PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

Kyusaku is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Kyusaku
Beam owner information?

I know how to beam contacts, but what about beaming your own contact information? Must you create an entry for yourself in the phone contact list? Seems kind of odd. Even my old Samsung A920 had the option to send my own contact information over bluetooth.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

wouldya is a n00b
isn't that the same as beaming a vCard? Only your a920 has you contact information in a separate location other than your contacts list so your own name doesn't show up in the contacts.

It's the same principle, but in two different storage locations. You have to still enter your information, right?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Kyusaku is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldya
isn't that the same as beaming a vCard? Only your a920 has you contact information in a separate location other than your contacts list so your own name doesn't show up in the contacts.

It's the same principle, but in two different storage locations. You have to still enter your information, right?
I'd have to check after work, but from what I remember the a920 had a menu options that said "Send Name Card" and "Send Own Card". I don't think I had to enter the phone's number but my name yes.

I have my info inputted in the ower's information of the phone and figured there was a way to beam that.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

wouldya is a n00b
I tried looking around the wx again, in Settings>Connections>Beam and there are no options like that. and in Contacts... there's only an option to beam a selected contact (also if you didn't know... to BT send a contact, highlight it and select Beam and then wait when the beam screen pops up. your BT will search for nearby discoverable devices to send to over OBEX).

but on palm OS, there was something similar to what you're talking about. But there you also had to make a contact for yourself and designate it your ''Business Card''. Then you could just ''Beam Business Card'', saving maybe 3 screen taps to goto contacts, find your name, and beam that.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Kyusaku is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldya
I tried looking around the wx again, in Settings>Connections>Beam and there are no options like that. and in Contacts... there's only an option to beam a selected contact (also if you didn't know... to BT send a contact, highlight it and select Beam and then wait when the beam screen pops up. your BT will search for nearby discoverable devices to send to over OBEX).

but on palm OS, there was something similar to what you're talking about. But there you also had to make a contact for yourself and designate it your ''Business Card''. Then you could just ''Beam Business Card'', saving maybe 3 screen taps to goto contacts, find your name, and beam that.
Thanks for the help, that's what I thought. I know how to beam contacts over bluetooth, but was hoping there was some sort of special designation for your own contact information, so you wouldn't have to add yourself in your contacts book. Which can look odd. Because there are times when I meet someone and they want my contact information, I just send it over bluetooth, instead of giving them my information vocally.

Something like that PalmOS option is what I was really looking for, but I guess WM5 doesn't have it. Very odd. To me your own information seems like the most beamable item, I don't care for beaming other people's information for the most part as most of my contacts are personal ones.

I appreciate the effort in trying to help. I'm somewhat new to the Treo, only had it for a week, but I'm throughly enjoying it.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx > Treo 800w > HTC Touch Pro 2 > HTC EVO

crazie.eddie is just getting started
I stumbled upon BizBeam, which acually does what you're looking for. It was made by Two Peaks Software Solutions, unfortunately, they had been bought out on Oct 2006, by Iambic. The software is available, but it's supposed to have a 5 day trial period. I'm not sure if it stops working or what, but you can find their obsolete product downloads here...
http://www.iambic.com/download/windowsmobile/obsolete/
Old 04-09-2007, 04:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I'm currently playing around with BizBeam. If you want it on your todays screen, DO NOT set to display large icons. When I do this, I cannot see the app on the today screen. Otherwise, it seems to function fine. I'm waiting to see what happens after 5 days, when the trial expires.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Kyusaku is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazie.eddie
I'm currently playing around with BizBeam. If you want it on your todays screen, DO NOT set to display large icons. When I do this, I cannot see the app on the today screen. Otherwise, it seems to function fine. I'm waiting to see what happens after 5 days, when the trial expires.
Cool, thanks eddie. Maybe I'll pick it up, and definitely keep me updated on what happens when the trial ends.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

No prob. It seems to work well so far, except for a screen I went through (I can't remember which one), but I think it was designed for a 320x240 screen. I'll install it on my iPaq H5555 and see how the screens differ.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Stupid me didn't realize it, but instead of waiting 5 days, why not just change the date on the clock, then run the app. Anyways, the app does render itself non functional after the trial period. I will contact the company that acquired TwoPeaks about maybe offering a serial number to use. Since it's a obsolete product and the company no longer exists, there should be a licensing issue.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX