PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Treo 700W/WX (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Gps????????? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=55520)

almoreno2k 01-29-2009 06:39 PM

Gps?????????

Is there a GPS hack out there for the 700wx?

CozBoogie 01-29-2009 06:50 PM

Re: Gps?????????

If you're on Sprint you'll need an external GPS. Read more here.

late,
Coz

Geekcop 01-29-2009 10:53 PM

And if you're on VZW, you probably stand a better chance of growing wings and flying off to Mars, than getting GPS to work. VZW seems to have a thing about not enabling GPS in their devices.

lawmangrant 01-30-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekcop (Post 677798)
And if you're on VZW, you probably stand a better chance of growing wings and flying off to Mars, than getting GPS to work. VZW seems to have a thing about not enabling GPS in their devices.

Growing wings sound painful!

But a GPC Puck would work, and it uses your bluetooth to talk to your phone.

almoreno2k 01-30-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozboogie (Post 677339)
If you're on Sprint you'll need an external GPS. Read more here.

late,
Coz

yea I have sprint but I don't want to carry around a receiver all the time. my thing is, the gps is in there and 911 uses it, why can't we. I just thought by now someone must have made a program or hack for it to run without the receiver.

Geekcop 01-30-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by almoreno2k (Post 679485)
yea I have sprint but I don't want to carry around a receiver all the time. my thing is, the gps is in there and 911 uses it, why can't we. I just thought by now someone must have made a program or hack for it to run without the receiver.

One would think so...but I'm pretty certain PSAPS (911 centers) use cell tower location as opposed to GPS, as there are a number of phones that don't have GPS

lawmangrant 01-30-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekcop (Post 679891)
One would think so...but I'm pretty certain PSAPS (911 centers) use cell tower location as opposed to GPS, as there are a number of phones that don't have GPS

Well, actually, they use both....

On the initial call to the 911 center, the system performs a phase 1 query, that is cell tower triangluaton.

After being connected, the phone operator can perform a phase 2 query, which will get GPS cordinates if available.

Geekcop 01-30-2009 11:26 PM

Good to know. Thanks mucho. In California, if one makes a cell call to 911, it goes to the nearest CHP (CA Highway Patrol) dispatch center, it's then relayed to the local PSAP, but that's if the caller happens to know what area they're in. If the system works as you say it does, that would really aid local first responders. When I started in police work, cell phones were about the size of a cinder block, if that tells you anything. 911 has come a long way.