PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help. My 700wx freezes and takes FOREVER to boot

All was well until I started adding some "tweak" applications. Among them were TreoAlert, TodayAgenda, etc.

The treo would start freezing up. Upon a soft reset a blank Start screen would appear then hang seemingly forever though I started finding it would suddenly finish booting after five minutes or more.

I could sure use some advice. I believe I'm backed up using Sprite. Should I try a hard reset? Anyone out there with a similar experience?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
I know that when I run pRSSreader than my 700wx takes longer than normal to boot up. It also skips the welcome screen and just shows a white screen (takes a bit of getting used to). I have both Today Agenda and the new Treo Alerts on my phone (alonge with about 20 other 3rd party apps) and really only notice a bit of slow down.
Have you run something like SK Tools or MemMaid to clean up your system? How much memory do you have left?

Late,
Coz
Old 04-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Lurker

ysagas is a n00b
Just do a hard reset... and dont add to much stuff as far as rss readers...
spb insight is so far the best ive had...
Old 04-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work
Thanks for the replies. SKTools looked like a good idea now and in the future so I cleaned up using it.

My Memory page shows: Storage 32.41MB free and Program 37.92 MB free after booting.

The bad news is that booting still took four minutes from soft reset to seeing Today. In the meantime I see the Start page with one of my email notifications until Today loads.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Well you could always uninstall your most recently added applications and then run SK Tools to clean out the registry, etc. I would do this especially if your device was working fine before adding the recent applications. Then add the applications one at a time and determine if one of them is the problem child.

If you have a backup of your phone that doesn't have any of the suspect applications you could always do a hard reset and load the backup. If your backup is recent and includes all of your added applications then doing a restore is pretty pointless as you would just be reloading the problems back onto your device.

Hope this helps...keep us posted.

Late,
Coz
Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Juggs is in the MOMENT

Yay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the community
are you installing these apps to main memory or to the storage card...if you isntall certain apps on the sc they have an adverse effect on boot time and minimization time as well especially any today screen plugin type apps like agenda or rss readers

Old 04-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I think we're heading in the right direction. I am looking at the things on the SC. I thought I read somewhere that when in doubt install to the SC to save RAM but I'm now doubting this advice.

I did just hit upon the fact that when I change the Today options, it hangs just like when I reset.

Will keep digging...
Old 04-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I uninstalled WeatherPanel and now it boots fine and Today Setting acts fine.

From reading other posts it seems everybody can run WeatherPanel but me.

Anyone have any info on incompatibilities?

Other apps installed:
SKTools
TodayAgenda
Sprint PCS Business Connection
SlingPlayer Mobile
GoogleMaps
Delorme SA2007
Total Commander
Sprite Backup
dotNET CF 2.0
Old 04-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Juggs is in the MOMENT

Yay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the community
to save storage use the upx software to compress your exe's and dlll's after installing the programs...the problem with wp is as soon as it feels like its running it tries to connect to update itself thus causing the hang up...perhaps you can check the settings so that it only updates manually...or at a certain time of the day...i dont use the ap as its kinda pointless...if you really know what the weather is like....go outside!!! or look out the window!!! just my opinion and i could be wrong!
Old 04-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Lurker

P930 is a n00b
I have been suffering very long delay (2-3 minutes at least) every time whenever I turn either the phone on or off using the wireless manager or the red phone button. I also suffer inconsistent connection with ActiveSync and I thought the only sure way with AS is to turn off the phone before I connect the sync cable. And the phone gets lock-up quite frequent whenever a phone call is done and EVDO is trying to re-establish. I called Sprint technical support and they told me to do a hard reset, and I posted to numerous forums to no avail. All along, I have been suspecting the culprit may relate to how I have been installing third party apps to the SD card instead of to the device, thinking I would save as much device memory and in the mean time be able to keep copies of the apps in case the device fails entirely. These assumptions are proved to be all wrong.

As soon as I read the posts above, I un-installed some of the WeatherPanel, AvantGo, Skype etc "trouble" apps, download the trial Memmaid and cleaned out all the junks in the memory, and boy, I am now back to turning the phone on and off without any delay, can connect to ActiveSync successfully every time without having to turn the phone off and so far I do not have any frozen phone after a call is disconnected. Lesson learned - do not install apps to SD and only install apps that are absolutely needed in the device.

Thanks to all the authors from the posts above that give me the inspiration to do what I have done now and really save me from performing a hard reset and lost all my valuable data. I am going to reference this post in the other Treo forums in case someone else is having similar issues like I did.

Cheers,
Tony
SF, CA

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX