PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 02:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Juslisten is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do you determine...

How do you determine what you install on your device and storage card? I am starting to download programs and I have a 2gb sd card. I know the wx has plenty of memory but I wanted to know how do you decide what to put where. Please give examples of programs that you have decided to put on your device versus the card and/or vice versa. Currently my program memory is at 57% and storage memory is at 33% ( just started ) Like I think I recall users placing their pics/music on their sd cards. If I change some of my programs and place them on my sd card will that lower my program memory ? Thanks in advance
Old 03-24-2007, 09:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

santos is just getting started
Having programs on your SD card will be slightly slower than the built-in program memory. I reserve my built-in program memory for any programs that have a today screen app or are system programs. This way they load the fastest when it counts.

Everything else goes to my 2gb SD card.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: DROID
Carrier: EVIL V

EDGE23 is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to EDGE23
everything that is on my today screen is saved on main memory like iLauncher, phonealarm, and weather panel. programs I don't use daily like memmaid, pocket rar, total commander, ect, ect are saved on SD card.
samsung 680, a700, 920, legendary 9k, a900, 6700, treo 700wx, 6800, 6700, 6800(collecting dust), as of 01/09/08 htc touch, and 5/24/08 finally the blackberry curve, 10/15/08 touch pro, 4/30/09 boring blackberry curve again.
12/04/09 DROID.
WM, HTC, and BB can go to hell now.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:05 AM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Yeah the basic rule of thumb is that if it goes on the Today screen, it's saved on main memory.

I don't have that much on my device, so right now I have all my apps on main memory and still have 21 MB free. And I run WA2, MemMaid, SKTools, iLauncher, PhoneAlarm, Google Maps, Live Search, and I don't even know what else.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 04-01-2007, 08:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Juslisten is a n00b
Thanks for all of the help. I was only asking because when I go and look at available memory I get a little nervous about program memory and storage memory. (I think I keep getting the two functions mixed up so if someone wants to give me a definition that will be great, keep reading and hearing different things) but thanks again
Old 04-01-2007, 01:15 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Program is basically your RAM, the memory where apps load their components to operate.

Storage is your "Hard Drive", where the actual application is saved when you choose to save to main memory.

You can free up program memory by closing applications or running a type of free-RAM function. You can free up storage memory by deleting temp files and uninstalling apps.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX