PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Text Messaging Problems: PATCH IS OUT NOW, SEE STICKY

This is a currently known bug in the 700wx that causes SMS not to work for Verizon and T-Mobile.

Please read below and do not create other threads on this issue!

It's been happening since about October 2nd (it worked fine until that point).

Update 11/16 from Palm (thanks to kaiguy for getting this):

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support.

I understand that you are trying to follow-up on the SMS issue with the Treo 700w. I will also be answering your questions below:

Is there an estimated time frame to have a fix?
We really don't know when the patch will be released. We advise all the customer to check out our website but it will be out soon. The development team is still testing it and making some modifications.

Is this in fact a Sprint problem or a Palm software problem?
This is a Sprint and Palm software problem. So I would say both.

Why is it taking so long for a problem that is affecting 100% of all 700wx users?
As what I have mentioned to you earlier, we are working on the issue. The patch will be out soon.

4. Is it normal for a fix to take this long (and counting)?
It would basically depend on the issue. It's taking long coz' we are also testing the fix for the said issue. We want to release it that it will be bug-free.

For the meantime, I have a work around for the SMS issue if you want to try it for the meantime. You can use the email gateway for the wireless carriers to send SMS. Here is also the catch, you will be sending the SMS thru messaging but the recepient will receive it as an email. But once they reply, you will receive it as SMS.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the closest thing to an official explanation (10/25):

Quote:
"I do apologize for the problem with the sms messaging on the Treo 700 wx. Sprint and Palm are actively working on a software update to correct this problem. The issue is that the sms message was not being encoded in a universal format that is recognized by all Carriers. Standard SMS messages are sent using ASCII encoding, not binary. The 700w is sending the message in binary format. Many carriers, such as Sprint, can interpret a message send in either Binary or ASCII, although ASCII is the supported format. Verizon & T-Mobile doesn?t recognize a Binary message as a SMS message.
We don?t have an estimated date of the software release as of yet. I do suggest that you reply to the initial response from our customer care group to get the compensation that you deserve for this issue."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Shadowmite/Shadowmite.com

Quote:
I saw there was a glitch in the treo 700wx's texts which could sometimes lead to a message being left in a encoded base64 state when it shouldn't be, or encoded sometimes when it shouldn't be. Sprint had a minor part of that, they fixed it around the time this new bug began. The problem is palm's side has a equal mistake... It'll require a palm update to fix correctly, though sprint could patch their systems "incorrectly" again to fix it also... It's a matter of perspective.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What YOU can do

Write to EngadgetMobile to post a story:
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/tips/

Call Palm directly and complain:

813-313-4913

408-617-7000

Talk to Sprint Advanced Tech Support.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Lurker

celdridge is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to celdridge
Well .. this would explain so much, as most of my friends are using Verizon and not getting any of my text messages. Way to go Sprint :-p.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

CrazyGuy is a n00b
I wonder what compensation Sprint thinks we deserve for this issue.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:43 PM
Lurker

enolamyecart is a n00b
I've heard that Sprint will not be investing $$$ into resolving this until the end of the year. I also have found out that Palm is now involved.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Threadstarter

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by enolamyecart
I've heard that Sprint will not be investing $$$ into resolving this until the end of the year. I also have found out that Palm is now involved.

(a)
where did you hear this from?

(b) that doesn't make any sense

This is obviously a Palm problem as they did something wrong in the programming of this phone in regards to how it encodes outgoing SMS messages. It's been know for over a week that "Palm was involved"and that is ipso facto necessary due to the nature of the problem.

Because of this, they and only they can fix it. How is Sprint suppose to "invest $$$ into resolving this" when there is nothing they can do but wait for Palm to create a patch that they approve of?

Sorry your statement is somewhat bewildering and nonsensical.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:14 AM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
mala he said he heard and u know how those things go....dont be so harsh gosh.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideawake
mala he said he heard and u know how those things go....dont be so harsh gosh.
I know, I should've learned my lesson after the Sprint 750 incident. I need to believe everything people post

Oh wait...I was right.

Malatesta: bringing the harsh to the geeks & burning down the rumor mills
Old 11-01-2006, 01:41 AM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
lol its just reported doest mean its true....I mean look at how many conspiracy theories are out there....so convincing and others not. I mean who was the man on the grassy knoll? Or our presidents and all world leaders some master race from space...lol heck if it aint true oh well we can all get our kicks and giggles out of it. :P
Old 11-01-2006, 01:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

nitty917 is a n00b
I suggest anyone with Treos sending to another treo or other device on sprint not to send a text over 160 characters or you be getting a duplicate message like crazy!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

kaiguy is becoming a great contributor
I heard on FoxNews that the real reason SMS isn't working on the 700wx is because the Democrats want the terrorists to win.

As I stated over at TC, anyone who has this problem (which is pretty much all 700wx owners) should call retentions, explain your frustration, and politely ask for/see if they'll offer any permanent compensation. They gave me 500 texts/mo free for life. I believe someone mentioned they got unlimited for 2 years.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX