PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 03:37 AM
Lurker

Stupid Vidiot is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
700wx Broadband Speeds

I've got a Treo 700wx and I am getting about 300 kbs broadband speed as per www.dslreports.com. This is my speed AFTER I've done the Maletesta registry and DNS tweaks. It was noticably slower before.

My speed tests were conducted while I had five bars under the antenna icon in title bar of the today screen. I've been reading on this forum and others how people are reporting speeds of 700-800 kbs. How can this be?

One thing to note, I rarely see the EDVO icon in the title bar with the double arrows that sometime animate. I am paying for this service and it is supposed to be available covering my entire area.

Should I be seeing the EDVO icon in the title bar? If not, then what could be the problem getting a third of the speed?
Old 03-10-2007, 03:44 AM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
What are you seeing instead? The 1xRTT arrows? If your service provider told you they have EVDO coverage in your area and you don't see it then you need to report an outage or a problem.

Lately with data plans you are just paying for high speed, they don't specify whether it is EVDO or 1x, so I wouldn't call them with the argument that you are paying for EVDO and not getting it unless you can convince them that the rep that sold the phone promised you that and that was the only reason why you went with the phone/plan.

Also, be careful with DNSs, some users reported after a while that they saw a decline in speed and either chose new DNS servers or went back to their default ones.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 03-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Stupid Vidiot is a n00b
Actually I forgot about something. I was running magicbutton with the option of showing showing the clock + 2 icons in the title bar. All this time it was truncating the EDVO icon in the title bar. I set magicbutton to show the clock + 4 icons, so now the EDVO icon is included in the four. My bad on that part of it. I do have EDVO working as it was all this time.

Now, I've been running the speed test at dslreports.com everyday at different parts of the day and at various locations. My download speeds have varied between 275 kbs - 388 kbs. I found the Treo PDF usermanual and it states that EDVO service provides download speeds of between 400-600 kbs and for some users as much as 1.8 mbs.

I am averaging around 300 - 325. It was noticibly slower before the tweaks, I would guess about 200 kbs. I would love to get around 600 kbs, any ideas short of exchanging my hardware?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Lurker

flipneck is a n00b
evdo speed

my 700wx does 735 right out of the box with two bars and the evdo icon.
sprint in phoenix with no tweaks.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX