PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

almoreno2k is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gps?????????

Is there a GPS hack out there for the 700wx?
Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Re: Gps?????????

If you're on Sprint you'll need an external GPS. Read more here.

late,
Coz
Old 01-29-2009, 10:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

And if you're on VZW, you probably stand a better chance of growing wings and flying off to Mars, than getting GPS to work. VZW seems to have a thing about not enabling GPS in their devices.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:21 AM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!
Pocket PC: HTC TP Pro 2 (From HTC Touch Diamond)

lawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to lawmangrant Send a message via MSN to lawmangrant Send a message via Yahoo to lawmangrant Send a message via Skype™ to lawmangrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekcop View Post
And if you're on VZW, you probably stand a better chance of growing wings and flying off to Mars, than getting GPS to work. VZW seems to have a thing about not enabling GPS in their devices.
Growing wings sound painful!

But a GPC Puck would work, and it uses your bluetooth to talk to your phone.
PLAN:
Everything450, w/ unlimited mobile to mobile[B]

Need Dropbox? Use my referral here!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul
Threadstarter

almoreno2k is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie View Post
If you're on Sprint you'll need an external GPS. Read more here.

late,
Coz

yea I have sprint but I don't want to carry around a receiver all the time. my thing is, the gps is in there and 911 uses it, why can't we. I just thought by now someone must have made a program or hack for it to run without the receiver.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 PM
VIP Member

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by almoreno2k View Post
yea I have sprint but I don't want to carry around a receiver all the time. my thing is, the gps is in there and 911 uses it, why can't we. I just thought by now someone must have made a program or hack for it to run without the receiver.
One would think so...but I'm pretty certain PSAPS (911 centers) use cell tower location as opposed to GPS, as there are a number of phones that don't have GPS
Old 01-30-2009, 11:23 PM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!
Pocket PC: HTC TP Pro 2 (From HTC Touch Diamond)

lawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to lawmangrant Send a message via MSN to lawmangrant Send a message via Yahoo to lawmangrant Send a message via Skype™ to lawmangrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekcop View Post
One would think so...but I'm pretty certain PSAPS (911 centers) use cell tower location as opposed to GPS, as there are a number of phones that don't have GPS
Well, actually, they use both....

On the initial call to the 911 center, the system performs a phase 1 query, that is cell tower triangluaton.

After being connected, the phone operator can perform a phase 2 query, which will get GPS cordinates if available.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:26 PM
VIP Member

Good to know. Thanks mucho. In California, if one makes a cell call to 911, it goes to the nearest CHP (CA Highway Patrol) dispatch center, it's then relayed to the local PSAP, but that's if the caller happens to know what area they're in. If the system works as you say it does, that would really aid local first responders. When I started in police work, cell phones were about the size of a cinder block, if that tells you anything. 911 has come a long way.

Last edited by Geekcop; 01-30-2009 at 11:33 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX