PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Treo 700W/WX (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   ROM Flashing-Hard reset or not? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=32113)

Geekcop 07-16-2008 06:26 PM

ROM Flashing-Hard reset or not?

After having my 700WX for nearly a year, I'm contemplating flashing it to one of the many (likely Ebag's) custom ROMs out there. In reviewing the threads here and over @ WMexperts and xda-developers, it appears there's two schools of thought. One recommends a hard reset before flashing, the other does not. Any recommendations on one vs. the other? And why?

Thanks mucho in advance

:occasion5:

crimsonSOLDIER 07-16-2008 08:55 PM

Re: ROM Flashing-Hard reset or not?

I really don't see the difference, when you flash, would'nt all your data be deleted anyways? I guess if you want to be completely safe, I guess you could do a hard reset. But I really don't see any pros or cons in between the two. Just my two and 1/2 cents.

mokash34 07-17-2008 02:52 AM

i see no difference either... but to be safe just follow whatever instructions you have exactly. if you are like me... your best bet is to trust the directions...

Geekcop 07-17-2008 10:32 AM

I agree. Whenever you're looking at the possibility of bricking your device, it's best to follow the directions to a "T." My question is which set of directions to follow? Those that recommend a hard reset or those that dont?

:scratch:

mokash34 07-17-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekcop (Post 350309)
I agree. Whenever you're looking at the possibility of bricking your device, it's best to follow the directions to a "T." My question is which set of directions to follow? Those that recommend a hard reset or those that dont?

:scratch:

When I flashed ebags trimmed WM6 rom onto my 700wx... I did a hard reset.

When I flashed roms onto the Mogul... I don't think I did any hard resets.

I have not noticed any difference... I guess there is no harm in doing a hard reset though... but usually when the new rom is being flashed... it does what it needs to do. example... if it requires a hard reset... it will wipe out your data... if it doesn't... it won't.

moral: I'm sure the hard reset couldn't hurt, but I would bet my money on it not making a significant difference. or any difference at all for that matter. Hope this helps

Geekcop 07-17-2008 02:27 PM

Exactly what I was looking for.

:)

mokash34 07-17-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekcop (Post 350703)
Exactly what I was looking for.

:)

http://discussion.wmexperts.com/showthread.php?t=164457

if you plan on flashing your treo to WM6... take note of what this tutorial says about hard resetting around step 5. once again, they know more than I do, so just follow what they say.

crimsonSOLDIER 07-17-2008 05:34 PM

I didn't perform a hard reset, I just copied the files to my SD card, then followed the basic flashing instructions-- popping out the batt, place SD card in, hold up vol^ button then place batt back in, etc... all my data's wiped out when downloading the DS (or something or other) and the BL, takes about 15 minutes for the flash process to complete, and like everybody else said, the Windows Mobile splash screen takes about 2.5-5x longer than usual. A few soft resets afterwards would probably benefit.

Painter_ 07-20-2008 01:39 PM

When flashing the treo 700 using ebags method I would hard reset after the flash. This is because the sprint updater that you use is designed to upgrade your rom not to change versions as we are doing.

A hard reset after a flash takes a few minutes. I call that cheep insurance.