PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 07:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx > Treo 800w > HTC Touch Pro 2 > HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

crazie.eddie is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A few questions about Slingbox

I'm curious about Slingbox and may consider it as an option in the future, so I had some questions...

1. Is the Sling box connected after your cable box, or before? Basically, the antenna would go from the direct source, to your cable box, then your sling box?

2. Would I be able to watch a cable program on my device and a person at home watch another one on a different channel?

3. I understand I can watch a recorded show on my device if I had Tivo. I use Comcast cable and the cable receiver has a DVR. Does anyone else use this setup and able to view channels and/or pre-recorded shows?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-26-2007, 02:07 PM
N00b

SVT6700 is a n00b
slingbox

I was curious about this too...has anyone had success with this on their treo...is evdo fast enough to where it isn't choppy...
Old 03-28-2007, 02:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

kaiguy is becoming a great contributor
1. While some versions of the Slingbox have a tuner, the typical configuration would be from your video source (cable, sattelite, tivo, etc.) to the Slingbox, then the Slingbox to your TV, via S-video or RCA cables.

2. Short answer, no. The Slingbox takes control over the video device, so if you change the channel, the person watching TV would be forced to watch what you're watching, or visa versa. That's why I have my Slingbox hooked up to my bedroom TV (DirecTV), not the main Tivo in the house.

3. While I don't have Comcast, it should work fine. You control the unit, so as long as you have the patience to navigate through the menu system on a small screen, you can do anything with it.

As far as watching on EVDO, it looks great. Better than I would have ever expected, and much better than any other stream I've seen on my wx.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:30 AM
Lurker

wuid is a n00b
just want to add that the speed of the slingbox streaming is limited by your broadbank uplink at home, so if you have dsl with 128kbps uplink.. the picture on your Treo is probably not gonna be good even you have full strength of EVDO connection on your Treo. I got consistent 300kbps streaming from my dsl uplink and the picture is pretty decent.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

orangesuburban is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiguy

2. Short answer, no. The Slingbox takes control over the video device, so if you change the channel, the person watching TV would be forced to watch what you're watching, or visa versa. That's why I have my Slingbox hooked up to my bedroom TV (DirecTV), not the main Tivo in the house.
then you hooked it up wrong, what version slingbox are you using? with the sling box you should have 5 users + the actual tv all displaying different shows. with no one knowing anyone else is changing the channel...
Old 03-30-2007, 12:32 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
If you have the Slingbox connected to your DVR/Cable/Sattellite box it WILL take control over it. That's why you even have to place the IR sensons in front of the remote control port on your box.

That way you can control and even watch recorded programs from the box.

If you connect the Slingbox directly to the cable from the wall, then you can use the inernal tuner (if available on your Slingbox) to watch basic cable channels without disturbing the person watching TV.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

sheureka is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangesuburban

then you hooked it up wrong, what version slingbox are you using? with the sling box you should have 5 users + the actual tv all displaying different shows. with no one knowing anyone else is changing the channel...
I read your post somewhere else saying 5 users could be on the Slingbox at the same time - I've never heard anyone else say that, and the company website specifically says there can only be one Slingplayer user at a time. So how in the world do you have yours hooked up to use 5 different Slingplayers at the same time? - sheureka
Old 03-31-2007, 12:25 AM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
I don't know about that either. My box only allows 1 user at a time.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX