PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 03:27 AM
N00b

dman9271 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Please help a New Treo 700wx user!!

Ok, so I got my phone and now cant figure out how to download and use different programs. I downloaded a bunch of the programs listed in the downloads section but cant seem to figure out how to use them. My first problem is that my 700wx doesnt recognize most the files. It only seems to handle CAB files. Right now I have an EXE file that it wont open. Also, I have a PRC file, jad and jar files, msi., and RAR files. Is there a program I can get that will read these files?? I thought if I had WIN RAR or something like that it would read them but I tried to download RAR and it gave me an EXE file that I couldnt open. Lastly, when I downloaded TCPMP to watch movies it said that the version was not compatiable with my treo. I made sure that it was the newest version and everythign but it still wont work. Does anyone know why this would happen? Is there a different program I can use to convert a regular DVD into a format that would play in teh windows media player that is loaded on teh treo??

Thank you for any help, I really appreciate it. I really like this phone but I think im a little over my head in the different types of files and funcitonability of it.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:52 AM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
I may not have all the answers but here's a couple...

There's 2 ways to install programs on a Windows Mobile device.

You can copy a CAB file to the device and open it from it. This acts like an installer and installs the program on the device. CAB files can usually be deleted after the program is installed. I usually copy CAB files to my card, install them and then delete them.

The second way is while having the device connected to your PC through Activesync. To install a program on your device through this method you will usually execute an installer from the desktop that will interact with Activesync and install the program. Usually the files executed from the desktop are EXE or MSI.

RAR files are compressed files, you will probaly have to de-compress it and will find either a CAB or an installer. Sometimes programs have both files so you can choose your preferred method of installation.

I think JAD and JAR files are Java machine files. You would need to download Java and install it to run these apps. Run a search here or on sprintusers.com and treocentral.com for the Java file.

Don't know what a PRC file is, but I hope everything else helps. If anyone else has more info, or I missed something please feel free to add.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:54 AM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
yea all files downloaded from here you will need a .zip program which can extract the .cabs from. So I would suggest u stop by the freeware site in my sig and either download pocket rar or Total Commander. (note total commander is the .cab and pocket rar is a .zip so u will have to a.) go with TC. b.) download to desktop extract and move it over via activsync) once u have done this u can now extract the .cab and install. The ppc will only recognize .exes that are built for it. Most .exes u will download will be desktop installers which u will have to execute on ur desktop with ur ppc connected via activsync. As far as prc no clue about that one or what those files r 4. msi are to be installed on the desktop. .jad and .jar files take a program to run that is not free. (no clue why u would want them on ur ppc) .rar u will need pocket rar meantioned above so if u have alot of rars just go with pocket rar over total commander. no clue about tcpmp I dont have a treo myself....anyone else got an answer? and lastly no clue about movies I dont watch them on my ppc....so I hope this helps alittle.
~mike

Old 09-27-2006, 03:55 AM
Founder & Owner

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
haha looks like we finished about the same time.....u beat me to it
Old 09-27-2006, 09:42 AM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
TCPMP has different versions for each processor type, check that you are using the correct cab for the treos processor
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”

Robert Kennedy

Ha y'all come visit me at WMExperts some time.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:14 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

dman9271 is a n00b
Thanks guys, I figured out how to get TCPMP to work but it wont play my DVDs. It says I need to an MPG4 plug in. Any idea where I can get one of those??

I just did for the first time the sync thing. When you guys say I can install programs onto the treo from my desktop what do you mean? Do i have to install the programs onto my laptop first then drag over the completed file? FOr example, if its an EXE file do I open it and run it on my copmuter first then drag over into my files folder on my treo the completly installed program?

You guys are awesome!!! I wanna donate some money, let me know where to paypal it.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman9271
Thanks guys, I figured out how to get TCPMP to work but it wont play my DVDs. It says I need to an MPG4 plug in. Any idea where I can get one of those??

I just did for the first time the sync thing. When you guys say I can install programs onto the treo from my desktop what do you mean? Do i have to install the programs onto my laptop first then drag over the completed file? FOr example, if its an EXE file do I open it and run it on my copmuter first then drag over into my files folder on my treo the completly installed program?

You guys are awesome!!! I wanna donate some money, let me know where to paypal it.
Try downloading the AAC/MP4 plugin here:
http://ppcgeeks.com/aac-mpeg4-plugin...ac+plugin.html

That should do it. It was removed from TCMP for copyright/legal reasons.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:41 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

dman9271 is a n00b
thanks Malatesta, you are the man!!!

While i was installing stuff my today screen got messed up. The corresponding menus above teh right and left soft keys disappeared. I cant seem to figure out how to get them back. Are they customizable??
THanks
Old 09-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Founder & Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman9271
just install the exe while the ppc is connected to ur laptop and it will automatically install on ur ppc.
~mike

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX