PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Treo 700W/WX (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Treo 700w problems....HELP!!!!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=3100)

syrguy1969 03-07-2007 10:46 AM

Treo 700w problems....HELP!!!!!

I reached a total crash point last night and had to do a hard-reset. My magig button seems to be working better now (kept crashing before). I have not had a chance to re-install Sprite yet....part of my problem with Sprite was that it would act like it was doing a back-up, and then tell me the file was corrupt....and sure enough, when I tried to use it last night.....nothing. What happened last night was in trying to install PhoneAlarm: it totally crashed the phone, I couldn't do a thing except hard-reset. Now I am getting an error on reset: (of course...like taking a car to a mechanic, I can't get it to do it now (did it ALL night)) I think it has to do with an alarm I tried to download, I can't find it to uninstal though. Any help would be appreciated, I really don't want to hard reset again!! Thanks

P.S. One other thing...the font on the message system (incomming calls, caller data, missed calls......) is all messed up, it is very blocky and thick, almost like writed with magic marker (text size and clear-type had no affect).

DexterDawg 03-07-2007 12:04 PM

What programs do you have installed?

CozBoogie 03-07-2007 01:09 PM

Are you using UPX4PPC? I had a very similar problem and I believe it was related to the above program. I had compacted some programs and did a backup and then tried to restore, etc. I received the "file is corrupt" message.

that's just my 0.2 cents.

Late,
coz

Pibe38 03-07-2007 03:13 PM

If the error you received was about not able to open pawakeup.exe ot something like that you probably need to clean the registry with an app like SK Tools or MemMaid.

Stupid Vidiot 03-08-2007 12:48 AM

I had to do a hard reset for the first time and I had a folder full of sprite backups. I renamed all of the to more descriptive filenames such as:

12-05-06 - fairly stable running WP PA Ilauncher 411 google maps preinstall of logmein.pbf

That way I could choose exactly where I wanted to start over from. I was downloading or reg tweaking something everyday or sometimes multiple times per day. After it crash "for good" I attempted to restore a backup file and it returned an error. Then out of pure chance I renamed the file I was trying to restore to something short, eg: 12-05-06.pbf, and it worked! Evidently Sprite hates long filenames.

syrguy1969 03-08-2007 03:39 PM

Think I got it.

I think I have it squared away now, it was due to an alarm clock program (posted above, just terrible with names). The site had an uninstall program that cleaned things up. I am still looking for better apps, but thanks guys, I got a lot of help from these forums.

CozBoogie 03-08-2007 05:12 PM

Like Pibe stated above...get SK Tools or MemMaid and use it regularly. You'd be surprised what can accumulate after multiple installs and uninstalls of various programs.

late,
Coz

syrguy1969 03-08-2007 05:17 PM

I will look into SK tools, that is a new one to me. Soes SPB backup or Pocket Plus do that+ (Please remember I only have the w, so memory IS an issue)

Thanks

Pibe38 03-08-2007 08:33 PM

No, as far as I know Spb Backup and Pocket Plus do not perform any system tasks such as the ones SK Tool and/or MemMaid perform.

Juslisten 03-14-2007 05:07 PM

Quick question :scratch: about backing up with sprite? I have my sprite files being linked to my SD card ( :dontknow: don't know if that is a good choice or not yet hopefully it doesn't matter). Is there a limit to the number of backup files I can have? Will they overwrite each other when I have my scheduled backup? I currently have my sprite to backup my phone once a week. Do I need to change this to the everyday option? thanks :D