPS programs

Comes with Sprite Backup. I haven't tested it yet though.

SprintTV works well.

I tried Youtube player and the odd shape screen made working with a little awkward as you have to do a few scrolling to see the buttons to play the file. Otherwise it played the youtube clips fine.

Doesn't have an applications close manager. I'll have to install it. RIght now I have to go into the Running Programs and close the ones that are running.

Phone calls even in my house with bad reception sound good. Like I said, gets better reception than my Mogul.

EVDO Rev A is fast in my house and pages download quicker than my Mogul. Again, could be cause of reception differences.
I got the 800W. I saw that a few people here and at Treonauts had gotten their 800's so I called a few Sprint stores. They all keep telling me that they could not sell it until Sunday. I finally got a store about 15 miles away to say come in and we'll see if the computer accepts it. It did, and I have my 800. Had a few issues with Syncing it. My computer would not recognize it. I spent about 2 hours on the phone with Palm and Sprint. We finally got it. It was as simple as a soft reset. It doesn't seem to have a hard reset. I got everything from my Touch on my 800. Good thing since I have a little over 500 contacts and a whole bunch of stuff on my calendar. All in all, I love it. It is very simple to use, maybe because I had the 700. It is the perfect size. My 700 was too big and the Touch was a little to small. The battery does drain fast, can't wait till an extended comes out. I want to get the same case that I had for my Touch. I bought the only holster/case they had. Don't care for it. I brought it home, put on a screen protector and away we went. It reads my card fine, and I have set all my personal ringtones. Working great so far. I also do not like the plastic stylus and miss the quick end programs function. You have to go to Task Manager to shut them down. It doesn't slow it down and I have unlimited data, but I'd still like to be able to shut them down, so if anyone has suggestions... I also tried the battery app (green battery fix 4 -293) from this site that worked on the touch but won't work on the 800. Google Maps works great for me. I will post again in a few days after I get time to play with it.

Last edited by dmc1068; 07-12-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: ppc6700
Carrier: sprint

hoddy4 is becoming a great contributor

What Web browser is included? Do you find the 320x320 screen to be a plus, negative, or neutral relative to the Mogul?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Send a message via AIM to dmc1068 Send a message via MSN to dmc1068 Send a message via Yahoo to dmc1068

II
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoddy4 View Post
What Web browser is included? Do you find the 320x320 screen to be a plus, negative, or neutral relative to the Mogul?
It came with IE. The screen definition is very good. I did not have a Mogul so I am probably not who you were asking, but I had a Touch and the screen was much bigger, which made the start list longer. Something I will have to get use to. I guess it is the trade off for NEEDING ( I missed my qwerty) full qwerty.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

The new Live Search is awesome with the voice recognition. I used it twice when I upgraded the Touch. Found it by accident and was glad to see the 800 has it.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:38 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro 2

okashira is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc1068 View Post
II
It came with IE. The screen definition is very good. I did not have a Mogul so I am probably not who you were asking, but I had a Touch and the screen was much bigger, which made the start list longer. Something I will have to get use to. I guess it is the trade off for NEEDING ( I missed my qwerty) full qwerty.

the start list is short b/c palm made the start bar and font huge. the 800w has the same vertical resolution as the mogul

hopefully someone will come out with a way to reduce the size of the task bars and reduce the font sizes (like no2chems mogul roms)
Old 07-12-2008, 02:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro 2

okashira is a n00b

800w comes with PIE.

Opera 9.5 (newest build) is mostly unusable on the phone.

it doesnt cover the start bar like on the mogul, so theres a loss of real estate there

when in fullscreen mode, the screen is garbled when zooming in and out
the keyboard doesnt work most of the time (have to use onscreen keyboard)
Old 07-12-2008, 05:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I have absolutely no problems with the browser or address bar. The Touch had an option to change the font, the 800 doesn't plus the screen is not as long. Minor issues because of the full qwerty keyboard that has no problems on mine. I hadn't even tried the onscreen keyboard until just now to make sure it works.

Here are some pics of the Touch, 700P and 800W:

This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

jaggrey is keeping up the good workjaggrey is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to jaggrey

Wow it doesn't seem to be that much bigger than the Touch, surprisingly. Thanks for the great pics, it was just what I was looking for.

I'd like to know more about your transitioning as I have the Touch as well and was considering this phone. What are the lil niggles that you're dealing with in making this transition? Is the screen real estate bothering you much? Did you put the "unofficial official" 6.1 ROM on your Touch, and if so how does it compare to the Treo? Are there any programs that look funny or don't work on the phone so far because of the screen res?
Old 07-13-2008, 04:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I have had no real issues except for the map program that comes with the 800 is not as nice as Google Maps, so I installed that. The screen is the same size as the 700. Much better quality though. So it was not hard getting use to it again. I had A Palm before and now WM so it looks different and acts different. Yes I installed the 6.1 on the Touch and was happy with it. I almost didn't upgrade to the 800 because of it, I do feel it is an upgrade. The 800 is much faster and more stable in my opinion.So far no issues other than battery life. It is getting about the same as my touch with the extended battery. I can't wait for the extended to come out for the 800, and a case. I don't like the one I have and will probably get one like the one I got for my Touch. Or at least the clip because the 800 doesn't really need a case with that clip.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

Kamzilla is a n00b

DMC, or anyone else going from a Touch - How does the reception compare between the two?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w