PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Pro
Carrier: Sprint

goldenboytz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Treo 700wx problems to discuss....or maybe its too late.

Okay so I’m a silent observer and have had my Treo 700wx for about three weeks. Currently I’m in the process of exchanging it for at 700p and wanted to

A) gain some insights to ensure this is the right move
B) Give users my review on the phone.

Previously I had the 650 because it was compatible with my real estate software. I had the 700p previously and became so hooked on the EVDO internet speed, that when I switched back to a 650 I NEVER checked the internet. Its like going back to dial up…not cool.

So after upgrading to the 700wx here are my concerns/problems that has caused my relationship with this phone to be irreconcilable.

- I had to download a few 3rd party programs just to get the BASIC functionality that my Treo 650 had. For instance the threaded SMS, which I absolutely love. This took up just about all the memory for me.
- I downloaded an additional program to send pictures via MMS. This took up significantly more memory.
- Finally I had the City ID software that allowed me to see where a caller was coming from.

Now, a few weeks later and my phone has about 5 MBS of memory out of 65 (or something) left which makes it basically useless.

Problems I have had with this phone are the following:
- My phone will not allow me to make a phone call for several minutes saying “cannot complete call” and yaddie yaddie. I never had this problem with the 650. It will say “No Signal” but it wouldn’t just do it out of the blue and then the next second make a phone call.
- When an incoming caller calls, and I try to switch over to answer the other call, the phone will either hang up both calls, then call back with an unknown of the second caller or it will allow me to switch the call but I cannot go back to the original call. This sucks…
- I will get a “Out of Memory” error message and it will not let me click the box to close.

Now my rational is if the 700p does the basic functions the 650 does, then the memory increases in the 700wx is nominal. Because out of the box, I’m able to do what I love.

My purpose for having this phone is too maintain my schedule, send pictures / video’s, play an occasional game in a long meeting, surf the internet at a pretty good speed, text with a threaded message, and use if for my real estate. I figured if I’m having this much problems with the basic 700wx functions, what the heck is in store for me out there.

With that said, I’ve searched many posts before trying to find a solution. I’m pretty much at the end of the road. Palm, I’m sorry I cheated on you with this woman…please forgive me and take me back. You are already in the mail so we’ll have to make up when you return by me installing all the apps I had on my 650…and with all these apps, I still had space on my 650 so I can only imagine what fun the palm 700p will have in store (I’m joking with the connotations) ….

If anyone has any words to defend any of this I’m interested in hearing. If not, then another wx phone will bite the dust….Soprano style…..

Regards!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Re: Treo 700wx problems to discuss....or maybe its too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboytz

Now, a few weeks later and my phone has about 5 MBS of memory out of 65 (or something) left which makes it basically useless.
If you're doing a bunch of internet surfing you probably need to clear out your internet temp folders...they can eat into your memory in a hurry. You'll run into the same problem with the 700p if you don't clear out the temp folders. I have a bunch of 3rd party apps and still have about 20mb left.

Quote:
My phone will not allow me to make a phone call for several minutes saying “cannot complete call” and yaddie yaddie. I never had this problem with the 650. It will say “No Signal” but it wouldn’t just do it out of the blue and then the next second make a phone call
This sounds like a coverage problem or perhaps a defective radio.

The 700wx has more memory than the 700p. Being a Windows you can customize better than you can the 700p.

Just my 0.2 cents...probably won't sway you to stay with the 700wx but you gotta do what you gotta do.

late,
Coz
Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

goldenboytz is a n00b
P.S.>

My battery life is drained without me even using the phone causing me to have to constantly recharge.

Accessing Notepad or memo is a headache for quick notes unlike the 650.

I searched this site and looked for someone to discuss the problems I am having. Didn't find anything of substance. Hopefully at least this will help someone in the future.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

goldenboytz is a n00b
Re: Treo 700wx problems to discuss....or maybe its too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie

If you're doing a bunch of internet surfing you probably need to clear out your internet temp folders...they can eat into your memory in a hurry. You'll run into the same problem with the 700p if you don't clear out the temp folders. I have a bunch of 3rd party apps and still have about 20mb left.

This sounds like a coverage problem or perhaps a defective radio.

The 700wx has more memory than the 700p. Being a Windows you can customize better than you can the 700p.

Just my 0.2 cents...probably won't sway you to stay with the 700wx but you gotta do what you gotta do.

late,
Coz
Hey thanks for your post. I thought it was a coverage problem but it does it too frequently at locations my treo 650 never had a problem with.

I also went into my temp folder and deleted the items a few weeks ago. It now has about 17.15kbs worth of data.

I have also downloaded Resco Explorer and Registry Editor. But I still dont know why it takes so much memory just to do the basic 650 functions. And here I go thinking i was getting my upgrade on...
Old 04-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Coz-erator

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Quote:
P.S.>

My battery life is drained without me even using the phone causing me to have to constantly recharge.
You can modify certain settings (e.g., screen brightness, screen off, etc.) so that your battery will last longer. I can get 2-3 days out of my 700wx without charging and that includes about 10 calls a day, a bit of surfing, texting.

Don't take this the wrong way...but perhaps you need to familiarize your self a bit more with the phone and it's features. Or perhaps you got a dud of 700wx and should exchange it for another one.

late,
Coz
Old 04-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

goldenboytz is a n00b
Quote:

You can modify certain settings (e.g., screen brightness, screen off, etc.) so that your battery will last longer. I can get 2-3 days out of my 700wx without charging and that includes about 10 calls a day, a bit of surfing, texting.

Don't take this the wrong way...but perhaps you need to familiarize your self a bit more with the phone and it's features. Or perhaps you got a dud of 700wx and should exchange it for another one.

late,
Coz
Hey no I'm not taking this the wrong way. I appreciate your feedback. Because all of this is helping me in this decision. I have done all of that and have pretty much spent the greater park of the past month learning how to install hacks, registry edits, power management and etc. All things I never really had to do with the 650. I'm sure people may say, well just go back to 650.....but that would be a smart remark lol. I'm trying to upgrade my situation and identify what's the best course of action while giving some feedback to others.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

goldenboytz is a n00b
So you have about 20 Mbs left? I downloaded the threaded SMS app, the City ID, Resco Explorer, Arcsoft MMS, hannip A2DP to play music thru my blue tooth which haven't worked yet, and the Sprite Sprint backup.

Now I consider these programs to be basic except the blue tooth one for basic functionality. And these took up all my memory....
Old 04-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Coz-erator

Taking a quick look at my phone I have about 25 programs installed everything from games, Today Agenda, SK Tools, Hannip A2DP, Google Maps, Weather Panel, MMS, pRSS Reader, TCPMP and have 18..87 mb left.

Late,
Coz
Old 04-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

goldenboytz is a n00b
Quote:
Taking a quick look at my phone I have about 25 programs installed everything from games, Today Agenda, SK Tools, Hannip A2DP, Google Maps, Weather Panel, MMS, pRSS Reader, TCPMP and have 18..87 mb left.

Late,
Coz

Wow do you also have the threaded SMS installed? I thought that may have took all the memory up as it mentioned in other threads it takes up quite a bit. If you do, i may need to look at starting from stratch and see what I can come up with. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Coz-erator

Quote:
Quote:

Late,
Coz

Wow do you also have the threaded SMS installed? I thought that may have took all the memory up as it mentioned in other threads it takes up quite a bit. If you do, i may need to look at starting from stratch and see what I can come up with. Thanks!
That's yes to having the threaded SMS installed.

Late,
Coz

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX