PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

ebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CONFIRMED: No WM6 Update for Sprint Treo 700wx

Being inside, I have confirmed within the Microsoft organization that the Sprint Treo 700wx WILL NOT be getting an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6. The reason being that devices in the "+1" scenario, meaning the device family has received a +1 upgrade to the system already, don't get to go to the next version. They told me that the 700w/wx went from base WM5 to WM5+MSFP which is a +1 upgrade.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:58 AM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

late,
Coz
Old 07-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Lurker

Tranman79 is a n00b
Well, hopefully someone figures out how to rip poutlook from wm6 to install on wm5 devices. I really want HTML email...I don't like 3rd party email applications, like Flexmail.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: CONFIRMED: No WM6 Update for Sprint Treo 700wx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmorgan
Being inside, I have confirmed within the Microsoft organization that the Sprint Treo 700wx WILL NOT be getting an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6. The reason being that devices in the "+1" scenario, meaning the device family has received a +1 upgrade to the system already, don't get to go to the next version. They told me that the 700w/wx went from base WM5 to WM5+MSFP which is a +1 upgrade.
This, sadly, actually makes sense...

Moto Q
: Initially released without AKU 2.x/Got MSFP --> NO WM6 upgrade
ppc6700: Initially released without AKU 2.x/Got MSFP --> NO WM6 upgrade
Treo 700: Initially released without AKU 2.x/Got MSFP --> NO WM6 upgrade

Now, granted Sprint got the Moto Q with AKU 2.x and the 700wX with AKU 2.x, but I guess technically...it don't count, since the OEM did do the MSFP for those devices.

Now look at things like the Dash, Blackjack, Treo 750. 8525 etc. All came with AKU 2.x/3.x out the gates...all getting WM6.

That's a a specific pattern folks (and really the only one I've seen), so I'm going with no WM6 update for the 700wx.

Plus Verizon just got a minor ROM upgrade to the 700w/x. You would think they would have rolled out WM6 then.

800w...here I come
Old 07-31-2007, 06:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint PPC-6700
Carrier: SprintPCS

sniffs is a n00b
What's MSFP?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:23 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EvO 4Geezy

malibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmalibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmalibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wait, i thought the 700wx wasnt up to speed hardware wise to be updated to wm6? if this is actually the reason why a OFFICIAL update wont be available, wuz stoppin us from rippin a wm6 rom from the next wm6 palm device and puttin it on our wx's? like all the htc people do?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:51 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffs
What's MSFP?
Google broken?

Messaging and Security Feature Pack
Quote:
Wait, i thought the 700wx wasnt up to speed hardware wise to be updated to wm6? if this is actually the reason why a OFFICIAL update wont be available, wuz stoppin us from rippin a wm6 rom from the next wm6 palm device and puttin it on our wx's? like all the htc people do?
The 700wx can definitely do WM6, there are no hardware requirements that are different. 700w might be iffy due to low memory.

What stops us is that we don't have all the drivers needed to make it happen, as well as an established ROM kitchen for making custom ROMs. HTC devices are different since (a) they tend to be on many carriers, so they have tons of ROMs to work with (b) their file structure is fairly universal, whereas the Treos have less similaritiy. So it's not very straight forward.

I would not hold out for a hacked WM6 for the 700wx.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond

D-Bo is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmorgan
Thanks for being the bearer of bad news EB. I really didn't think we were going to get any love on the WM6.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: VZW

nemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to nemanracing
Now does this apply per device or is it carrier dependent? The 6700 as a device was released with aku 1.x, then was updated to aku 2.x, then an official aku 3.x was released(bell mobility's recent update).
History:XV6850 WM6.5,PPC6850 WM6.5 on VZW,XV6850 WM6.1/Telus Radio,VZW Omnia,XV6900 WM6.1/GPS/RevA,XV6800 WM6.1/GPS/RevA,XV6700 WM6,Samsung i760,Moto Q9m,Moto Q,XV6700,VZW Treo 700WX,Treo 700W,Samsung i730,XV6600,Treo 650,Treo 600,Kyocera 7135
Old 08-03-2007, 12:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: none
Carrier: none

anythingbutmine is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta
This, sadly, actually makes sense...
I agree: it does make perfect sense.

Still doesn't mean it's been confirmed, though. Likely? Absolutely. Confirmed? Nope.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX