PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 06:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Treo 700wx

catera59 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Upgrade mobile 5 to 6.1

Hi all I just got my Palm Treo 700wx and it has mobile 5 on it. I have tried to get software but it says I need mobile 6 or higher. Is there any way to download the newer version? I do not have a SD card either. I hope someone can give me some help. Thanks
Old 01-31-2009, 09:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 800
Carrier: Sprint

VibrantRedGT is becoming a great contributor
Re: Upgrade mobile 5 to 6.1

The 700wx is not equipped with enough RAM to run WM 6 or higher. Have you used a Mogul (PPC-6800)? Prime example of WM6 running on 64MB of RAM device. It can come to a crawl quickly with only a few things running. WM6 is a memory hog. The 700wx only has 60MB of RAM on board. Trust me you want WM5. Its not bulky and works very well with low memory devices.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:12 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
The 700wx is not equipped with enough RAM to run WM 6 or higher. Have you used a Mogul (PPC-6800)? Prime example of WM6 running on 64MB of RAM device. It can come to a crawl quickly with only a few things running. WM6 is a memory hog. The 700wx only has 60MB of RAM on board. Trust me you want WM5. Its not bulky and works very well with low memory devices.
Check your facts. I went from WM5 to WM6 and am now running WM6.1 with no performance issues. You are likely thinking of the 700W, which did have a serious memory issue. The WX has 128MB total, with about half of that available for user access.

@OP...look here on XDA for your Bell WM 6.1 ROM....http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=397134. It does require a SD card. You should be able to find a 1GB for a decent price @ Office Max or some such place. Flashing from a SD card is the better way to go. You don't have to worry about such things as your sync cable coming loose (this happened to me while flashing the WM6 ROM) or other disasters.

Last edited by Geekcop; 02-01-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Treo 700wx
Threadstarter

catera59 is a n00b

Thanks so much for your help. I am going to get an SD card and I will let you know how things work. Much appreciated.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

Good to hear. Just be sure to follow the instructions to the letter. You don't want to end up with a $500 paperweight. There are two versions for each carrier. One has IE Mobile 6, the other does not. Apparantly IE Mobile 6 uses a lot of memory. If that's a concern, then go w/the version without it.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:59 PM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!
Pocket PC: HTC TP Pro 2 (From HTC Touch Diamond)
Carrier: Sprint

lawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to lawmangrant Send a message via MSN to lawmangrant Send a message via Yahoo to lawmangrant Send a message via Skype™ to lawmangrant

I was running WM6.1 on my 700wx before it went to the wayside!

And some days, I would swear my 700wx was wayyyy better than my 800w.
PLAN:
Everything450, w/ unlimited mobile to mobile[B]

Need Dropbox? Use my referral here!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX